Sponsored by:

30 days with my 992 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 10:29 AM
njcycleguy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 30 days with my 992 Cab

Just wanted to share some thoughts on my 2020 992 Cab (non-s) for those on the fence or those waiting for theirs to arrive. I bought this car as a GT, I did not opt to build a super high performance spec. Coming out of a 991 GT3 I didn't want another hardcore 911 and frankly as awesome as the GT3 was, it was too compromising for my needs (no back seats, stiff ride, etc). I did not order PASM, Sport Chrono, or rear steering. The only options were black 20" wheels, red leather interior, GT heated steering wheel, 14 way seats, and a few other options.

Likely a lot of my experiences have already been shared, but hopefully this just summarizes the good (and the not so good) of the 992 cab.

The good
- Non-s motor more than adequate for this car
- Base audio system sounds great (no need for Bose IMHO)
- New paddle shifters feel more crisp (although still a bit small for my taste)
- Steering is incredibly precise and noticeably improved over my 2013 991 (non-s) coupe
- Top operation is fast and effortless, being able to put up or down at 25 mph is great
- With diffuser up and windows closed, zero wind in cabin
- It's a 911 - driving dynamics are amazing, and how they keep improving on it generation after generation is amazing

The not so good (mostly interior)
- The instrument cluster is just a poor design. I thought maybe I'd get used to it - but I never use the far right and left screens, simply because I can't see them.
- The retro tach is meh - I miss the Porsche script from the 80s and 90s
- The PCM system takes a long time to wake up - like 30-45 seconds.
- Ergonomically the touch screen is poor - seems like they just jammed the Panamera unit in there
- Logic of the switch layout - not sure why sport and suspension buttons are not next to each other
- Don't like having to use touch screen to adjust air direction
- The black pieces next to the shifter - WHY?
- The nub shifter - at this point, why even give us a nub? I have to hit a button for P - so why not give us buttons?
- Doors take some time to get used to and don't open or close easily - the two stage interior door handle is strange
- Carplay works - until it doesn't - and then works again - then decides it won't.

Hopefully I'll grow to like the interior and it will become part of the charm of the 992. Right now I feel like it was a bit rushed and feels very "corporate" if that makes sense.

Overall I'm very happy with the car - especially on sunny warm days (which we've had here in NJ)
The following 4 users liked this post by njcycleguy:
FSB (03-15-2020), Mike Murphy (03-14-2020), Noah Fect (03-14-2020), porschedood5000 (03-15-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 11:49 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Nice write-up. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
tvlaan (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 12:17 PM
Mvagusta
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

perfect, WRITE UP... There is no emotion in the interior or fluidity. Porsche cannot expect 150K, for something that is incomplete. I really look for value in items, the retro/modern sytling of the interior and just the rear end. Just seems wrong. IMO
Old 03-14-2020, 06:48 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

Any glitches with the electronics? I was driving around earlier and I got a message about the adaptive cruise control not being available. And my car isn’t dirty, so it’s not a blocked sensor. A half an hour later I got a message that the auto on/off wasn’t working. And my car has less than 500 miles. Also, I mentioned in another thread that my tire sealant exploded and leaked all over the frunk.

Last edited by AKSteve; 03-14-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:57 PM
Hitesh Patel
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for the update . I am getting cab and your input has helped . First Porsche . So on the nerves
Old 03-14-2020, 07:54 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by njcycleguy
Sigh. I am so sad that they consider this acceptable. I so, so, so, so hate touch screens - and this is the icing on the hate cake.
Noah Fect (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 12:39 AM
njcycleguy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
Any glitches with the electronics? I was driving around earlier and I got a message about the adaptive cruise control not being available. And my car isn’t dirty, so it’s not a blocked sensor. A half an hour later I got a message that the auto on/off wasn’t working. And my car has less than 500 miles. Also, I mentioned in another thread that my tire sealant exploded and leaked all over the frunk.
No glitches other than the long delay when starting. I did perform an update recently (the car advised that an update was available)
Old 03-15-2020, 03:36 AM
FSB
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
it looks like you have low battery
Old 03-15-2020, 03:42 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 820 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by FSB
it looks like you have low battery
I actually think there might be a gauge for that. I'll check tomorrow.
FSB (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 05:44 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by njcycleguy
Just wanted to share some thoughts on my 2020 992 Cab (non-s) for those on the fence or those waiting for theirs to arrive. I bought this car as a GT, I did not opt to build a super high performance spec. Coming out of a 991 GT3 I didn't want another hardcore 911 and frankly as awesome as the GT3 was, it was too compromising for my needs (no back seats, stiff ride, etc). I did not order PASM, Sport Chrono, or rear steering. The only options were black 20" wheels, red leather interior, GT heated steering wheel, 14 way seats, and a few other options.

Likely a lot of my experiences have already been shared, but hopefully this just summarizes the good (and the not so good) of the 992 cab.

The good
- Non-s motor more than adequate for this car
- Base audio system sounds great (no need for Bose IMHO)
- New paddle shifters feel more crisp (although still a bit small for my taste)
- Steering is incredibly precise and noticeably improved over my 2013 991 (non-s) coupe
- Top operation is fast and effortless, being able to put up or down at 25 mph is great
- With diffuser up and windows closed, zero wind in cabin
- It's a 911 - driving dynamics are amazing, and how they keep improving on it generation after generation is amazing

The not so good (mostly interior)
- The instrument cluster is just a poor design. I thought maybe I'd get used to it - but I never use the far right and left screens, simply because I can't see them.
- The retro tach is meh - I miss the Porsche script from the 80s and 90s
- Ergonomically the touch screen is poor - seems like they just jammed the Panamera unit in there
- Logic of the switch layout - not sure why sport and suspension buttons are not next to each other
- Don't like having to use touch screen to adjust air direction
- The black pieces next to the shifter - WHY?
- The nub shifter - at this point, why even give us a nub? I have to hit a button for P - so why not give us buttons?
- Doors take some time to get used to and don't open or close easily - the two stage interior door handle is strange
- Carplay works - until it doesn't - and then works again - then decides it won't.

Hopefully I'll grow to like the interior and it will become part of the charm of the 992. Right now I feel like it was a bit rushed and feels very "corporate" if that makes sense.

Overall I'm very happy with the car - especially on sunny warm days (which we've had here in NJ)
Thanks for the detailed review... also in NJ, and in my first week w my 992 C2s MT.

First of all very cool to hear that you love the driving dynamics of a 992 base cab, coming from a 991 GT3, what a testament to the engine and chassis.

On the instrument panel, I was kind of thinking yesterday some of the same things, in particular that most of the tech/creativity in the digital instruments is for nothing, since the only parts of it I use is the tach, the speedometer imbedded in the bottom of it, and the multifunction display ‘gauge’ immediately to the right of the tach. The actual speedometer to the left of the tach and the two outer rings, 1 and 5, I don’t see of course.

That having been said, i would have said the exact same thing on my 991.2 setup, and I think maybe my 996.2 wasn’t much different (you could see all 5 overlapping gauges but many were too small to really catch your eye).

i don’t have an issue w the tach though, in fact I think it’s well executed. Anyway, we’ve been doing the 5 gauge thing forever, it’s obviously a retro form over function thing at this point, but at the end of the day I get what I need relatively easily from the tach+mfd next to it, and won’t dwell at how the rest is mostly in vain.

On your pcm startup issue, I think you have a car-specific problem and hope they address it quickly for you.

On CarPlay, I was warned it would work sometimes and not others by my salesperson (so your issue seems pervasive) but actually it always works for me, wireless or plugged in... so maybe there’s hope on this? Maybe some phones or some cars connect better than others? Maybe related to your PCM, which seems to have other issues?

Lastly, union county here, what part of jersey and any favorite roads?

Old 03-15-2020, 10:00 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
Thanks for the detailed review... also in NJ, and in my first week w my 992 C2s MT.

First of all very cool to hear that you love the driving dynamics of a 992 base cab, coming from a 991 GT3, what a testament to the engine and chassis.

On the instrument panel, I was kind of thinking yesterday some of the same things, in particular that most of the tech/creativity in the digital instruments is for nothing, since the only parts of it I use is the tach, the speedometer imbedded in the bottom of it, and the multifunction display ‘gauge’ immediately to the right of the tach. The actual speedometer to the left of the tach and the two outer rings, 1 and 5, I don’t see of course.

That having been said, i would have said the exact same thing on my 991.2 setup, and I think maybe my 996.2 wasn’t much different (you could see all 5 overlapping gauges but many were too small to really catch your eye).

i don’t have an issue w the tach though, in fact I think it’s well executed. Anyway, we’ve been doing the 5 gauge thing forever, it’s obviously a retro form over function thing at this point, but at the end of the day I get what I need relatively easily from the tach+mfd next to it, and won’t dwell at how the rest is mostly in vain.

On your pcm startup issue, I think you have a car-specific problem and hope they address it quickly for you.

On CarPlay, I was warned it would work sometimes and not others by my salesperson (so your issue seems pervasive) but actually it always works for me, wireless or plugged in... so maybe there’s hope on this? Maybe some phones or some cars connect better than others? Maybe related to your PCM, which seems to have other issues?

Lastly, union county here, what part of jersey and any favorite roads?
Nice photo! Thanks for sharing. I lock in two weeks if production doesn’t have virus delays.

I lived in Hardwick Township north of Blairstown and loved the roads up there. Northwest NJ driving is wonderful.

Quick Reply: 30 days with my 992 Cab