Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many times did you change build before freeze?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019 | 03:55 AM
moomin
Instructor

Default How many times did you change build before freeze?

I've changed colors 3x, and I've changed/added other options another 2 times. Dealers being very cool about it, but I'm wondering if others as as indecisive as me, esp RE color?

Also please can someone make me feel better about choosing Carrara White? I'm literally 50/50 on white vs black.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2019 | 04:23 AM
PBM
Instructor

I chose standard white, but that probably as my other car is white and had white before that . I toyed briefly with the idea of the metallic white but could not get my head around looking after a clear coat on what is basically white. Hey but each to their own. I'm not a red car person , but recently saw a 992 on the road in Carmine red, and it was quite... stunning.
I changed nothing major after 1st pass, deleted one item added 2 ...and that was that. I guess its because I had pretty settled opinions on what the car should be like before I got near the configuration. I didn't go too mad either added 15% to a 4S
Old 12-09-2019 | 04:38 AM
MarineDrive
Advanced

I'm sure most of us here waiting for their cars have gone through this to some extent or the other. In my case, I went to the extent of changing vehicle type before locking down. I initially contacted the dealership looking at the Cayenne Turbo, then almost locked that down, only to change my order to a 992 C2S at the last minute. After locking down the build, I too had many moments of indecisiveness before the freeze. (PDCC? RWS? leather interior or standard interior? Surround view camera? color and seat combos?) But when freeze date passes, you have to just go with your gut and enjoy the vehicle that's coming to you. Unless you're patient enough repeat the process again for 4-6 months for an option you thought is too important to miss.

As for the exterior color predicament, Carrara White has been a long-time favorite light color of mine, that was, until I saw Chalk/Crayon.
Old 12-09-2019 | 05:00 AM
JHesketh
Racer

I only changed the spec with my SA once but it was a total change from a soft GT 4S to a sport focussed 2S. So pretty much a 180 turnaround.

Between my first order and the change I think I developed a serious configurator dependency problem. Once I placed the revised order I went cold turkey on the configurator. I wouldn’t even allow myself to open it to look at specs posted on here by other folk.

Fortunately I regret nothing.
Old 12-09-2019 | 10:21 AM
rangerfan94
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JHesketh

I only changed the spec with my SA once but it was a total change from a soft GT 4S to a sport focussed 2S. So pretty much a 180 turnaround.

Between my first order and the change I think I developed a serious configurator dependency problem. Once I placed the revised order I went cold turkey on the configurator. I wouldn’t even allow myself to open it to look at specs posted on here by other folk.

Fortunately I regret nothing.
It is addictive. But I could stop .... if I wanted to. Good thing there isn't an app for my phone Seriously though, I'm going to order this week, and I've spent the better part of a year figuring out what I want, what I need and what I am willing to pay for. My goal is to lock the build the 1st time--and then only go back and change it twice
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019 | 11:13 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

I placed an order, then cancelled with the dealer for lack of honesty. Then I was able to get a great deal at another dealer for my white 992. I made one add before it locked, adding the sport design front & side skirts.. and actually pulled off one more add after it locked by adding PCCB’s.

However, before I settled on white, I had an eye on aventurine green with Iceland/black interior. And ultimately decided against it. I just wasn’t comfortable with it, not knowing how I’d feel about it years down the road.. but if I had the guts for it, I would of grabbed it. One of the best, if not thee best color option the 992 has currently.

You can’t go wrong.. White is a great color for the 911 in general. It’s a classic sporty look, and I’m a big follower of Porsche racing and others mfg’s as well.. and for me, white is a nod to the Porsche racing lineage.
Old 12-09-2019 | 11:50 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

I cancelled 1 order. I didn't like their customer service. Found out the sales person I was working with quit same month. I was not able to track down who replaced him and it was a mess. So I walked in and cancelled.

I went with my current dealer. Excellent. I have changed my order twice, thanks to Aerokit And delivery pushed back to April 2020
Well patience pays off
The following users liked this post:
NJ991 (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019 | 09:38 PM
DY369
Instructor

You won't ever get it right. Just be at peace with that.

There are so many options that it's not possible to see or experience things firsthand to even know you want them. There will be things you thought you needed that you don't and things you didn't that you do. That's what car 2 or 3 or 4 is for.

I'm on my 4th and still have certain things I wish I would have changed.
Old 12-09-2019 | 09:54 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Go with your first instincts, and always add those small options you initially wanted and probably left out. That will leave you with your perfect build.
Old 12-09-2019 | 10:01 PM
PJSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by moomin
I've changed colors 3x, and I've changed/added other options another 2 times. Dealers being very cool about it, but I'm wondering if others as as indecisive as me, esp RE color?

Also please can someone make me feel better about choosing Carrara White? I'm literally 50/50 on white vs black.

Thanks
4 changes.
Old 12-10-2019 | 12:15 AM
carson2
Racer

Went back and forth between Chalk and GT Silver a couple of times (Chalk with chalk interior tach/sport chrono/belts, GT with guards red). Really was leaning towards chalk, wimped out last minute. All's well though, the GT silver with red/black looks fabulous. Going in tomorrow for full body/wheel/caliper ceramics. Quality problem - locking options on a 911.
Old 12-10-2019 | 01:39 AM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Ask me how many times I changed my order after it got locked! I think it was 4 or 5. I lost count lol

Changed the color back
and forth. Added a few small options. Now
i wish I have added a few other!
Old 12-10-2019 | 01:49 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

If I got a penny for every minute I spent on the configurator, configurating my two 911s, I would be a very wealthy man, indeed. It's your baby. It is a series of decisions that deserve to be poured over time and time again.
Old 12-10-2019 | 02:27 AM
Skaf
Track Day

I made one change. Changed the exterior color from miami blue to carmine red. No regrets, the blue would have been a bit much since I daily the car.
Old 12-10-2019 | 07:45 AM
Michael Smith
Rennlist Member

My car is built and I'm still changing things. So far like 4 changes after I ordered it. I blame Porsce for making me wait so long. . 🤣🤣🤣

Quick Reply: How many times did you change build before freeze?