Sponsored by:

battery chargers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 04:33 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
It is the footwell power port that seems to shut off within a week of starting charging. For long term unattended storage do not use it. This is from my 992 experience. I would wire straight to the battery and use a CTEK or Porsche Li charger.
thanks. would you know about the cigarette lighter outlet that comes with the smoker's package (at least i think it comes with it; i pick up this wk)
Old 01-13-2020, 05:24 AM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo
thanks. would you know about the cigarette lighter outlet that comes with the smoker's package (at least i think it comes with it; i pick up this wk)
There is no additional outlet with the smokers package. It's just a cup ashtray that fits within the drink holder. What is your adversity to just hard wiring the battery?

The following users liked this post:
540gone (06-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:14 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1RedHead
There is no additional outlet with the smokers package. It's just a cup ashtray that fits within the drink holder. What is your adversity to just hard wiring the battery?
thanks re smoker's package. i'm in a condo location where i have no tools available to me, and limited garage access. i'd be doing it in the street, w/o tools. doesn't seem practical. a functioning footwell outlet would be hugely better for me
Old 01-13-2020, 06:15 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

thanks re smoker's package. i'm in a condo location where i have no tools available to me, and limited garage access. i'd be doing it in the street, w/o tools. doesn't seem practical. a functioning footwell outlet would be hugely better for me
wherer is the battery located? is it in the passenger compartment, behind the firewall, or in the boot?
Old 01-13-2020, 06:55 AM
1RedHead
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 137 Posts

It's not that complicated and should take you 5 minutes at most. The battery is in the frunk under the plastic cover. All it takes is a wrench, at a minimum an adjustable one for the battery terminals. If you don't feel comfortable with doing it, have the dealership do it. The problem with the internal port is that the car goes into sleep mode and shuts this down. Your other option is to use the port, make sure your lock the doors but you are going to have to route the cable through a partially open window. This will keep the car from going into sleep mode and shutting off the port.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:09 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1RedHead
It's not that complicated and should take you 5 minutes at most. The battery is in the frunk under the plastic cover. All it takes is a wrench, at a minimum an adjustable one for the battery terminals. If you don't feel comfortable with doing it, have the dealership do it. The problem with the internal port is that the car goes into sleep mode and shuts this down. Your other option is to use the port, make sure your lock the doors but you are going to have to route the cable through a partially open window. This will keep the car from going into sleep mode and shutting off the port.
thanks for your thoughts. this much i CAN do in a driveway with a wrench, so that IS the route i will go thanks to your guidance
Old 01-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Seacil
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My Porsche Li charger kept going off-line, both when using the inside 12V port and when going directly to the batter,y UNTIL I locked the doors.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Interesting. I locked the doors on mine and it went offline within 2 days. Effectively no difference.

With the early cars there are definitely software differences. Mine was an early April build that was reflashed before delivery so I don’t know what software level it is equivalent to now.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:50 PM
Moosedoc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Keeping the 12V socket active

I use the Porsche branded charger (purchased from Suncoast ) and found that if the ignition is on and I connect the charger into the 12V socket in the passenger side footwell and plug the charger into the wall supply, the 12V socket doesn’t time out after 30 minutes once the ignition is turned off and the doors are locked.
Apparently if current is sensed in the 12 V socket while the ignition is on, the 30 minute auto shut off is temporarily disabled. Haven’t yet tried this for longer than one night ( I’ve only owned
my car for 4 days).

you're not alone in reporting these issues. i am leery of the ctek's for that very reason. i am wondering what all of you folks are using...maybe a viable alternative? the deltran battery tender (which is cheap!)?
Old 06-13-2021, 02:34 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Reading these forums, you'll notice that the 992 has exhibited a series of mixed results with individual cars/chargers/battery types. I was never able to get the Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro to work with my 992 (built in September 2020). I even tried two different Porsche branded chargers (I've had to charge multiple Porsches at once so I have a few of 'em). My 992's 12v footwell socket would always timeout. I tried the suggested tricks (leaving ignition on for several minutes after plugging in the charger, locking the doors, not locking the doors). I never tried direct to the battery because I personally find plugging the charger into the footwell to be simpler. My car has the LiFePo4 battery so I got the CTEK Lithium US and the CTEK 12v socket adapter and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Don't use the lithium charger unless your battery has a label that says "LiFePo4". Don't trust the sticker on the battery bracket that may say Li-Ion - some cars have a Li-Ion sticker on the battery bracket despite the fact that they are actually equipped with an AGM battery! Look at the battery itself.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:22 PM
540gone
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Charger connection solution

As posted above, but adding this since people keep asking. Then just connect charger, run the wire along the frunk hinge, close frunk (or not), done.

Last edited by 540gone; 06-13-2021 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added detail
Old 07-27-2021, 03:33 AM
KLOC
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

The procedure for getting the Porsche Charge-O-Mat Pro to ‘connect’ and stay ‘connected’ to your 992 is known as The Canbus Dance.

My 2007 BMW GS Adventure requires the same Canbus Dance when using the under-seat accessory socket with the special BMW charger.

There is no way to wake up a Canbus controlled accessory socket short of turning on the ignition.

Doing The Canbus Dance ensures that the socket is awake and that the vehicle ‘knows’ not to turn the socket off in the presence of the Charge-O-Mat Pro.

1. Plug the charger into the footwell socket.
2. Turn the ignition to the accessory position.
3. Plug the charger into your wall socket.
4. Select the appropriate Charge-O-Mat charge mode for your battery type.
5. Turn off ignition and lock the vehicle.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:33 AM
Moosedoc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Default CAN Bus “Dance”

I wish these instructions were included in user manual for the 992. I’ve been using this method of keeping 12 Volt socket active and it has reliably worked to keep the battery charged.

Originally Posted by KLOC
The procedure for getting thPorsche Charge-O-Mat Pro to ‘connect’ and stay ‘connected’ to your 992 is known as The Canbus Dance.

My 2007 BMW GS Adventure requires the same Canbus Dance when using the under-seat accessory socket with the special BMW charger.

There is no way to wake up a Canbus controlled accessory socket short of turning on the ignition.

Doing The Canbus Dance ensures that the socket is awake and that the vehicle ‘knows’ not to turn the socket off in the presence of the Charge-O-Mat Pro.

1. Plug the charger into the footwell socket.
2. Turn the ignition to the accessory position.
3. Plug the charger into your wall socket.
4. Select the appropriate Charge-O-Mat charge mode for your battery type.
5. Turn off ignition and lock the vehicle.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:05 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Just got back from 3 weeks in Seattle and then Alaska! WOW. In any event, before I left, I used the CTEK lithium charger from Porsche to “top off my battery”. Zero problems unlocking and starting upon my return.

I have used the port inside the car, and if you follow the instructions - to the letter - with the CTEK charger, it won’t time out. Nevertheless, what I discovered was that charging through the 992’s cigarette lighter port, the CTEK charging indicator never showed a “full charge” (although it probably was fully charged)…so I called the technical guys at my Porsche dealership and they suggested charging directly at the battery terminals. So I pulled off the plastic covering/shroud (takes 10 sec) and did that. Then it showed a full charge on the indicator light(s).

I also used the same CTEK charger to top off my regular batter on my M4 (at the battery terminals - BMW makes it super easy to do). Worked l;Ike a champ.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 07-27-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:07 PM
GTS21
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 540gone
As posted above, but adding this since people keep asking. Then just connect charger, run the wire along the frunk hinge, close frunk (or not), done.
Any chance you could post photos of the battery connection and the part numbers? I have a Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro and want to hardwire it to avoid any (more) dead batteries. Thanks

Quick Reply: battery chargers