Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF Installer Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 09:45 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Moe, thanks for your input here. This is very valuable info for those of us who want great work performed. In my case, at least, it was not actually the 'trying to save a buck' approach that led me to this shop and they were far from the least expensive. It was their certification with STEK, their coating options and great reviews that drew me to them. With all of the services I had performed, the total was over $5,000, which is in my opinion not THAT cheap. Either way, lesson learned: Look at the work in the shop and decide if it satisfies you at the given price point.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:14 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Moe I really respect your opinion when it come to detailing and PPF. So I'm interested to know what you think full front hood, bumper, fenders plus rear quarter panel should cost.
I ask because I believe region/location really makes a difference in price. I've seen some guys paying over $5k - $8k for the above coverage on the west coast or NYC area. Love to hear your thoughts.
I paid just over $5k for the above with full paint correction. All lights, emblems removed and edges wrapped of Xpel Ultimate Plus. Job is beautiful and have used this installer 3 times.
Originally Posted by dwaldi
Moe, thanks for your input here. This is very valuable info for those of us who want great work performed. In my case, at least, it was not actually the 'trying to save a buck' approach that led me to this shop and they were far from the least expensive. It was their certification with STEK, their coating options and great reviews that drew me to them. With all of the services I had performed, the total was over $5,000, which is in my opinion not THAT cheap. Either way, lesson learned: Look at the work in the shop and decide if it satisfies you at the given price point.
I think I may have a solution here.

What if we looked into finding a network of installers, eventually in every state, that delivered a consistent product at a consistent price point which would hopefully take the guesswork out of this whole process?

Would you guys be up for that?

It would be a symbiotic relationship between installer and customer. No games, no BS...doing quality work at a price that is equivalent to the quality of the work rendered.

Let me know and perhaps we can create the change we ALL want.

Currently, I know many shops around the country that do quality work, have great customer service, and are doing business the old-fashion way...hand shake and your word is all the warranty/guarantee you need.

As evident by OP, from his vantage point, certification may not always mean quality/value.
The following 6 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
1320 (09-06-2021), ABNJOE (07-19-2023), AMJ0000 (02-07-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (02-07-2020), Rxpert (02-05-2020), TurboS_GG (02-04-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2020, 10:15 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

YES!
Old 02-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

I'd go for that too. Sounds like a great approach.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:30 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

YES!
Originally Posted by Penn4S
I'd go for that too. Sounds like a great approach.
The trick is to get installers on the same page with a consistent product. So, if you get a full ppf installation at a particular level/price, it's consistent across country.

We'd also need solid feedback and nurturing of the effort by YOU guys. If an installer provided stellar experience, he/she needs to be praised and referred to as many members possible.

It'll be such an amazing and healthy ecosystem.

How would you guys like to see this process work?

Would you pay a premium for this level of care? IMHO, it goes beyond the installation, wouldn't you agree?

At this level, it's assumed the installation is stellar and consistent, right?
Old 02-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I have a great one here in Nashville. He did my DB11 and my 458. He does all the cars at the local Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Maserati, Lotus, SSV, AR dealership here. They hooked me up with him when I purchased my DB11.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:04 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Interesting and unfortunate bit of work there. I don't know about using chargebacks to resolve quality or customer service disputes, though. Aren't those normally used only for fraudulent charges or cases of non-delivery? If you do a chargeback and the installer decides to make a big deal out of it, I could envision you ending up in court, and not necessarily on the winning side.

One thing I would do is to threaten the installer with lodging a very public protest with STEK. Explain that you selected their shop because of their factory certification, and that their work reflects very poorly on STEK's own judgement and business practices.

See if that gets their attention... if not, then my next step would be to pay an attorney to write a nasty letter. I'd be afraid to try to address this through the credit card company.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:14 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

There is a bit of risk associated with just cancelling the charge with your credit card company without communication with the detailer (vendor). If you received something of value, the vendor can go back to you for fraud -- suddenly, your PPF nightmare becomes a different problem.

Instead, I'd recommend having your attorney do a nasty letter demanding a refund or some other consideration.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:17 PM
dwaldi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
There is a bit of risk associated with just cancelling the charge with your credit card company without communication with the detailer (vendor). If you received something of value, the vendor can go back to you for fraud -- suddenly, your PPF nightmare becomes a different problem.

Instead, I'd recommend having your attorney do a nasty letter demanding a refund or some other consideration.
I've been told that there is no world in which I would be refunded, that the work is a loss for him, etc. If it does in fact escalate to a chargeback, it would only be for the services that were failed to be done to a professional standard. The other work I am happy to have paid for.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:41 PM
osdo1990
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear - that looks/sounds awful.

I'd highly recommend the guys that did my 992 for anyone in the Northeast. Cost about 3K for the full front, side mirrors, and rocker panels plus about 1K for paint correction.

Posted this in another thread but they took pictures of the process - took about 5 days total.

Originally Posted by osdo1990
Place I got PPF/pain correction done from took some pics of the process - thought I'd share.

The following 2 users liked this post by osdo1990:
ABNJOE (07-19-2023), slwong23 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:03 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Beautiful car and PPF work, osdo. I've been meaning to ask several folks, but never got around to it. Was PPF applied to the various gray plastic trim / lower areas?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:10 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

The installer also said that these defects would 'cure out in a few days'. I'm not stupid enough to fall for that line. Tomorrow AM I'm going to take the car to another installer to get a quote for replacement of all the film. I will present the quote to this shop owner and ask if he'd prefer to pay them directly or deal with a charge back from my Chase Visa.
this is a bad idea. Let us know how it turns out.
I suggest you just tell him you are going to reverse the charge on the cc if he doesn't do it then go on google and post a bad review to protect others,
Old 02-04-2020, 11:01 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The trick is to get installers on the same page with a consistent product. So, if you get a full ppf installation at a particular level/price, it's consistent across country.

We'd also need solid feedback and nurturing of the effort by YOU guys. If an installer provided stellar experience, he/she needs to be praised and referred to as many members possible.

It'll be such an amazing and healthy ecosystem.

How would you guys like to see this process work?

Would you pay a premium for this level of care? IMHO, it goes beyond the installation, wouldn't you agree?

At this level, it's assumed the installation is stellar and consistent, right?
Yes, I and many members would support that level of service. Better to pay to have it done right instead of twice. I am very happy with my installer and his dedication to his craft.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:59 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 532 Posts

Personally I would report this to the manufacturers of the films.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:55 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Personally I would report this to the manufacturers of the films.
Exactly. If I were running STEK, I would want to know about this. After a brief investigation to make sure I had all the facts from both sides, I would yank the shop's certification and refund the customer.

The refund would be done under NDA, since that part doesn't scale very well. But the withdrawal of certification would be very well publicized.

Quick Reply: PPF Installer Nightmare