Sponsored by:

The value of the GTS in the turbo age

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 06:29 PM
neil.yoshi
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default The value of the GTS in the turbo age

I'm pretty familiar with the GTS concept. What are the performance features that are totally unique to the model and do they have any real worth in the turbo era? For instance there is a mild HP increase. If you plan to exhaust and tune your 911 you'll realize a much greater power gain. What other unique performance features does the GTS offer that would make you consider it over the S? Centerlocks and plastic bits don't count.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.yoshi
I'm pretty familiar with the GTS concept. What are the performance features that are totally unique to the model and do they have any real worth in the turbo era? For instance there is a mild HP increase. If you plan to exhaust and tune your 911 you'll realize a much greater power gain. What other unique performance features does the GTS offer that would make you consider it over the S? Centerlocks and plastic bits don't count.
The GTS conventionally offers the best overall value of the range, from a performance standpoint (though I'd argue a low option non-S Turbo is pretty high up there in performance/dollar, relatively speaking)
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
dj997 (11-05-2019), PeterB123 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:36 PM
neil.yoshi
Instructor

Right I get that. I'm not asking from the value proposition perspective, that's the point of the GTS. Im asking if there's any unique performance gains that would make you consider it vs an S. Keep in mind an S with an exhuast tune is going to be damn near 600hp.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:48 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

During the decision process, I considered 911s up to the GTS.

The C4S ticked all my boxes, 30 extra hp wasn't that important.

For a tuner, the best bang for the buck would be a base, they produce the largest power gains from just a software re-write, if the results from the internet are to believed
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:50 PM
neil.yoshi
Instructor

its a 4.0l TT unless the software/exhaust are garbage you should expect well north of 100hp. Porsche aren't the first cars to run boost.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Right I get that. I'm not asking from the value proposition perspective, that's the point of the GTS. Im asking if there's any unique performance gains that would make you consider it vs an S. Keep in mind an S with an exhuast tune is going to be damn near 600hp.
Typically you can spec an S to GTS spec with the powerkit and other options. It will be more expensive that way, but it's possible. I believe centerlock wheels are going to be the only GTS feature not available on the S as an option. The performance advantages of those wheels are debatable, as you've implied yourself - personally I don't think they make sense in a street car. But they do look very cool.

The TT is a unique platform in terms of underlying build and very receptive to monster horsepower.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:58 PM
neil.yoshi
Instructor

I love the centerlocks but the ones for the upcoming GTS look so fem I want to puke.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:07 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

In previous generations the GTS was basically a “Value package option” above a Carrera S. It was always possible to spec out a regular “S” with options such as a “Power Kit”, Sport suspension, Sport exhaust, Sports chrono package, etc.

The GTS version combined all these available options at a lower total price, then threw in a few cosmetic extras such as the centre lock wheels and Alcantara interior.

The way I see it, the only available option that is currently unavailable for the 992 ‘S that would essentially make it a GTS is a power boost. But, as you mentioned, with today’s turbo engines, that’s an easy work around.

I’m certain when the inevitable 992 GTS version because available it will be quite popular, and likely hold a price premium over other Carreras in the resale market due to it's perceived exclusivity.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

I love the centerlocks but the ones for the upcoming GTS look so fem I want to puke.
Interesting...where did you see this?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:08 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

OP, I think you make a good point regarding the relative "worth" of the GTS in the turbo era. The GTS line has become somewhat watered down with the 991.2 version because in the 991.1, it was the most powerful NA engine you could get short of the GT3. Now, it is a turbocharged engine but there are more powerful turbocharged engines available in the Turbo and Turbo S. The GTS is a relative "value" compared to an equally spec'd S (both in the 991.1 and 991.2), so there is that. I have not driven the turbo GTS and the Turbo back to back but from what I have read, they are different driving experiences. I have driven a Turbo S before and I was not a fan. Felt fat and the turbo lag was not insignificant. But I am biased, as I am a die hard NA guy.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:09 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Interesting...where did you see this?
Google 992 GTS. Plenty of spy shots.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:55 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Google 992 GTS. Plenty of spy shots.
https://www.motor1.com/photo/4382960...upe-spy-photo/

I like the new wheels. Looking forward to a 992 GTS MT. Hopefully GTS pak includes the sportdesign front/rear as well like the one in the spy photos.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:38 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

to increase shareholders profits either you sell more cars or you turbo fool more customers making more profit per unit sold

any other choice?
Old 11-05-2019, 04:11 PM
HKS350
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 13 Posts

GTS in the 992 version may not be worth it. The 991.2 Version was well worth it as it went from a N/A motor to a turbo motor

My Speculation:
- Centerlock wheels
- Slightly different Tail light setup - Pic's show clear center light
- Aero Changes
- 20HP bump in power
- Interior boxes checked, All Leather or Alcantara etc...

The centerlock wheels actually are a complete PITA and I wish Porsche would realize consumers have tried them and hate them. Yes, they look cool and save some weight but if you've ever had to deal with them at a track day, you just end up pissed wondering why it had to be this way.
Areo is subjective, I've always liked the GTS Aero options
The Lights will be for sale on Suncoast with in a month of the release of the GTS
Tuners will out perform the 20hp power increase very soon. I'd say by Spring 2020.
Base Leather is actually pretty good in the 992 but checking all the boxes is usually pretty awesome with Porsche.

So for a $20k premium you can get the best interior, cool aero, updated tail light's, some really horrible wheels & 20 more HP. You can't mod all of that for less. So as before it is a great value if your wanting the best of the "S" version Carrera.
The following users liked this post:
Duct Tape (12-06-2022)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I met someone at a car meet that had a base 991.2 C2 dyno'd at 600hp. Tune, bigger turbos, exhaust and other mods.

Outside of the value proposition, I think there is little performance value if you are ok with deviating from factory specs and tunning/modding your car. 992s are all wide body now too so the GTS wider body of the 991s is no longer an advantage.

Quick Reply: The value of the GTS in the turbo age