Sponsored by:

Water behind tail light

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020 | 08:38 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwaldi
Hey all—

I just had my dealer, Rusnak Westlake, replace the tail light today under warranty. I suspect this is a common issue among 992s.

D
Thread closed.
Old 05-31-2020 | 11:16 AM
SilverB
8th Gear

Default condensation in tail light

I just had the same issue with my 992 and the dealership did some investigation. They said this is what Porsche stated:Model Line:

All model lines

Subject:

The following lighting components:
  • Headlights
  • Side direction indicator light
  • Front direction indicator light
  • Fog lights
  • Auxiliary headlights
  • License plate light
  • Tail light
  • Additional brake light
Concern:

Customers complain that lighting components are fogged up.

Particularly at cold outside temperatures and/or when air humidity is high, moisture can build up on the inside of the lens.

info_outlineInformation

Lighting components are not designed to be completely leak-tight due to the open, spray water-proof ventilation system (required for pressure compensation purposes).

A build-up of moisture on lighting components is not caused by a defect and does not reduce the light output in any way. For this reason, if lighting components fog up, this is not a safety-relevant complaint and does not necessarily justify replacement of the affected lighting components.

I do know that the 992 has had some recalls recently so I am going to keep an eye on this.... It may not be a safety issue but more of a nuisance.....
The following users liked this post:
M3MSY (01-21-2024)
Old 05-31-2020 | 06:18 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
This thread recurs on a regular basis whenever a new 911 generation or facelift is released. Short answer is, it's 100% normal. Those lens assemblies aren't hermetically sealed. There will be some condensation under various conditions.

Some dealers have been induced to replace them just to make the customer happy, but at the end of the day Porsche does not consider this to be a failure, and will (presumably) not reimburse the dealer for replacing them under warranty.
In the latest issue of 000 magazine it showed a headlight from the original Turbo that, around the outside edge of the headlights, had tiny dots to disguise condensation.
Old 04-26-2021 | 01:56 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Bringing up an old thread and wondering if others see this. My left rear tail light always gets moisture in it whenever I wash it. Every time. My right tail light is completely dry. Of course, Porsche says this is normal Well the water does not evaporate even when I leave the car out in the sun on a warm day. It stays there for days. I'm not talking about a little condensation. Here are the pics 3 days after being washed.

Old 04-26-2021 | 04:30 PM
SilverB
8th Gear

That's a lot of water in the tail light. I had the identical situation and with a little pushback they replaced the tail light and never had the same issue since. I remember after about a week+ of driving around with water and not drying up, they caved in and agreed to replace it. The dealer covered it under warranty. Been less than a year since it was replaced and not once has it ever occurred again. I also had a similar issue with the center brake light and once that was changed, water never got back in.
Old 04-26-2021 | 11:53 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The issue (and I've had this on the wife's 2020 Macan S) is that LEDs simply don't put out enough heat to clear the moisture in the lens. I will of course see it this winter in the 992 but that's the reason. The old halogen or filament bulb generated enough heat to deal with this; LEDs don't.

Having said that do I expect this from a 160k+ car.?!.. I'll leave it as a rhetorical question/statement

siberian
Old 04-28-2021 | 07:05 PM
LASDSGT770
Rennlist Member

This is my wife's 2021 Macan GTS which we noticed prior to delivery. Obviously we made note of it. We were told it was normal condensation from the detailing prior to delivery. A week later the moisture it remained the same. (Photo) I notified the dealer and they ordered a new one replacing this one. No issues since and our detailer washes it every week. If it is considered normal why replace it and why did it not return since the replacement. Luckily our 992 has not had the issue or I would really be upset.

Old 04-28-2021 | 08:11 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post16332498

siberian
Old 05-18-2021 | 02:07 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Giving a shout out to Stevinson Porsche in Littleton CO. The service manager took it on and ordered a new tail light. I bet him that if we replaced it and did not fill up with water after a wash, that they would pay for it. Guess what. No water after getting the car washed. He still has to deal with Porsche saying it's just condensation. Well, that much water is definitely not condensation and it's just one light every time. Yes, these have vents but they should not fill up with water during a car wash. Too bad Porsche doesn't differentiate between a water leak and condensation. Seems like they just assume all water in the light is not their fault when clearly there are times when it actually is. Anyway, fixed at dealers expense. Good people!
Old 05-18-2021 | 02:41 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Which is why most folks do "therapy" and spend hours washing and putzing the car themselves... seriously? a car wash...? Where's the love???

siberian
Old 05-18-2021 | 03:02 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
Which is why most folks do "therapy" and spend hours washing and putzing the car themselves... seriously? a car wash...? Where's the love???

siberian
Quality bonding time 🤪

Old 05-18-2021 | 03:22 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Now THAT is much more like it...seriously who takes a Porsche to a car wash???

siberian
Old 05-18-2021 | 04:13 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by siberian
Now THAT is much more like it...seriously who takes a Porsche to a car wash???

siberian

It's brushless and during the winter, you cannot wash outside, you should know that. Also does a good job of getting the undercarriage clean. It's for those who actually drive their cars in the winter.
Old 05-18-2021 | 04:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's a car, it gets dirty and by 40 below I don't wash anything, and in summer I'm too busy.

Putzing my cars is not my therapy, my Siberian Huskies have that job full time thank you. Once or twice a year max, YMMV

siberian

Quick Reply: Water behind tail light