Sponsored by:

Damaged Pre Delivery - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 10:39 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Well I agree with all the post saying go for option 1 as it won't hurt resale at all as it is not in a carfax HOWEVER I would reject it. Just me. Lots of money and it would always be in the back of my mind and that would drive me crazy. also not sure why or how you are paying in full before taking delivery, that is weird to be out full sales price for 7 months, sounds shady.

I would say no thanks and either buy another new one on the lot if it is perfect or order another.
But how will you know the next one is perfect? might be lightly damaged and fixed without you knowing. Plus you will get rock chips and minor scratches anyway on the car when you drive it and it will lose value even if you keep it garaged. So in my opinion, is it worth it to worry about getting a brand new bumper? ask for a small rebate for you troubles and enjoy your car. believe me, many things will happen to it while you drive it, it will not stay pristine for ever. Life is now. if they have another one specced the same, fine get that one instead, but is it worth waiting another 6 months for a car? the dealer is obviously honest, which seems rather rare, so I would like to keep a good relationship with them for the future as well.

The following users liked this post:
soguinness (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 11:19 AM
EdwardW
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockrdude
Plus you will get rock chips and minor scratches anyway on the car when you drive it and it will lose value even if you keep it garaged. So in my opinion, is it worth it to worry about getting a brand new bumper?
But I would want to be the first to damage the car by enjoying it not for it to be damaged by some idiot not taking care whilst handling the car at the docks.
The following 4 users liked this post by EdwardW:
goin2drt (11-29-2019), jkautz (11-29-2019), rhr992c4s (11-29-2019), SamD (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 12:44 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Personally I like the idea of getting it repaired and seeing if it is satisfactory to you or not before making a decision so long as it won't affect the title or Carfax (I would still personally keep photos/records and disclose to next owner if ever sold)
Old 11-29-2019, 04:09 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 100 Posts

I would not accept this, except you are going to lease the car for 1 year or similar for a daily driver. As long as it is your dream 911 for weekend driving, you should pick up a brand new car without previous damages.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:17 PM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Well I agree with all the post saying go for option 1 as it won't hurt resale at all as it is not in a carfax HOWEVER I would reject it. Just me. Lots of money and it would always be in the back of my mind and that would drive me crazy. also not sure why or how you are paying in full before taking delivery, that is weird to be out full sales price for 7 months, sounds shady.

I would say no thanks and either buy another new one on the lot if it is perfect or order another.
i should have clarified... I only paid 10% up to when the car arrived, at which point I paid the rest to prioritize it for PDI and registration ahead of other customers who hadn’t yet paid. The AD recommended this option to get the car to me faster. However we didn’t anticipate this issue otherwise I’d be driving it by now.

re your point on ordering a new one I guess the same thing could happen again and I’d have to wait another 6 months to get the spec I want. The one they have in stock looks like Ronald McDonald did the spec while drunk on nuggets.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:51 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TMA
i should have clarified... I only paid 10% up to when the car arrived, at which point I paid the rest to prioritize it for PDI and registration ahead of other customers who hadn’t yet paid. The AD recommended this option to get the car to me faster. However we didn’t anticipate this issue otherwise I’d be driving it by now.

re your point on ordering a new one I guess the same thing could happen again and I’d have to wait another 6 months to get the spec I want. The one they have in stock looks like Ronald McDonald did the spec while drunk on nuggets.
While I understand the frustration of a car damaged in shipment, a new bumper isn't really a big deal at all. It's frustrating and a pain but once the new bumper is on it's fine, perfect. Now if there was a mechanical or structural issue I'd absolutely get a new car sent, but a bumper is designed as a replaceable piece.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:56 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
This is a bit similar to my situation. I have a long thread on it. The rocker panel of my car was damaged pre-delivery. I waited for repair , but they weren’t able to replicate the pebbled texture of the lower portion of the rocker panel without re-painting the side of the car. The blended repair was still noticeable , so my decision was to wait for another car.

I see a bumper as a removable bolt on part, not the main body of the car. A good shop can match the paint. I would be OK with a new bumper.

They have to repair the car anyway, so let them repair it first and then make a decision. That is what I did.

By all means , get opinions, but make the decision that is right for you. It’s your hard earned money and you should be 100% happy with the car.

In a case like this, I would ABSOLUTELY want a new car.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 531 Posts

My 15 GT3 came in with scrapes on the underside and scratches on the top of the wing and along the bottom of the rear deck lid, minor. The dealer told me I could take it anywhere I wanted for repairs. Took it to Rod Stryker at Quality Automotive in Cincinnati and no one could tell it had been repaired.
I'd be more concerned about the delivery tech bouncing the tach off the redline in all gears during the test drive.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,325 Likes on 748 Posts

If i had speced the car exactly how i wanted it no way would i let it go for a bumper replacement.
Would i be pissed, absolutely. And i would make them crazy for accommodations, and be **** about the paint but i would do what i could to get my car home. If the job is done right once you start driving it and get your first road war nicks you will be happy you have it to drive.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Option 1. I don't think the bumpers are painted on the car at the factory, but painted separately. As Long as its a factory painted bumper it should match spot on.

I'd leave the car unregistered until its repaired and inspected to your liking, and delivered to you in pristine condition.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:05 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

It's new and won't hurt the resale value, and it won't be reported. It's being handled from within. If it was me buying this car from you, it wouldn't make any difference.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Make sure to keep the damaged bumper.

#garageart
They will not give him the bumper if opts for replacement. I could not even keep the PCM ***** that they replaced (I asked). And I would get it repaired and if it is noticeable get it replaced, and be sure to tell them what your intentions are before they proceed. If they disagree get a new bumper.

Quick Reply: Damaged Pre Delivery - Thoughts?