Sponsored by:

992 at Barber Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 08:32 PM
jkwb
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 992 at Barber Motorsports

I spent the day in Alabama for the first day of a two day Masters class at the Porsche facility. I have a C2S cab on order waiting to be put on a ship, but who knows when that may actually happen. Today was what I'd call my first real test drive. We had the chance to be out on the track in 991.2 GTS (pdk and manual) as well as the new 992S's. It was a fantastic day for sure and the 992 was thrilling on the track. It was interesting to hear the instructors gush over the new car independently. They don't strike you as someone on the Porsche handout line, either, trying to sell the brand. The looks on their faces when I mentioned I have a 992 manual on order only made me more excited for my car to eventually arrive. Certainly a first world problem with the world as it is, but it was a great day to forget everything else and drive hard and fast. Hopefully even better tomorrow.
The following 3 users liked this post by jkwb:
Big Swole (03-14-2020), rhr992c4s (03-14-2020), russbert (03-15-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 09:18 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 755 Posts

Done that numerous times, they are the spokespeople for the brand. They drink the cool aid all day long. Not necessarily a bad thing as the machines are great
I'm going back for another RSR in April, but I think this time no RS on deck. Transition time, in 2 years will be interesting with the full lineup available.
They'll probably have GT4s soon to hold the spot for the GT cars.
Their cars have PDCC which is great for those days there but masks a serious issue with non-GT cars, which is brake cooling. Barber is not a power course, so one can really abuse the ceramics. When I tried to drive my 992, I cooked the brake fluid fairly quickly. So when you get your car, if you intend to track, the bare minimum would be SRF, in my opinion. Pagids, Cup2s are good upgrades as well. I wrote a track dat thread a while ago.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,334 Posts

I've done Barber several times on Two wheels (Yamaha R1) during track days but never in 4 wheels. I'd love to do that class / a class there in a Porsche.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:26 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

SRF?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:53 AM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts

Hit me up the next time you're in Bham. That's my home track, this is my town. Love to show fellow P-car guys around.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:58 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevensivak
SRF?
Castrol SRF brake fluid. My personal favorite. Never managed to boil that one. People also like endless, which I have now but yet to track it.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:04 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Hit me up the next time you're in Bham. That's my home track, this is my town. Love to show fellow P-car guys around.
Will do. The course doesn't leave a lot of time between track, commute and the dining.
It's a prime experience, highly recommended it, With that being said, I may not do it again after April as it's quite expensive at RSR level (10400 at the time of this writing) and I think open wheel may be a new interesting challenge.

Fact is, once you like that lead/follow as courtesy from your dealer, that rabbit hole may take you to amateur racing, with all the expensive stuff in between. It doesn't take long to feel that track days are boring. Also remembering one think someone told me on a track: do you know how to get out of amateur racing with a $1M? Start with 2.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (03-16-2020)

Quick Reply: 992 at Barber Motorsports