Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep my license plate with European delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 10:55 PM
sslow
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to keep my license plate with European delivery?

Hello all,
I am wondering whether it is possible to keep my current license plate with European delivery (I am in the US).
I am hoping to do a European delivery in next June (from mid to late June), and the dealer told me that I probably need to trade in my current car by mid-May. The dealer also told me that if I want to keep my current license plate, I should not cancel my insurance, and when the new car arrives, call insurance to replace the old car in my insurance policy.
First, my concern is that once I trade in my old car, this car can be registered by others, and the VIN number could be associated with other license plate / insurance policy. Could this trigger any issue? Second, to make thing more complicated, my current license plate needs to be renewed in each September, and typically I received a mail from DMV to remind me in early August. If I do European delivery in June, the dealer told me that the car will likely arrive by mid to late August. Could this timeline mess up anything?
Any previous experience is appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 11-23-2019, 12:23 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,004 Posts

This varies greatly by state. In CA, you’d keep your own vanity plates.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:47 AM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

I just did European Delivery and am waiting for my car to arrive stateside. I ended up keeping my old license plate. About a month before delivery I finalized all my paperwork, traded my car, and paid for the new car. I also changed my insurance for the new car which while not in the US had a vin already. My dealer made me sign some paperwork which would allow them to start the registration/license plate transfer about a month after delivery. So it is possible I just don’t know more specifics as the dealer took care of everything and seemed to know what they were doing with the European Delivery.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:51 AM
bah212
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default depends on state DMV

In NY when you cancel your insurance the dmv will send you a notice to turn in your plates. You can bring them to the DMV office with a request to hold them at the local office for up to a few months while you await delivery of your new car. I just did this with a prof org plate that I did not want to reapply for.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:48 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 698 Likes on 487 Posts

Where I live you cancel insurance when you have the money from the sale and have the option to keep your inactive plates indefinitely. They are activated again when I register a different car if I choose to use them

Quick Reply: How to keep my license plate with European delivery?