Sponsored by:

RAS floating feeling

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by worco
I have exactly the described Problem on Highways, above 130km/h.
I tried comfort air pressure, full Speed/load pressure and in between and it didnt help. Having an Appointment in the Workshop in around 2-weeks.
Make sure the shipping blocks are removed from the suspension.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (03-06-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 09:13 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkb545
Interesting points about precise alignment required with RAS and how sensitive it is to tire pressures. Certainly makes future buyers take a pause when including RAS in their specs.
Not just an RAS issue. Improper alignment and tire pressures will transform any Porsche into something you don't want.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:03 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

I have exactly the described Problem on Highways, above 130km/h.
I tried comfort air pressure, full Speed/load pressure and in between and it didnt help. Having an Appointment in the Workshop in around 2-weeks.
It appears that a few folks are having issues. So, here are a few things to consider first, if you are experiencing these symptoms...

Summer Tires shouldn't be used in Winter
Are you driving in temperatures near 40F or below with the Summer tires that came with the car? The summer tires aren't very effective at low temperatures, becoming quite stiff and inflexible. In fact, most manufacturers warn of potential damage to the tires when they're used in cold weather at temps 40F or below, including hidden cracks that can lead to failures when it gets warmer. Please don't drive around with your summer tires in winter. How do you know that your car came with Summer tires? Is it a new 992? Yes, you have summer tires. Invest in a set of winter tires (and wheels for that matter) designed to be used in cold temperatures or park the car in the cold weather.

Tire Pressure Matters
Providing that you have the right tires, it's the first thing that you should check and it's important. Heck, that's why Porsche gives you a display mode dedicated to tire pressures. If you're a homeowner and don't have a compressor, go spend $100 on Amazon or even less at Harbor Freight. It's going to make your life much easier and you'll immediately become a neighborhood hero when it comes to inflating soccer *****, etc. If you don't have the benefit of a house and/or garage, at a minimum, you should pick up a good tire pressure gauge. Don't rely on that beat and abused gauge at the gas station or convenience store -- it's going to be way off. Tire pressure gauges are cheap. Buy one. You don't have to be mechanically inclined ensure that tires have the proper air pressure as it requires as much skill as putting gas in the tank.

If all else fails
If you have the right tires and tire pressures, the 911 should be tracking autobahn-amazing. If it's pulling to a side or acting weird, then, make a service appointment. If you're under warranty and it's early in the ownership experience, have the dealer check it out. Most manufacturers will let them do an initial alignment for "free" under warranty reimbursement. If you're past that point, consider getting it aligned at some place actually talented -- like a legit reputable tuner shop as you would be amazed at what a proper alignment can do.

Last edited by detansinn; 02-14-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:55 AM
worco
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My issues are solved now...transport blocks were still in the suspension...weirdly that didnt have an effect i could feel during normal driving. Now all is fine and i am annoyed that I can only drive 240 on the winter tires;-)
dhirm5 (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

My issues are solved now...transport blocks were still in the suspension...weirdly that didnt have an effect i could feel during normal driving. Now all is fine and i am annoyed that I can only drive 240 on the winter tires;-)
Good to hear they removed the orange thing.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:50 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn

...with all of that, Porsche apparently isn’t doing enough automation. Perhaps the 992.2 needs automated tire inflation with tire pressure monitoring, ie. PATIS (Porsche Automated Tire Inflation System) option.

At first, RennListers will debate the need for PATIS and argue that it robs the car of soul by adjusting pressure automatically. Then, after a few years of consternation, PATIS will be considered a “must have” option after it appears as standard equipment on the GT cars. At that point, 911s that don’t have PATIS will be considered inferior handling cars. To further this, some esteemed car reviewer will make some throwaway comment about PATIS equipped cars having better “steering feel”.

Folks will post their build codes and people will call the OP out for not including PATIS. Some will state that PATIS isn’t necessary if you have Sport Chrono or some other totally unrelated option. There will also be a contingent that complains that the 7lbs or extra weight for PATIS ruins the handling of the car.

Eventually, new high tech tires become standard equipment that don’t require air at all and old-timers will complain that they lack the feel of the PATIS cars.

Yeah, sounds about right. 🤣
Clever and funny. Thanks for the laugh.
detansinn (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 11:08 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Wow. That's really poor form on their PDI. Glad to hear though. The car should be sitting lower without those blocks, so it probably looks better too.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by rk-d
Wow. That's really poor form on their PDI. Glad to hear though. The car should be sitting lower without those blocks, so it probably looks better too.
We saw this on the 991 occasionally, too, and easier to spot:

Old 03-06-2020, 11:34 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Wow. Glad that it is solved. Enjoy the car!
Old 03-06-2020, 12:35 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d

That is why I always inspect their work after a visit to the mechanics. Once I complained about the squeaking brake on a new BMW, brought it in and they did some work. On the way while driving back home, I noticed there was a slight vibration on the steering wheel. Guess what I found out after an inspection. The front left wheel was not torqued down at all. I tighten the wheel lugs back to spec and the problem was solved. Never ever take their work for granted, especially when it comes to safety.

Quick Reply: RAS floating feeling