Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Keep Assist-too aggressive? Can't Disable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 07:53 PM
Alan Kushnir
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lane Keep Assist-too aggressive? Can't Disable?

At the dealer, while ordering a new 992 Carerra, the dealer suggested avoiding the Premium Package that contains the Lane Keep Assist option. He said that he has had complaints from customers that it is 'too aggressive' and annoying, and furthermore cannot be disabled. He suggested ordering the other items a la carte.
Can anyone comment on this who actually has experience with Lane Keep Assist in this model or other Porsche cars?
Interestingly, by ordering the other remaining options in the premium package a la carte results in an increase in cost of $880.
Is the dealer correct that Lane Keep cannot be disabled?
Alan

Old 01-05-2020, 08:02 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

It can be disabled. It wouldn't be allowed or safe on track days.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:30 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 827 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Kushnir
At the dealer, while ordering a new 992 Carerra, the dealer suggested avoiding the Premium Package that contains the Lane Keep Assist option. He said that he has had complaints from customers that it is 'too aggressive' and annoying, and furthermore cannot be disabled. He suggested ordering the other items a la carte.
Can anyone comment on this who actually has experience with Lane Keep Assist in this model or other Porsche cars?
Interestingly, by ordering the other remaining options in the premium package a la carte results in an increase in cost of $880.
Is the dealer correct that Lane Keep cannot be disabled?
Alan
compared with my BMW it's not aggressive enough.... not sure what you're talking about.. but yes, can be turned off.
The following users liked this post:
1RedHead (01-06-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:03 PM
Alan Kushnir
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you. Its weird that the manager would say it couldn't be disabled and discourage us from the Premium Package. It should be the same with a base Carrera but I'm going to check further with this guy. I still have time to adjust my config as the order was just placed yesterday.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 AM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Through an amazing coincidence did he have one on the floor without the premium package? lol
The following 3 users liked this post by krabman:
detansinn (01-06-2020), dhirm5 (01-06-2020), Nugget (01-20-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:53 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,146 Likes on 3,010 Posts

LKA is fantastic and unobtrusive. If you want to turn it off, it’s super easy to do so. There are also multiple levels of LKA available. The Premium Package is a great option package. If you’re intending to actually drive the car, it brings a great combination of stuff.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:39 AM
kayleia
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
LKA is fantastic and unobtrusive. If you want to turn it off, it’s super easy to do so. There are also multiple levels of LKA available. The Premium Package is a great option package. If you’re intending to actually drive the car, it brings a great combination of stuff.
Since you seem to have some experience with LKA, I'll ask this:

With LKA on, what would happen if I was driving down a 2-lane road and I swerved to the left across the lane a bit to avoid a cyclist ... would the car try to guide me back, and possibly hit the cyclist, or would it recognize that since my hands are on the wheel, I meant to do it?
Old 01-06-2020, 02:40 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayleia
Since you seem to have some experience with LKA, I'll ask this:

With LKA on, what would happen if I was driving down a 2-lane road and I swerved to the left across the lane a bit to avoid a cyclist ... would the car try to guide me back, and possibly hit the cyclist, or would it recognize that since my hands are on the wheel, I meant to do it?
It just lets you do it. I gives you a little warning tone, but it doesn’t stop you from doing what you want to do. It’s the most driver oriented system that I have experienced.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
992Sam (01-06-2020), kayleia (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 02:42 PM
kayleia
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Good to know, thanks!
Old 01-06-2020, 04:14 PM
Kermit_the_Frog
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 55 Posts

How easy is it to disable and if disabled does it stay disabled the next time i start the engine?
Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kermit_the_Frog
How easy is it to disable and if disabled does it stay disabled the next time i start the engine?
Tap Assist. Tap it to disable. You’re done. Not complicated.

This is whole lot of nothing started by a sales guy who didn’t have a Premium Package equipped car to sell.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
992Sam (01-15-2020), dhirm5 (01-20-2020), NigelPlays (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

I have every single Porsche assist option available including night vision... not one of them has gotten in the way of an amazing driving experience... they are all able to be configured from very sensitive to not.. and turned off as well.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:53 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Tap Assist. Tap it to disable. You’re done. Not complicated.

This is whole lot of nothing started by a sales guy who didn’t have a Premium Package equipped car to sell.
That doesn't quite answer the question. Does it stay off?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:56 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That doesn't quite answer the question. Does it stay off?
Yes... And it is tied to key profiles as well should you want to use one key for "all on" and one your track day "all off"
The following 2 users liked this post by 992Sam:
NigelPlays (01-15-2020), Noah Fect (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

If it works on the 992 as it does on my Macan Turbo, it has to be turned on by pushing the button and off by pushing it again. It retains its setting until it is changed (including when the car is restarted. I find it is just obtrusive enough to let you know you are driving across a marked lane with a minor sort of nudge of the steering wheel - nowhere near "overriding" my control of the car. So i find it a useful warning rather than a control situation.

I have entertained myself seeing if it could actually guide the car with hands off, and based on its performance I would say, not reliably, and would never consider it safe to let it try. The owners manual underscores its "assistance" aspects.

The radar speed and following distance control slow/stop works as advertised to maintain a distance and stop on getting near a collision. But it too is not really a substitute or mean to override driver control. One example of how deficient these things are as unguided safety devices: I allowed the system to do its thing at a slow rate of speed behind a car approaching a red light. It worked as advertised. But then I pulled over to a left lane to turn at the light . With no car in front any more it tried let the car accelerate to the set speed. With the available torque it jumped forward. Fortunately that was easy to overcome with a fast hit on brake pedal, which totally disables the system. But if I had not hit the brake I would have accelerated into the intersection and been T-boned.

The owners manual underscores the issues of when it is safe and not. Not to be ignored.

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist-too aggressive? Can't Disable?