Sponsored by:

PPF Installer Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 12:21 AM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Are those scratches I'm seeing in some of those pics?
yes — there are installer induced scratches on the corrected paint that didn’t have PPF AND on the PPF itself. The PPF scratches are not healing with hot water or a hair dryer so they are through the top coat of the film.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:34 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

that one is really bad honestly, its not just you and its not just black paint.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:38 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

That is a terrible job and their excuses are complete horses*t.

PPF install is a skill and requires some degree of talent. The really good installers have a pathological degree of obsessiveness. Not sure how you found these guys, but don't expect them to be able to fix it. Anyone who lets a car out of their shop looking like this is hopeless.

Probably best you can hope for is being refunded labor and provided free removal (if you trust them to do it). You will want to find the top tier installer in your state (or adjacent state) to get it done. Unfortunately, most shops are pretty bad at PPF.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:17 AM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks like you’d have done a better job if you DIY’d. Walk - > refund -> go somewhere else
The following users liked this post:
I am the Walrus (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:20 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

I’d be happy to look at your 992.

STEK is a great film and we’ve used it on headlights. I’ve noticed the film to be clear and void of defects, but haven’t played with it long enough to know the consistency

if you bring it by, I can definitely tell you if installer or film defect and perhaps guide you on what to do.

as an installer, if I had an unhappy client, I’d definitely want the opportunity to make it right

also, it would help if you shared what cost was
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
Caliporsche (02-03-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (02-07-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

STEK is a great film and we’ve used it on headlights. I’ve noticed the film to be clear and void of defects, but haven’t played with it long enough to know the consistency

if you bring it by, I can definitely tell you if installer or film defect and perhaps guide you on what to do.

as an installer, if I had an unhappy client, I’d definitely want the opportunity to make it right

This.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:24 PM
KSEGG
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, that is quite possibly one of the worst PPF jobs I've ever seen. OP, you need to get a refund, and get a reputable shop to remove this mess so you can start over.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:55 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

Hi Moe -- I've actually gone to the shop I had my 991.2 done in Sherman Oaks. They agreed that it was a terrible installation and also pointed out knife marks from the bulk cut portions. I'm on their books next week to have the current install removed and to reapply professionally.

As I mentioned, this install was actually the shop's second attempt at installation. I fear that my car will be damaged further if I bring it back to them, so I am going to pursue a refund or a chargeback. The price of the PPF was $2950 + tax.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:07 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dwaldi
Hi Moe -- I've actually gone to the shop I had my 991.2 done in Sherman Oaks. They agreed that it was a terrible installation and also pointed out knife marks from the bulk cut portions. I'm on their books next week to have the current install removed and to reapply professionally.

As I mentioned, this install was actually the shop's second attempt at installation. I fear that my car will be damaged further if I bring it back to them, so I am going to pursue a refund or a chargeback. The price of the PPF was $2950 + tax.
$2950 was for full front only?

can you pm me more details?
Old 02-03-2020, 05:34 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

Why waste time pursuing a refund? Hit the chargeback and don't look back.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:35 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

I'm guessing it will come to that, but it's a pain in the *** for both parties and could be lengthy. Trying to reduce the headache as much as I can.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:45 PM
crimewave
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 127 Posts

There's a headache with chargebacks? I've never had a headache with my CC companies. You open the dispute, you immediately get a credit back onto your card for the amount disputed, and you'll 100% win and you won't even really need to provide proof. Whenever I know someone is in the wrong I don't even waste time arguing with them I just do a chargeback and my stress level is reduced to damn near nothing.
rasetsu (07-19-2023)
Old 02-03-2020, 05:47 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Good to know. I'm obviously not taking this lightly and I'm clearly in the right. I am going to present the quote for replacement to the original shop and offer to have them pay it and I walk away, or I get a chargeback and it hurts them more.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:17 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dwaldi
Good to know. I'm obviously not taking this lightly and I'm clearly in the right. I am going to present the quote for replacement to the original shop and offer to have them pay it and I walk away, or I get a chargeback and it hurts them more.
I think couple of things I notice that should be addressed:

1. If I'm not mistaken, $2950 included full front AND entire side 1/4 panel...this is simply too cheap and buyer-be-ware. If I'm mistaken on coverage, please correct me.

2. Too often we see this happen. Unfortunately, our industry has become insanely saturated in the past few years. It's now way too easy to become "certified" and the $$$$ on the surface seems too good to pass up for some installers.

Some product/film manufacturers are just trying to get more installers and get more product/film off the shelves.

It also doesn't help that on the consumer side, people are shopping for the "best" price...we're talking a $100K+ car at a minimum now with a 992 folks. You would never shop around an engine rebuild or transmission rebuild...you'd seek the best porsche tech by reputation or just take it to dealer where the techs are in fact Porsche CERTIFIED.

PPF/Ceramic installation shouldn't be any different. You're trusting the monkey behind the blade or polisher. Razor cut marks, paint polished too deep, coatings that are simply applied over un-prepped paint, that's just sign of the times when price-shopping.

We've got shops that simply wash, MAYBE clay, apply film, and slap on ceramic coating...for about $5k on ENTIRE 911. If your 911 is a commodity and you're just wanting to save a buck, I suppose that's your choice.

Months of waiting, picking the perfect option, and arguably driving the best German sports car, don't you deserve the same level of passion and TLC that your 911 was born with?

At GP, we think so, and that's why for nearly 25 years, we've educated and brought to market VALUE and quality and appreciate the support of the community here for keeping us in business.

In our opinion, every 911 deserves this level of attention:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1167...l#post16195382

Tell us what you think?
Porsche911GTS'16 (02-07-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:34 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Moe I really respect your opinion when it come to detailing and PPF. So I'm interested to know what you think full front hood, bumper, fenders plus rear quarter panel should cost.
I ask because I believe region/location really makes a difference in price. I've seen some guys paying over $5k - $8k for the above coverage on the west coast or NYC area. Love to hear your thoughts.
I paid just over $5k for the above with full paint correction. All lights, emblems removed and edges wrapped of Xpel Ultimate Plus. Job is beautiful and have used this installer 3 times.

Quick Reply: PPF Installer Nightmare