Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Wiring overhead console for Radar etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 11:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by msile
"Valentine One works best when mounted high in the windshield"
If you don't want to read the entire discussion at the link I provided, read this---> https://www.radarbusters.com/How-to-...tor-s/2386.htm
The following users liked this post:
msile (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 11:54 PM
msile
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
If you don't want to read the entire discussion at the link I provided, read this---> https://www.radarbusters.com/How-to-...tor-s/2386.htm
Very interesting read. Thank you.
evanbahr (01-16-2024)
Old 03-15-2020, 11:58 PM
msile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AKSteve
If you tap into the Passenger Airbag on/off light, maybe the light will shut off permanently. I would consider that a Win/Win.
Lol. The film I used did the trick. Much much better. No more dentist's chair.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:42 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock

At risk of completely derailing this thread, I would challenge that one source you cited and say that mounting it as high as possible on the windshield is ideal. Picking up a laser signal is essentially useless, because if you pick it up, they've already tagged you. That may be the one and only advantage of having it close to your license plate. Having it higher up is better for picking up signals when cresting a hill, and will also give your detector better visibility out of the rear end of the car. Additionally, it's more visible to police and people who may want to smash your windshield to steal it, if it's mounted low where you have it. When it's tucked against the rear view mirror, it's actually not very visible from the outside.
The following 2 users liked this post by TrillyPop:
Noah Fect (04-18-2021), ScottTurbo (09-06-2022)
Old 03-16-2020, 07:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
Having it higher up is better for picking up signals when cresting a hill, and will also give your detector better visibility out of the rear end of the car.
Absolutely not true.

Please reference the first link I provided above to read my explanations why.

Additionally, it's more visible to police and people who may want to smash your windshield to steal it, if it's mounted low where you have it. When it's tucked against the rear view mirror, it's actually not very visible from the outside.
I never leave my V1 in my car when I'm going to be parking my car away from home.

I don't care what law enforcement thinks about my V1. I only use it in states where it is legal to do so.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:07 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I read your explanations about the "over the hill" scenario and they just don't make sense. I understand the scatter concept. The higher the detector is mounted, the sooner it will see any signal because that's the first part of the car that will crest. At the end of the day, it's probably moot because we're talking a 1ft difference. In terms of rear view visibility, if you have it mounted low, there's a chance the seat, driver/passenger, the dashboard itself, or something in the back could block signal from getting to the rear detector. Again, does it make any measurable difference? Probably not. I still much prefer the hidden wiring, having the mute button mounted next to my finger on the shifter, and that the detector is firmly mounted and doesn't bounce around on the suction cup mount, and that it's tucked against the mirror so barely visible. All big advantages for me. Ok, enough for me on that topic.
ScottTurbo (01-21-2022)
Old 03-17-2020, 01:46 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I read your explanations about the "over the hill" scenario and they just don't make sense.
I didn't invent the physics, I'm just explaining them.

The higher the detector is mounted, the sooner it will see any signal because that's the first part of the car that will crest.
Did you read all my posts in that thread? The radar detector does not need direct line of sight to the radar transmitter to receive the radar energy. This is fundamentally important to understand.

At the end of the day, it's probably moot because we're talking a 1ft difference.
It's actually 9 inches or less.

And it's moot because there is normally enough radar energy bouncing around inside the car to trigger an alarm even if the detector is sitting in the passenger's seat.

In terms of rear view visibility, if you have it mounted low, there's a chance the seat, driver/passenger, the dashboard itself, or something in the back could block signal from getting to the rear detector.
Not a chance. Once again, the radar detector does not need to have a direct look at the radar transmitter before receiving enough energy to alarm. The radar energy in and around the car from a radar transmitting from behind you is more than enough to trigger an alarm even if you had the detector pointed forward and strapped to the middle of the passenger's headrest.

I still much prefer the hidden wiring, having the mute button mounted next to my finger on the shifter, and that the detector is firmly mounted and doesn't bounce around on the suction cup mount, and that it's tucked against the mirror so barely visible.
All good, but the discussion was about whether or not the low mount reduces detection range, and the answer to that is absolutely not. Plus the low mount improves the chances you will get an alert from laser in time to make a speed reduction.

BTW, my V1 doesn't bounce around at all when mounted to my windshield. But it has to be mounted correctly for this to be the case.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:31 AM
msile
Rennlist Member

Good discussion. At this point it is a matter of preference. Dock's links were educational and TrillyPop had logical arguments. The fact is, I have had it installed in multiple locations and the variances are not that significant. Based on my driving habits and preferences, I will mount it under the mirror (split the difference), hard wire it (because I am OCD) and call it a day.
The following 3 users liked this post by msile:
Glerald (09-09-2021), vg247 (01-24-2023), Yojeffo (07-01-2021)
Old 03-17-2020, 02:41 AM
Slingray
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Love your floor tiles, where did you get them?

Old 03-17-2020, 12:08 PM
msile
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Here you go......

https://www.garagetek.com/
Slingray (03-24-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 12:45 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

OP, great write up!

I too have GarageTek tiles on my floors. Very happy with them.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:51 PM
msile
Rennlist Member

Updated with radar installed.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

So how did you tap into the blue connector?

I assume that you never did because you show the coiled wire going down...
Old 03-24-2020, 09:18 AM
msile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevensivak
So how did you tap into the blue connector?

I assume that you never did because you show the coiled wire going down...
Where do you see a coiled wire?
The only wire is the straight wire with spade ends that can be inserted into the blue plug I showed you.....no cutting. You can also purchase this wire from blendmount

https://blendmount.com/mirrortap
vg247 (02-06-2023)
Old 03-24-2020, 09:27 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

This looks like a coiled wire and I thought you spliced the wires into the blue clip-

Since you never showed the blendmount wire w/ spades I assumed you tapped into the blue
connector somehow

Quick Reply: DIY - Wiring overhead console for Radar etc.