Sponsored by:

RAS floating feeling

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkb545
Interesting points about precise alignment required with RAS and how sensitive it is to tire pressures. Certainly makes future buyers take a pause when including RAS in their specs.
I disagree since a bad alignment and incorrect tire pressures will affect any car. RAS is a great option that has been around for a while and is only gaining in popularity.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:39 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 452 Posts

Its 3-5 hours of labor just to align the rear axle if you have RAS. If it comes misaligned from the factory ur looking at a large bill.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Its 3-5 hours of labor just to align the rear axle if you have RAS. If it comes misaligned from the factory ur looking at a large bill.
Mine appears perfect since it drives/handles well and after 5k miles my tires have even wear.
The following users liked this post:
G650 (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:10 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Porsche's paranoia has thrown all their design parameters out the window due to clueless owners who never even ever open their engine bay throughout the life of their ownership. Yes, there are owners like that who only fill up their gas tank and drive the car, let alone checking their tire pressure. That thinking of allowing for more tire pressure to offset any chances of these mishaps sure make the rest of us scratching our heads.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:41 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Beating a dead horse, but yeah --tire pressure is insane.

Agree with comments on alignment. RAS is essentially a dynamic kinematic toe and alignment is critical for this to work right. Dealers are generally mediocre to terrible when it comes to performing alignment. If they don't resolve it, might be worth seeing a high quality Porsche independent to take a crack at the alignment (though I get why you'd want to work through your warranty).
Exactly! When I got my first set of new rear tires I had my aligned to factory specs. The RAS would come in late in corners and it was scary, it had the feeling of over rotating. I had been familiar with it because a 2014 Turbo S I had detailed for them was so bad that on highway lane changes it felt like the car was literally slipping sideways to the next lane. They couldn't sell the bloody car! When mine started acting funny after an alignment I talked to my service manager and a nice new young tech and they wanted to figure out how to solve this problem. I consulted here on rennlist and sat down with the tech and we came up with an alignment we thought might work well. We got it right (or maybe lucky) but my car is now great. I have a 2017 C2S with SPASM/PDCC. I have friends that are now going in and making sure they get the "Hal" alignment, though I have no idea if it will work on other RAS model equipped 911s.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Exactly! When I got my first set of new rear tires I had my aligned to factory specs. The RAS would come in late in corners and it was scary, it had the feeling of over rotating. I had been familiar with it because a 2014 Turbo S I had detailed for them was so bad that on highway lane changes it felt like the car was literally slipping sideways to the next lane. They couldn't sell the bloody car! When mine started acting funny after an alignment I talked to my service manager and a nice new young tech and they wanted to figure out how to solve this problem. I consulted here on rennlist and sat down with the tech and we came up with an alignment we thought might work well. We got it right (or maybe lucky) but my car is now great. I have a 2017 C2S with SPASM/PDCC. I have friends that are now going in and making sure they get the "Hal" alignment, though I have no idea if it will work on other RAS model equipped 911s.
Do you have a copy of the specs that you can post for us to take a look at?
Old 02-10-2020, 08:06 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

yeah I've had mine way faster, and never felt anything unnerving like that...but definitely play with the pressures.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:29 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkb545
Interesting points about precise alignment required with RAS and how sensitive it is to tire pressures. Certainly makes future buyers take a pause when including RAS in their specs.
I don't think you should bank this as fact. RAS is amazing. Who knows why he's having problems - might or might not be RAS related.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I don't think you should bank this as fact. RAS is amazing. Who knows why he's having problems - might or might not be RAS related.
Agree. Very few complaints about this system. I wouldn't think twice about it, in terms of reliability.
detansinn (02-10-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:41 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Porsche's paranoia has thrown all their design parameters out the window due to clueless owners who never even ever open their engine bay throughout the life of their ownership. Yes, there are owners like that who only fill up their gas tank and drive the car, let alone checking their tire pressure. That thinking of allowing for more tire pressure to offset any chances of these mishaps sure make the rest of us scratching our heads.
Open their engine bays? Can only do that on Porsche front engined cars. Owners who only fill up with gas and drive? The freaking cars don’t have dipsticks, they tell you if you are low on coolant, oil, wiper fluid or tire pressure. They also tell you if a light bulb is out or if anything else is out of spec. They tell you if your seat belt isn’t fastened, if there is a car in your blind spot, if there is anything in front of or behind you when pulling into or out of a parking spot, and they even automatically brake in an emergency. They also shift gears for you. If you have a manual, they auto blip for you, keep you from rolling backward on a hill, and cut engine power if you keep your foot on the gas during a shift. The only thing that they don’t do is let you open your garage doors. 😏 When was the las time you ”opened the engine bay” of your 992?
The following 8 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
darkknight26 (02-11-2020), dchang81 (02-12-2020), detansinn (02-11-2020), G650 (02-12-2020), Noah Fect (02-11-2020), SamD (02-11-2020), Seacil (02-12-2020), T3X4S (02-11-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
48 PSI?! I think I see the problem
Lol
Old 02-11-2020, 10:19 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,136 Likes on 3,006 Posts

...with all of that, Porsche apparently isn’t doing enough automation. Perhaps the 992.2 needs automated tire inflation with tire pressure monitoring, ie. PATIS (Porsche Automated Tire Inflation System) option.

At first, RennListers will debate the need for PATIS and argue that it robs the car of soul by adjusting pressure automatically. Then, after a few years of consternation, PATIS will be considered a “must have” option after it appears as standard equipment on the GT cars. At that point, 911s that don’t have PATIS will be considered inferior handling cars. To further this, some esteemed car reviewer will make some throwaway comment about PATIS equipped cars having better “steering feel”.

Folks will post their build codes and people will call the OP out for not including PATIS. Some will state that PATIS isn’t necessary if you have Sport Chrono or some other totally unrelated option. There will also be a contingent that complains that the 7lbs or extra weight for PATIS ruins the handling of the car.

Eventually, new high tech tires become standard equipment that don’t require air at all and old-timers will complain that they lack the feel of the PATIS cars.

Yeah, sounds about right. 🤣
The following 8 users liked this post by detansinn:
1RedHead (02-11-2020), Denny Swift (02-11-2020), G650 (02-12-2020), Jkb545 (02-11-2020), markchristenson (03-06-2020), rouxeny (02-14-2020), SamD (02-11-2020), Stevelev (03-06-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:53 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by plasticam
Thanks,
Tyre pressure’s are 42psi front and 48psi rear.
It could be the whole car that feels a bit floaty but I put it down to the RAS as it’s the first car I’ve had with it.
kinda feels like it’s on casters lol.
Maybe it was your dealer's subtle way of suggesting you diet since he set your tire pressure to the "Full Load" spec.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:09 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn

...with all of that, Porsche apparently isn’t doing enough automation. Perhaps the 992.2 needs automated tire inflation with tire pressure monitoring, ie. PATIS (Porsche Automated Tire Inflation System) option.

At first, RennListers will debate the need for PATIS and argue that it robs the car of soul by adjusting pressure automatically. Then, after a few years of consternation, PATIS will be considered a “must have” option after it appears as standard equipment on the GT cars. At that point, 911s that don’t have PATIS will be considered inferior handling cars. To further this, some esteemed car reviewer will make some throwaway comment about PATIS equipped cars having better “steering feel”.

Folks will post their build codes and people will call the OP out for not including PATIS. Some will state that PATIS isn’t necessary if you have Sport Chrono or some other totally unrelated option. There will also be a contingent that complains that the 7lbs or extra weight for PATIS ruins the handling of the car.

Eventually, new high tech tires become standard equipment that don’t require air at all and old-timers will complain that they lack the feel of the PATIS cars.

Yeah, sounds about right. 🤣
Might as well not have gotten a 911 if you didn't spec PATIS. Or full leather.
detansinn (02-12-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 08:39 AM
worco
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have exactly the described Problem on Highways, above 130km/h.
I tried comfort air pressure, full Speed/load pressure and in between and it didnt help. Having an Appointment in the Workshop in around 2-weeks.

Quick Reply: RAS floating feeling