Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Approved for financing on my 992 custom build, then denied when car arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020 | 04:15 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Different providers calculate scores differently. My bank has me at 765 and credit card at 837.
Old 02-29-2020 | 04:21 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by detansinn
Working under the assumption that your $12k/mo is W-2 income, your after tax income is probably somewhere around $90k/year or about $7,500/mo. So, a hypothetical loan payment for your 992 is probably north of 30% your net W2 income. That doesn't leave much room for other debts, student loans, credit cards, etc. Beyond debts, if you spent $15k moving into your apartment, you're probably spending a healthy chunk per month on that too. Finger in the wind here, your debt to income ratio isn't working for the borrowing necessary to make this happen.

What about side hustle income? Well, it takes about 3-5 years of history for independent consulting income to be taken seriously by lending institutions. Even then, 1099 income just isn't viewed by banks in the same way as a W2 -- it's almost never recognized anywhere near 100%. Why? 1099 income has to be collected, clients stiff vendors all of the time, and the customer/vendor relationship is fundamentally different than that of a W2. Plus, if your side hustle is throwing off that level of dollars, you're on the hook for substantial quarterly tax payments.

Your girlfriend may have a great credit score, but if her income couldn't cover the 911, her co-signing doesn't necessarily solve your problem. While you mentioned everything else about her family, etc, mention of her income was conspicuously absent. It doesn't matter how wealthy your parents are when you enter adulthood, even a trust fund has to throw off enough cash to cover the nut.

With that, I suspect that you're being denied, because the debt to income doesn't work here. Strong clue? the SA suggested a higher down payment, likely in attempt to get your monthly payment just under the wire to be able to buy this car. The interest rate that will come with that deal will suck, just a heads up.

40 hard credit pulls? That's the kind of detail where I feel like something is missing from the story. It's your business to disclose and what not to disclose, but if you've got 40 hard pulls and are not the victim of fraud, you've been looking at making a lot of big ticket purchases. That's also a lot underwater for that BMW after 3 years -- I suspect that likely wasn't a 60 month loan.

I'm doing my best not to climb on my fatherly soap box here, but having a kid approximately your age, I am going to say it -- a brand new 911 can wait.
Here we go!!
Old 02-29-2020 | 04:25 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Yzfrr11
I'm betting no
Ahhh yes, another useful comment. SO HELPFUL
The following users liked this post:
TacoSmasher (10-23-2021)
Old 02-29-2020 | 04:45 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
‘Not totally accurate I have zero debt, and have 3 charge cards and pay the full balance off monthly with a 835 score. The ratings look at available credit vs what I charge monthly as I use my card on 95% of my transactions. The key is how much open credit do you have vs what you use.
this is emphatically not how credit scores work. You have a mortgage or a history of paying off loans. If you go fully debt free and cash only for long enough that your past loans are no longer on your credit history, you will get screwed. PNA will not finance you.

Further the aggregate score is not especially meaningful. Auto finance will focus on the subsection of just auto and home loans. Credit cards matter zero for auto loans. Unless they are bad. Obviously bad things always count against you.

credit score is for the credit game.

there are several recent articles (wall st journal or wash post) about more upcoming changes to ensure renters have their expenses attributed as most land lords don’t report to credit agencies
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:02 PM
moomin
Instructor

Look at your financial situation objectively with no other factors (emotions). It's a terrible idea for you to buy this car.

Clear your debt completely, max out retirement accounts, save up 6 months emergency fund. Then save for the car.

It's possible corona is going to tank the economy long term. Consider that too.
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:03 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

I used to have no credit. I went to buy a car and was told that I was what they call a "credit ghost" because I paid cash for everything. So I built my credit up to almost 800 and then one day when buying a BMW, I was talked into financing the car to get a sales incentive. I paid the car loan off in the very first month, but my credit has never been the same since. For example, I used my credit card more than normal during the holidays and then in January my credit rating went down 25 points because, according to Credit Karma, my monthly balance had increased by $3,000. So the next month, I made sure to make a payment on my credit card every time my balance got close to $1,000. My balance was almost $0 in February and my credit rating went down another point because...my balance went down. And when my credit rating actually does go up, it'll go up by like 1 or 2 points in a given month. I think my current credit rating is 725 and I've decided I'm just not going to worry about it anymore.
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:04 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
this is emphatically not how credit scores work. You have a mortgage or a history of paying off loans. If you go fully debt free and cash only for long enough that your past loans are no longer on your credit history, you will get screwed. PNA will not finance you.

Further the aggregate score is not especially meaningful. Auto finance will focus on the subsection of just auto and home loans. Credit cards matter zero for auto loans. Unless they are bad. Obviously bad things always count against you.

credit score is for the credit game.

there are several recent articles (wall st journal or wash post) about more upcoming changes to ensure renters have their expenses attributed as most land lords don’t report to credit agencies
Agree partially, you charge enough of a credit card and pay off monthly it will carry weight. Remember your income is the biggest factor, and home ownership on record they will finance you. My argument was my credit score is 835 with zero loans, and agree it’s all a game. When, I was 23 I had a sh*t load of credit debt, and I vowed to never get in that situation again ..........never give the credit folks power if you can.
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:11 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I used to have no credit. I went to buy a car and was told that I was what they call a "credit ghost" because I paid cash for everything. So I built my credit up to almost 800 and then one day when buying a BMW, I was talked into financing the car to get a sales incentive. I paid the car loan off in the very first month, but my credit has never been the same since. For example, I used my credit card more than normal during the holidays and then in January my credit rating went down 25 points because, according to Credit Karma, my monthly balance had increased by $3,000. So the next month, I made sure to make a payment on my credit card every time my balance got close to $1,000. My balance was almost $0 in February and my credit rating went down another point because...my balance went down. And when my credit rating actually does go up, it'll go up by like 1 or 2 points in a given month. I think my current credit rating is 725 and I've decided I'm just not going to worry about it anymore.
725 is still top tier credit, it’s all algorithms and big dips will swing. I went from 835 to 710 in a month because my I used 50% of my credit on a big purchase. Paid it off when the bill came 2 months later back above 800. I do well on cash back on my purchases, just wish I could charge a car(:
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:16 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clutchplate
If you can't afford three of something, you can't afford one.
I’m a big fan of this rule. Bad **** happens all the time. Cars get broken into. Houses burn down. Accidents happen on the road. Companies randomly restructure and fire swaths of people who didn’t do anything wrong. Spouses sometimes **** off with half of everything. Folks get sick or injured.

being able to trivially buy a replacement of whatever it is makes life a lot less stressful.
Maverick787 (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:31 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

I’m a big fan of this rule.

being able to trivially buy a replacement of whatever it is makes life a lot less stressful.
If you can afford one of something, you can afford one of something. Most people budget things out and don't have the money or luxury to consider purchases as trivial.

Only buy something if you can afford 3 of them is absolutely absurd.
chandanYOGI (01-23-2021)
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:32 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Agree partially, you charge enough of a credit card and pay off monthly it will carry weight. Remember your income is the biggest factor, and home ownership on record they will finance you. My argument was my credit score is 835 with zero loans, and agree it’s all a game. When, I was 23 I had a sh*t load of credit debt, and I vowed to never get in that situation again ..........never give the credit folks power if you can.
I sympathize. However if you refuse to play by the credit agency game rules, they’ll penalize you in a myriad of ways. If you are otherwise all cash no debt, I’d encourage you to at least consider using the ridiculously low interest rates to finance a car and consider the interest simply the price of the game. Or alternatively buy an investment property with an attractive mortgage rate, and hire a rental company to manage it.

or be like AKSteve above and just don’t give a **** that your rating will be penalized. But someday you might decide to lease because you just want a car for 3 years no hassle, or you don’t feel like liquidating some of your investment assets earning > 5% when the loan will be 3% and want to finance for strategic reasons and then be inconvenienced by denials and higher interest rates.
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:53 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I sympathize. However if you refuse to play by the credit agency game rules, they’ll penalize you in a myriad of ways. If you are otherwise all cash no debt, I’d encourage you to at least consider using the ridiculously low interest rates to finance a car and consider the interest simply the price of the game. Or alternatively buy an investment property with an attractive mortgage rate, and hire a rental company to manage it.

or be like AKSteve above and just don’t give a **** that your rating will be penalized. But someday you might decide to lease because you just want a car for 3 years no hassle, or you don’t feel like liquidating some of your investment assets earning > 5% when the loan will be 3% and want to finance for strategic reasons and then be inconvenienced by denials and higher interest rates.
I buy from 2 dealers and I know them, and honestly I don’t get into the game on 2 points of return on 100k to 200k. I’ve seen a lot of bad things happen with that thinking with guys that have 5X more than me. Crap happens, and I rather be on the cash side vs credit. I’m jaded from a bad experience when I was younger. My credit score has not been a problem .....I leased a car 3 years ago because I knew the value would crash. They ran my credit and it showed 3 credit cards and zero debt approved in 10 seconds. A dealer can always sign off on a buyer with valid income trust me, they’re lying. If someone will not sell me a car with 835 score in a store I would buy the car from their co-worker and stroke a check, and they would see how foolish that practice is. Not being over the top I just hate the credit system as it breeds people into debt. The foreclosure and car defaults are close to 2008 numbers that should tell people something. History is a predictable measure of the future, and we haven’t learned. Lots are butt hurt with market down, and I work with many trying to figure out what to do with all the debt they were going to pay by selling .....now they can’t have to hold to recoup the correction.
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:57 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Op, it behooves you to brush up on how the credit system works.

It is an incredibly valuable tool you will utilize your entire life

Don't go any further in debt

Good luck
detansinn (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020 | 05:59 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
If you can afford one of something, you can afford one of something. Most people budget things out and don't have the money or luxury to consider purchases as trivial.

It's the ultra wealthy subculture of Rennlist that like to throw their weight around by talking about their net worth, 'disposable income only' for cars, their hedge funds, their huge mansions, "bought a Ferrari for my girlfriend who's 20 years younger", yadda yadda yadda. Meanwhile I'm sure the OP reads this thinking "Wow I wish I could be like them!!!"

The most powerful wealthy person is the person that doesn't brag A BIT about their net worth on a forum or anywhere else.

I have a friend that is in the car business - all he ever talks about is MONEY...and himself and how much he makes and his next award. It's TOXIC. "Keeping up with the Joneses", even when you know it's wrong. Can't wait to get off the phone. After that I go take a shower.
The following 2 users liked this post by chance6:
chandanYOGI (01-23-2021), detansinn (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020 | 06:00 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi

i do think he was referring to a debt to equity ratio. If you look at what the credit agencies will allow I think that’s too high because so many live well over their means, and have little to no room to save for retirement. Because you make X, and spending to X will be a disaster somewhere. History the more you make, most will spend to X because they can when sh*t happens many say oh boy what now? Go long on credit with a standard 992 you’re upside down instantly .........if you can eat the depreciation you shouldn’t be discussing financing in my view which is an opinion.

Quick Reply: Approved for financing on my 992 custom build, then denied when car arrived...