Sponsored by:

European Delivery 992

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts
Default European Delivery 992

I just returned from European Delivery at Zuffenhausen for my 992 Carrera S. Thanks for all the great posts on Rennlist throughout the year, it’s been very enjoyable and helpful! (Special thanks to user subshooter for some helpful videos!)

I placed the order in January but the ED kept getting postponed due to the delay in EPA certification. I ended up pushing it till end of October but had to give up the dream of driving the Swiss passes given the potential colder weather. Regardless I declined winter tires in hopes of better weather. I picked the car up, got the factory tour and visited the museum. All I can say is it was quite an eventful experience that made the new car that much more enjoyable. (The Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart is fantastic too). Decided to travel mainly in Germany, with an occasional day in Switzerland and France. (Rothenburg, Neuschwanstein Castle, Vals, Lindau, Freiburg, Baden Baden, Straussburg, Nürburgring, and return car at Frankfurt)

The roads were quite empty for the most part at this time of year, and best of all we were blessed with great weather! Managed last minute to drive The Stelvio, Umbrail, Offen and Fluela Swiss Passes. All in all I managed to check the 4 things on my bucket list: Porsche Factory, Stelvio Pass, The Ring, and 200 mph run on the Autobahn!!! (Yes this car will easily hit that speed). The car is absolutely a dream. Coming from other 911s (and I still own an air cooled one) I can say this is the best yet and at any given task not only is the performance absolutely shocking, but the sound and drama are intoxicating. Now the long wait till it gets delivered stateside which is worse than the first time I waited to pick it up at the factory... having had a brief taste in the most absolutely perfect conditions... I’m counting the days till I can ride her again!

Here are some pictures:

Porsche Factory Werke I, where delivery takes place

Tunnel at delivery with my car at the end next to a GT1!

Dolomite Silver C2S

Graphite Blue interior

Porsche a museum with a handful of Porsche Drive 992s

Taycan charging at the factory!

Parked the car outside of Werke I factory and replaced the ugly orange reflectors

Hotel in Neuschwanstein Castle grounds

Very tight parking garages... I was freaking out in this garage in Ulm until I saw this 911 R casually parked...

Top of Stelvio Pass! Perfect weather.

Umbrail Pass

200 MPH! Waze maxed out at 146 mph on every run.

Found a cousin in a garage in Straussburg

Porsche Tractor inside a restaurant in Lindau.

Took a lap on this GT2 RS MR! Out of this world... but the 992 sound on high revs was definitely in the same family!
The following 7 users liked this post by Sebvelez:
Gadgetman (11-12-2019), Guaji (11-12-2019), markchristenson (11-11-2019), ribold01 (01-31-2021), Steve48 (11-12-2019), subshooter (11-12-2019), touringGT3 (11-12-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Great story and an impressive bucket list………200 MPH - BIG THUMBS UP !!!
Old 11-11-2019, 08:14 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I'd love to do ED when I buy my 992. Your post might have just cemented the idea. Beautiful car.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:46 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

OOOOOh... I love euro delivery stories. Picking up my M3 in Germany was one of my favorite trips ever. I wish it didn't kill your ability to negotiate discounts on 992. Probably worth it but man, the BMW program is well thought out.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:23 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Wonderful post - thanks! How long did you have with the car in Europe? It seems like you covered a fair bit of ground.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:08 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

Superb!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Excellent story! I get over to Germany on business a few times each year and this post makes me think ED might be worth considering :-)
Old 11-11-2019, 11:44 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Epic. Your post made me so glad I settled on Dolomite Silver.
The following users liked this post:
soguinness (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:00 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Awesome summary, looks like a truly amazing time. Cannot wait for my euro delivery spring next year! Thanks for sharing
Old 11-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Guaji
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 142 Posts

Congratulations! I’ll be on the lookout for your car while driving around Miami Beach. I haven’t seen a 992 on the streets yet, except at a parking garage in the Grove.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Great pics and beautiful car...congrats!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Zeus Das
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I am also down in Miami and expect to pick up my C2S, MT, Carmine Red on 5/1/20 - as per Porsche's "Track Your Dream" web site. Obviously, one of my first trips would be to celebrate with my wife by driving down to Smith & Wollensky on the water. Maybe, we will bump into you and your beauty. One advantage I will have over you is I will probably have to valet my own car, it being a MT.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Thank you all for the kind words!

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I'd love to do ED when I buy my 992. Your post might have just cemented the idea. Beautiful car.
You need to do it!! Red Targa?

Originally Posted by slc4s
OOOOOh... I love euro delivery stories. Picking up my M3 in Germany was one of my favorite trips ever. I wish it didn't kill your ability to negotiate discounts on 992. Probably worth it but man, the BMW program is well thought out.
I ordered on the second round of allocations with a specific ED in mind so that totally killed any discount. But hey it was absolutely worth it! Agreed Porsche's program is nothing close to BMW. Its a lot smaller, (at least at Zuffenhausen) They told me at delivery during this time of year they have less deliveries at the factory so they only open a few days a week to do so.

Originally Posted by aggie57
Wonderful post - thanks! How long did you have with the car in Europe? It seems like you covered a fair bit of ground.
I could only take 10 days off but made every second count.

Originally Posted by seanhaus
Epic. Your post made me so glad I settled on Dolomite Silver.
It's a very underestimated color. What surprised me is that under some light it has some really cool blue hues to it in real life. Hard to photograph but I have to say I really like it. It also tends to be more "glossy" than GT silver. Even the delivery guy at the factory was loving the Dolomite/Graphite Blue combo, which was a nice.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Awesome summary, looks like a truly amazing time. Cannot wait for my euro delivery spring next year! Thanks for sharing
Fantastic!

Originally Posted by Guaji
Congratulations! I’ll be on the lookout for your car while driving around Miami Beach. I haven’t seen a 992 on the streets yet, except at a parking garage in the Grove.
I actually saw a development mule in near my house in January which sealed the deal for me, going to the dealer and placing a deposit that week. Then the day before traveling for ED I saw three 992s around my neighborhood... that's Miami for you!

Originally Posted by Zeus Das
Thanks for sharing. I am also down in Miami and expect to pick up my C2S, MT, Carmine Red on 5/1/20 - as per Porsche's "Track Your Dream" web site. Obviously, one of my first trips would be to celebrate with my wife by driving down to Smith & Wollensky on the water. Maybe, we will bump into you and your beauty. One advantage I will have over you is I will probably have to valet my own car, it being a MT.
LOL, I will be parking it blocks away to avoid the that valet!! I think I might have to go there and celebrate when mine arrives... Carmine red is epic, congrats.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 142 Posts

Actually today I saw my first 992 “in the wild” driving north on US1 and turning right on Lejeune Rd. Looked great! One of my favorite colors, chalk with standard exhaust and spyder wheels. I was behind admiring the view until an Escalade pulled in front of me.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for the great story and awesome photos, Sebvelez. I haven't ordered mine but looking to do ED by end of April or sometime in May. When do you suggest I aim to place my order to hit this target? I also have Dolomite SIlver as my latest exterior color, but have been agonizing over dolomite, GT, and gentian blue for a couple weeks now. Haha.

Quick Reply: European Delivery 992