Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner Review - Drive, Features & Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 589 Posts

That steering wheel looks like it could trap small fingers, but I guess that's just the way it looks.

Congratulations!

Old 12-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,329 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Lol I haven't either that's why I won't cast judgment or say one way or another if 992 has turbo lag or not

As far as the 991.2, I can only speak for it in C4 guise with the base 3.0. That engine had such little turbo lag that even if it did, it felt less "laggy" than its 991.1 3.8L NA predecessor from a standstill (which I now have). I think perspective again is everything, noting now that turbo engines today are not the turbo engines of old for what it's worth... If you come from .2 GT3 into a 991.2 or 992 you will probably feel a smidge of lag, but nowhere near the same lag as in TurboS or 570S or another wait for it 1.7 seconds later hold on for dear life boost turbo car. Porsche managed to make the turbo surge more linear/progressive and react much faster not unlike what Ferrari did with the 488 engine in my opinion (but of course not to the same extent)

As for sound that's different and even more subjective, I love 991.2 sound more than 991.1 sound in some ways (I had PSE)
I've spend several weeks in a 991.2 C2S and a full day in a 992.1 C2S. Both had very noticeable lag compared to my 991.2 GT3. I don't have much time in the base turbo carreras. I have noticed multiple reviewers comment that the base turbo carreras had less lag than the S models. However none of the good auto journalists ever went so far as to say there was no lag in any of the 991.2 or 992.1 cars. A few nobodies maybe, but none of the high end journalists that actually know cars.
Agree that Porsche did a solid job with their turbos and they are more linear than BMW, MB ,or McLaren, but I still think they are a long way off from what Ferrari has accomplished with the 488, Pista, etc.

Agree that sound is subjective. Agree that 991.1 sound isn't much to write home about. Of all the 991 cars, only the GT cars have a great sound to them, IMO.
I just appreciate that the 488 sounds good for a turbo. Nowhere near as good as a 458 ,but for turbo the 488 sound is quite good.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:52 PM
Captain Average
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

After four new 911s (996 C4 Cab, 997.1 C2, 997.2 C2S, 991.1 C2S; I skipped the 991.2 after a test drive), I narrowed my list to 992 C2S and Ferrari 488.

The Ferrari was compelling - strong engine with no noticeable lag (to be expected with 30 percent more displacement than a 992), very good DCT, 7 years of maintenance included, good looks and sound - but I picked the 992 because:
1. I saw the F8 on a trip to Tokyo and it is much better looking than the 488, further crushing the 488's resale value. If I was important enough to get an early F8 allocation, that would have been my first choice.
2. My friends with Ferraris do not drive their cars more than a few hundred miles per year because they fear depreciation. My 911s are used for long trips and the occasional track days. I do not want to have a great car that I would hesitate to drive.
3. I saw build quality issues.

I picked up my 992 C2S in November and drove Trail of the Dragon, Rattler, Back of the Dragon, etc., driving 2,200 miles in the first week.
The 992 significantly improves in acceleration and handling. Bottom line: The 992 always brings a smile to your face.
There is some turbo lag when not in Sport mode.
The 992’s DCT is breathtaking in its shift speed and unerring gear selection.
The 992 SPASM’s Bilsteins have more bandwidth and control than prior versions.

Nits (all minor) -
The headliner is a step backward
I prefer the 991 door cards
The lawyers are evident (limited control over the headlights; multiple passenger seat belt warnings; more restrictions on PCM usage while in motion).
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (12-31-2019)

Quick Reply: New Owner Review - Drive, Features & Options