Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner Review - Drive, Features & Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 03:25 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

TMA - is your color jet black metallic or standard black? Just wondering.. if it’s metallic, do the color matched inlays stand out over the piano black or does it blend without noticing the metallic?
Old 12-22-2019, 03:27 PM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
TMA - is your color jet black metallic or standard black? Just wondering.. if it’s metallic, do the color matched inlays stand out over the piano black or does it blend without noticing the metallic?
Jet Black. Yes there's a small difference between the metallic and piano finishes but its barely noticable and only around the cupholder area where both meet.
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (12-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 09:22 PM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TMA
Love it. One issue though ... you don't get the matching leather on the middle part around the crest like you do with the regular wheel. Bummed about that since my interior is grey (would've worked nicely) but it would probably look ugly with other leather colors hence the standard black center.
I've got the Alcantara steering wheel in my Macan. I added it after purchase because it just feels great. It does, however, require a bit of upkeep to continue feeling great over time. I keep a small brush in the door pocket and use it every few days to bring the fibers back to life--sometimes while I am stopped at a light. I also clean the wheel every so often using some alcantara cleaner I bought on Amazon. Dirt and oils from your hands transfer to the wheel and a small bit of upkeep from time to time will ensure you continue to love the wheel.

OP, nice ride. Enjoy it, and thanks for the write up!
Old 12-22-2019, 10:00 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,329 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by beastbay
Any turbo lag in normal setting? How about Sport or Sport Plus?
Originally Posted by 992Sam
I don't know about him, but in the 30 or so miles I've driven it, I didn't go over 3000RPM... I felt no lag.
Originally Posted by TMA
None.
No turbo lag in the 992...........

Last edited by Drifting; 12-23-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:34 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I don't know about him, but in the 30 or so miles I've driven it, I didn't go over 3000RPM... I felt no lag, but then I hardly asked the engine to do anything yet.
It's not generating much in terms of boost when you're that low in the RPM range. It really doesn't come onto the boost until you're north of 4000RPM -- then, it indeed comes alive. While the Porsche does a good job hiding it, there is some lag, but it's a clear improvement over the 991.2 setup. The sounds that the 992 makes on the boil are pretty fantastic and it's yet another area that's honestly a leap over the 991.2. If this had been Porsche's first attempt at bringing turbochargers to the non-"Turbo" cars, everyone would have given it a warm embrace. Of course, we may never have gotten to this wonderful place without the 991.2.

I do have to say, for all of the PDK brilliance, you're not going to make good use of what this motor can put down if you're driving it around in automatic mode. Like every automatic, the PDK isn't immune from making some brain dead gear choices and it will will rev hang under some of the dumbest conditions. For cruising around in stop-n-go traffic, etc, it's great, but if it's "go time", hit that M button and use the paddles.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
992Sam (12-22-2019), scr1244 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 11:43 PM
PopPorscheCherry
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice indeed...Thanks for the owner's perspective! What are your thoughts coming from 4S to 2S. Do you feel any differences in performance?
Old 12-22-2019, 11:54 PM
TMA
Advanced

Originally Posted by PopPorscheCherry
Very nice indeed...Thanks for the owner's perspective! What are your thoughts coming from 4S to 2S. Do you feel any differences in performance?
The 2S is much more agile and fun than the 4S IMHO. To me the 4S always felt like something wasn't quite right in the front from a weight and balance perspective. The power/acceleration difference is impossible to feel. Also, I live in a warm country with no snow so I never got the benefits of AWD.

I struggled with this for a few weeks and then chose the 2S with zero regrets. Test drive them back to back before you decide which is what I did.
PopPorscheCherry (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 01:00 AM
TMA
Advanced

UPDATE
Some thoughts on SPASM ... much better than previous generation. Though it's lower than standard, the way they designed the new front lip allows for better entry on speed bumps. On the same speed bumps as a 991.2 GTS I find it to not scrape at all and there's almost no wheel to arch friction when you take a speed bump too fast. You really do feel the new springs' wider range of motion so you get the benefit of comfort without compromising performance. Having said that, it sounds and feels harsher going over road imperfections at speed so it really depends on where you'll be driving it.

Last edited by TMA; 12-23-2019 at 09:26 AM.
992Sam (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 03:37 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TMA
That's all I have for now; shoot me any questions or thoughts!
thats the second time I’ve seen the interior paint option and really liked it 👍
Old 12-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TMA
UPDATE
Some thoughts on PASM ... much better than previous generation
did you mean to say PASM or SPASM?
Old 12-23-2019, 09:25 AM
TMA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jkb545
did you mean to say PASM or SPASM?
SPASM sorry
Old 12-23-2019, 04:34 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by TMA
Congrats! I've been following yours too (Yellow dials right?)

Yeah I know. It's a niggle not a major issue. But it does feel in this day and age that they could've executed better. The CarPlay thing is really pissing me off though. I don't have big fingers and I still struggle to hit the right icon.
Congrats on your beautiful 992 & thanks for sharing your impressions as an owner (seems like quite a few having been coming in from "backseat drivers")

Having the same PCM setup in my '19 Cayenne I totally agree with your opinion that the UX could have been better. Fidgeting to get CarPlay running while driving can be dangerous as you try to hit (and inevitably miss) the icon either on the left stack or top bar. Don't know if most owners are using it, but I would have preferred to have a dedicated CarPlay button in the car even since its the first thing I hook up

Old 12-23-2019, 04:43 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
No turbo lag in the 992...........
Lol why are you even on the 992 subforum Drifting... if you have nothing nice to say..... & many different perspectives too. Have you driven the 992?

Turbo lag in the 3.0 after your 4.0 I'm sure is noticeable, but drive a 570S or other more traditional turbo engine car and you may realize that there is little to no turbo lag in the 992 comparatively

Same with my experience in the Ferrari 488. Drive it and you feel no turbo lag, in fact it picks up quicker than the NA 3.8L in my 50th by a significant margin for response time. Then compared to my Speciale, I noticed the fraction of a second in lag in the 488

All just depends on where you are coming from, and for sure not all turbo engines are created equal!
The following 2 users liked this post by sampelligrino:
detansinn (12-23-2019), jkautz (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 06:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,329 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Lol why are you even on the 992 subforum Drifting... if you have nothing nice to say..... & many different perspectives too. Have you driven the 992?

Turbo lag in the 3.0 after your 4.0 I'm sure is noticeable, but drive a 570S or other more traditional turbo engine car and you may realize that there is little to no turbo lag in the 992 comparatively

Same with my experience in the Ferrari 488. Drive it and you feel no turbo lag, in fact it picks up quicker than the NA 3.8L in my 50th by a significant margin for response time. Then compared to my Speciale, I noticed the fraction of a second in lag in the 488

All just depends on where you are coming from, and for sure not all turbo engines are created equal!
I check the 992 forum from time to time until the mods finally make a dedicated 992 GT car forum, which hopefully will be soon.

Have you driven the 992?

Your Ferrari 488 is special and was the first turbo on the market to be basically lag free, because Ferrari took the time, effort, and money to make it so. They also put a lot of R & D into the sound of the car. The 488 and its successors are the only turbo cars I would consider, largely for those reasons. Truly the best of both worlds.

Porsche has not done that with the 991.2 or 992, which I have driven and although they have less lag than many turbo cars, but they are nowhere near the almost lag free experience of the 488. That's why I laughed as all the new 992 owners complimented themselves on their lag free car, because turbo drivers have been bragging about not having lag in their new car of different makes for the past decade, but only Ferrari has delivered the goods.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:42 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
I check the 992 forum from time to time until the mods finally make a dedicated 992 GT car forum, which hopefully will be soon.

Have you driven the 992?

Your Ferrari 488 is special and was the first turbo on the market to be basically lag free, because Ferrari took the time, effort, and money to make it so. They also put a lot of R & D into the sound of the car. The 488 and its successors are the only turbo cars I would consider, largely for those reasons. Truly the best of both worlds.

Porsche has not done that with the 991.2 or 992, which I have driven and although they have less lag than many turbo cars, but they are nowhere near the almost lag free experience of the 488. That's why I laughed as all the new 992 owners complimented themselves on their lag free car, because turbo drivers have been bragging about not having lag in their new car of different makes for the past decade, but only Ferrari has delivered the goods.
Lol I haven't either that's why I won't cast judgment or say one way or another if 992 has turbo lag or not

As far as the 991.2, I can only speak for it in C4 guise with the base 3.0. That engine had such little turbo lag that even if it did, it felt less "laggy" than its 991.1 3.8L NA predecessor from a standstill (which I now have). I think perspective again is everything, noting now that turbo engines today are not the turbo engines of old for what it's worth... If you come from .2 GT3 into a 991.2 or 992 you will probably feel a smidge of lag, but nowhere near the same lag as in TurboS or 570S or another wait for it 1.7 seconds later hold on for dear life boost turbo car. Porsche managed to make the turbo surge more linear/progressive and react much faster not unlike what Ferrari did with the 488 engine in my opinion (but of course not to the same extent)

As for sound that's different and even more subjective, I love 991.2 sound more than 991.1 sound in some ways (I had PSE)

Quick Reply: New Owner Review - Drive, Features & Options