Sponsored by:

Porsche Financial Rates Dropping

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 03:04 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
i assume so, check with your dealer. My car is a C2S so it’s not the old Carrera only deal.
They requiring any down for you?
Old 08-14-2020, 04:31 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
They requiring any down for you?
Yes. I don't think anyone is financing a Porsche without a down payment.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:33 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Lol that's quite an assumption
Old 08-14-2020, 04:35 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Even a lease requires a down payment. But then again, you might be able to get no down financing from the local mob, but rates might be a bit high.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:02 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Even a lease requires a down payment. But then again, you might be able to get no down financing from the local mob, but rates might be a bit high.
Lol I guarantee you there are tons of people out there financing without down payments from Porsche for various models including 911s
Old 08-14-2020, 05:11 PM
Drizz
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 97 Posts

I financed through Porsche Financial just a couple of weeks ago. C2S so no 1.99% deal, but got 2.79%. I opted to leave just enough down to cover the sales tax and finance the rest with the cost of money being so low. I could have bought this car with cash if I wanted to, but why?? At 2.79% i'm leaving my money in the market and getting much more than that in returns. With the market how it is right now I've seen 10%+ returns in the last 30 days alone, so I've already paid for the interest for the life of the loan in the last month.

Not sure why people seem to think you need to leave huge down payments. I feel like this is an older way of thinking from folks that lived through 10-20% APRs on loans and mortgages, versus the cost of money today being damn near zero.
The following 9 users liked this post by Drizz:
bradleyjb (08-15-2020), LifesAnesthesia (08-14-2020), Marantz2270 (08-14-2020), markchristenson (08-14-2020), paddlefoot64 (08-15-2020), rockrdude (08-14-2020), surquhar (08-14-2020), WellDressedCar (08-14-2020), Wilsontour (08-15-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:10 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizz
I financed through Porsche Financial just a couple of weeks ago. C2S so no 1.99% deal, but got 2.79%. I opted to leave just enough down to cover the sales tax and finance the rest with the cost of money being so low. I could have bought this car with cash if I wanted to, but why?? At 2.79% i'm leaving my money in the market and getting much more than that in returns. With the market how it is right now I've seen 10%+ returns in the last 30 days alone, so I've already paid for the interest for the life of the loan in the last month.

Not sure why people seem to think you need to leave huge down payments. I feel like this is an older way of thinking from folks that lived through 10-20% APRs on loans and mortgages, versus the cost of money today being damn near zero.
That's good to hear, and basically my plan in a month. The monthly payment will be large, but the $150k (or whatever it is) will still be working for me.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:18 AM
Drizz
Racer

Originally Posted by markchristenson
That's good to hear, and basically my plan in a month. The monthly payment will be large, but the $150k (or whatever it is) will still be working for me.
Exactly. Even if you put it in something ultra conservative (and hence much more safe) you’re likely still going to get at least a 2.79% return on it so why not?
Old 08-15-2020, 12:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Exactly. Even if you put it in something ultra conservative (and hence much more safe) you’re likely still going to get at least a 2.79% return on it so why not?
I get the arbitrage play here, no doubt.

But what ultra conservative investment are you investing in that provides at least 2.8% return? Why at least 2.8% percent? Because you would need to make more than just a break even return right? And even at 2.8%, you'd probably still wouldn't break even with transaction costs.

So then what ultra conservative investment provides at least 2.8% return, if not at least slightly more?

It's not T-Bills.

It's not most ultra conservative income bond funds, which last I checked was somewhere around 2%, and that's before taxes.

You get something more aggressive like blended stock/bond funds, then you're just speculating. Which is ok, but then you are just gambling, ahem, speculating. Again, it's ok, but just realize that's what you're doing with money for essentially a luxury, discretionary good.
The following users liked this post:
BSO (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 01:42 AM
Drizz
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I get the arbitrage play here, no doubt.

But what ultra conservative investment are you investing in that provides at least 2.8% return? Why at least 2.8% percent? Because you would need to make more than just a break even return right? And even at 2.8%, you'd probably still wouldn't break even with transaction costs.

So then what ultra conservative investment provides at least 2.8% return, if not at least slightly more?

It's not T-Bills.

It's not most ultra conservative income bond funds, which last I checked was somewhere around 2%, and that's before taxes.

You get something more aggressive like blended stock/bond funds, then you're just speculating. Which is ok, but then you are just gambling, ahem, speculating. Again, it's ok, but just realize that's what you're doing with money for essentially a luxury, discretionary good.
not going to get into an argument here, but you did correctly call out my use of the “ultra”, which may have been misused. I intended to mean conservative, and not ultra conservative. I’m in my mid-30s so I may have a higher risk tolerance than some others on here (though maybe not). I’m personally comfortable making higher payments on the 911 while keeping the rest of the money (which I would have otherwise used on the car) invested in a blend of ETFs that range from conservative to risky. This represents only a portion of my investments so I’m happy with this particular investment mix. If we want to talk ultra conservative, there are risk free, FDIC insured CDs than can give you a return of over 2.79%. There are also AA rated municipal bonds returning more than this. I sensed your sarcasm in your reply, so I felt I had to at least point out there are indeed ultra conservative investments giving these levels of return.

my whole point here is that I don’t believe it makes sense to put huge chunks of money down on a car when you can finance for 2-3%. That’s just me.

by the way, I saw your post in another thread about your Pista and I’m jealous. Love that car.

Last edited by Drizz; 08-15-2020 at 01:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drizz:
kencalz (08-15-2020), paddlefoot64 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 02:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

not going to get into an argument here, but you did correctly call out my use of the “ultra”, which may have been misused. I intended to mean conservative, and not ultra conservative. I’m in my mid-30s so I may have a higher risk tolerance than some others on here (though maybe not). I’m personally comfortable making higher payments on the 911 while keeping the rest of the money (which I would have otherwise used on the car) invested in a blend of ETFs that range from conservative to risky. This represents only a portion of my investments so I’m happy with this particular investment mix. If we want to talk ultra conservative, there are risk free, FDIC insured CDs than can give you a return of over 2.79%. There are also AA rated municipal bonds returning more than this. I sensed your sarcasm in your reply, so I felt I had to at least point out there are indeed ultra conservative investments giving these levels of return.

my whole point here is that I don’t believe it makes sense to put huge chunks of money down on a car when you can finance for 2-3%. That’s just me.

by the way, I saw your post in another thread about your Pista and I’m jealous. Love that car.
All good.
The following users liked this post:
Drizz (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 05:23 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

I had the option in May at 3.74%...I put some money down but didn't have to...and now we've gone to 2.99%?? Damn!
Old 08-15-2020, 06:11 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by markchristenson
Well, hopefully the market doesn't nose dive so you are losing money on that $150K that you invested and are still paying the 2.8% finance charge. The only way to guarantee that doesn't happen is to have a guaranteed return on your investment that is higher than the finance rate after taxes--anything else is a gamble. Nothing like that exists now--a few years back you could get muni bonds at 5% tax free--today they're paying less than 2%. If you pay cash, at least you're saving the 2.8% finance charge which is like making 2.8% after taxes. I know this is a conservative evaluation, but it is what it is in today's environment and likely to stay that way for some time.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:22 PM
lpw016
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts

Debating on how to pay as well — when you can get rates at 2% why not finance the entire purchase?

What about if you put down 10-20% to cover the first year depreciation that way you can unload the car on the market if COVID/Economic conditions strain your income?

Curious how other people are paying; I’m not looking to pay cash for the entire amount; looking at a 992 TTS if that helps
Old 08-15-2020, 11:39 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Well, hopefully the market doesn't nose dive so you are losing money on that $150K that you invested and are still paying the 2.8% finance charge. The only way to guarantee that doesn't happen is to have a guaranteed return on your investment that is higher than the finance rate after taxes--anything else is a gamble. Nothing like that exists now--a few years back you could get muni bonds at 5% tax free--today they're paying less than 2%. If you pay cash, at least you're saving the 2.8% finance charge which is like making 2.8% after taxes. I know this is a conservative evaluation, but it is what it is in today's environment and likely to stay that way for some time.
while nothing HouTexCarreraS said is wrong, good points all, everyone’s situation is a little different. For example, selling assets to raise cash for the purchase can have substantial tax consequences, up to 34% tax liabilities. If the total financing cost is less than the tax liability than ya know choices.

Quick Reply: Porsche Financial Rates Dropping