Sponsored by:

Lane Change Assist

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 01:41 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnMac911
I have it in both my 718 and Cayenne and it is a nice feature, but the flip side is that it does fade in the background somewhat during normal use - I often forget it is even there and I can't say it has ever helped me avoid a collision. That said, I am a big advocate for properly setting your mirrors where you almost eliminate the blind spot in the first place. I know it is comforting to see the side of your car in your mirror, but if you widen them you can usually eliminate the blindspot completely. When set properly you can see cars transfer from your rear view to your side mirror and then into your peripheral vision. I'd rather see the car or motorcycle sitting near my rear bumper than be able to tell if my car is clean from the inside.
I think I can speak for most when I say, most of us will set out side-view mirrors to see the side of the car not just to see the side of the car. But really to avoid large gaps between the mirror frame and glass. Each time I move my mirror outside the “standard” view that partially views the side of the car, it would create an ugly gap that I hated. Just my .02
Old 11-25-2019, 01:47 AM
Meeper
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

It’s annoying that Porsche charges over $1k for this. I have it on a GMC that’s a fraction of the cost of these cars. With that said, it’s useful so I’ll likely add it to my build. Nicely played Porsche, nicely played.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:09 AM
soguinness
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by G650
I’ve set my mirrors this way for as long as I can remember, and guess what? No blind spots! It baffles me why drivers would adjust their side view mirrors any other way.

Just recently I had a Cayenne loaner that had the LCA feature, and I adjusted the side view mirrors my usual way.
Driving around town and on the freeways, every time the LCA detected a car in my so called “blind spot”, and illuminated the orange lights, I could clearly see the culprit vehicle smack dab in the middle of my side view mirror.

This completely validated my decision to leave the LCA option off my 992 build.
Sure this is true but seeing your own car on the
mirror has benefits too. You can see if the car is scratching anything while you park in narrow spots.

On the other hand I have not specced the LCA. Blind spots are totally manageable when you take care.
The following users liked this post:
G650 (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 05:43 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Video:
https://contact.porsche.com/filestor...S-4564-mp4.mp4
Old 11-25-2019, 10:44 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,075 Likes on 2,985 Posts

If you are trying to nickel and dime your build, I can understand why you might try to skip it, but as a safety feature, it’s entirely useful.

I have posted elsewhere that Sport Chrono is THE must have option, but LCA is definitely up there in terms of utility.
AlexCeres (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 05:58 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Took a demo C4S out on Saturday that had Lane Change Assist. Added it to the order (scheduled to lock this Friday).
Good move. Also, when you take delivery, ask your sales' person to show you in the settings where you can adjust the brightness of the light. I believe Porsche sets them at medium.
gcurnew (11-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Lane Change Assist