Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery chargers

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 02:15 PM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the Porsche Charge-O-Matic for the Li battery, and i got it working with the footwell socket process a few months back. Now that I am ready to put my C2S into hiberation, when I follow the process, my charger is 'stuck' in the 2nd light, its not going into the 3rd light for the charging state.
Any idea why?
Old 11-22-2021, 02:55 PM
m1kegibson
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by commie
I have the Porsche Charge-O-Matic for the Li battery, and i got it working with the footwell socket process a few months back. Now that I am ready to put my C2S into hiberation, when I follow the process, my charger is 'stuck' in the 2nd light, its not going into the 3rd light for the charging state.
Any idea why?
How long has it been in the 2nd light state? The 2nd phase is when it pumps energy into the battery so this is where it will spend most time when the battery needs charging taking it to about 90% (8hrs top) 3rd light indicates the "absorption" mode - slowly filling up to 100% and the 4th light is the "trickle/maintenance" mode entered when battery is full.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:06 PM
commie
Instructor

Originally Posted by m1kegibson
How long has it been in the 2nd light state? The 2nd phase is when it pumps energy into the battery so this is where it will spend most time when the battery needs charging taking it to about 90% (8hrs top) 3rd light indicates the "absorption" mode - slowly filling up to 100% and the 4th light is the "trickle/maintenance" mode entered when battery is full.
Its in the 2nd light state for about 1-2 hours, then all lights goes off except the green power light. It never gets to the 3rd or 4th light state.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:48 PM
m1kegibson
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Its in the 2nd light state for about 1-2 hours, then all lights goes off except the green power light. It never gets to the 3rd or 4th light state.
All lights off except the green power lamp indicate that no charging is happening. According to the charge-o-mat manual, if the green light is on (not flashing) then no charging mode has been selected or the power to the charger has been turned off/on? If the green light is flashing, then this suggests that connection to the battery has been interrupted and something is going awry as the footwell socket is being "disconnected" by the car's control system despite there being a powered up charger connected.
Firstly, you're probably aware that there is a sequence that you need to follow in order to ensure the socket remains "active". But, to be sure, can you confirm you are doing the following:
1. Unplug everything from footwell socket
2. Turn on ignition (this activates the footwell socket)
3. Turn off ignition (this leaves socket active and importantly, the socket will now sense whether a charger is plugged in)
4. Plug charger into wall (do not turn on yet) and into car footwell socket
5. Turn on charger at wall and select mode as required (Car / LiPO or Lead Acid)
6. Lock car
Steps 4 & 5 must be completed within around 30 minutes of turning off ignition in step 3.

If you are doing the above (which always works for me), the only other thing I can think of is that the battery itself is low. Has the car been given a run recently, ie is the battery in a reasonable state of charge already? I found that when my battery was close to flat, the above process does not work. However, when I did have this situation, it disconnected the charger at around 30 minutes.

This is all documented in a post I wrote on PCGB gathering all info in one place - Charging a 992 via Footwell Socket | Porsche Forum from Porsche Club GB

Last edited by m1kegibson; 11-22-2021 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (03-11-2022)
Old 11-22-2021, 07:35 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 540gone
As posted above, but adding this since people keep asking. Then just connect charger, run the wire along the frunk hinge, close frunk (or not), done.
That's exactly where I have my CTEK charger pigtail.

Jason
Old 11-22-2021, 07:41 PM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Please see comments in red:

Originally Posted by m1kegibson
All lights off except the green power lamp indicate that no charging is happening. According to the charge-o-mat manual, if the green light is on (not flashing) then no charging mode has been selected or the power to the charger has been turned off/on? If the green light is flashing, then this suggests that connection to the battery has been interrupted and something is going awry as the footwell socket is being "disconnected" by the car's control system despite there being a powered up charger connected.
Firstly, you're probably aware that there is a sequence that you need to follow in order to ensure the socket remains "active". But, to be sure, can you confirm you are doing the following:
1. Unplug everything from footwell socket
2. Turn on ignition (this activates the footwell socket) WITH KEY INSIDE CAR
3. Turn off ignition (this leaves socket active and importantly, the socket will now sense whether a charger is plugged in) WITH KEY INSIDE CAR
4. Plug charger into wall (do not turn on yet) and into car footwell socket
5. Turn on charger at wall and select mode as required (Car / LiPO or Lead Acid)
6. Lock car
Steps 4 & 5 must be completed within around 30 minutes of turning off ignition in step 3. AND MAKE SURE STEPS 2 AND 3 ARE COMPLETED WITH KEY INSIDE CAR

If you are doing the above (which always works for me), the only other thing I can think of is that the battery itself is low. Has the car been given a run recently, ie is the battery in a reasonable state of charge already? I found that when my battery was close to flat, the above process does not work. However, when I did have this situation, it disconnected the charger at around 30 minutes.

This is all documented in a post I wrote on PCGB gathering all info in one place - Charging a 992 via Footwell Socket | Porsche Forum from Porsche Club GB
KLOC (11-25-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 10:33 AM
commie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
Please see comments in red:

When you say turn on ignition, is that actually having the engine started or just have the accessory on?
Old 11-23-2021, 10:42 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

engine should not be started and running during the process
KLOC (03-11-2022)
Old 11-23-2021, 03:06 PM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

When you say turn on ignition, is that actually having the engine started or just have the accessory on?
Just have the accessory ON.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:31 PM
commie
Instructor

I finally got the 'sequence' correct and the charger was in the maintenance state for 2-3 days. Don't even know what I did differently this time to get it to work, I was following the same steps.
Of course, today I had to take the car out for some scheduled work done, so I'll have to re-do this dance tomorrow. lol
bobblehead (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 12:33 PM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

really strange. Glad it's okay.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:49 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

The best way is to connect to the battery and / or posts in the frunk and leave the CTEK pigtail connected. Then you save yourself all the drama and have it easily connected every time.
The following 2 users liked this post by German1967:
540gone (11-26-2021), JCH997 (11-26-2021)
Old 03-11-2022, 12:25 PM
TwoMile
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great read, helpful, as I was also having problems with the footwell socket timing out. I'm using the CTEK Lithium tender and will be wiring directly to the battery as my long-term solution for my 992.

Another thought, for a couple of cars that I store at a garage away from home where I am not able to check them daily, I use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to provide surge protection and continuous power in the event of a brief a/c power outage. Reasonably priced UPS systems with adequate capacity, such as those commonly used with desktop computers or other electronics, are available from APC or other suppliers.
pfelsen (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 12:42 PM
TRIPLEBLK1
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

I am selling a brand new CTEK-LITHIUM US Charger/Maintainer. Never used & still in the original box. $80.00 + Shipping.

Quick Reply: battery chargers