Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The value of the GTS in the turbo age

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:15 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Not sure many followed the same decision flow chart I did when deciding on my DD but the GTS was the only car that ticked:
- most powerful 911 with RWD (excluding 2RS)
- sunroof
- luxury attributes of the Carrera

GTS is the one one from the factory that ticks all 3. Yes, I could have bought a C2S and modded but I like a factory warranty on a car I pile on the miles.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.yoshi
Right I get that. I'm not asking from the value proposition perspective, that's the point of the GTS. Im asking if there's any unique performance gains that would make you consider it vs an S. Keep in mind an S with an exhuast tune is going to be damn near 600hp.
Have you driven a 991 TT/TTS?

It outdrives its numbers on paper.

And even though both the 991.2 911 and 991 TT/TTS are both FI, they drive and deliver their torque (esp. low end) very differently.

While both drive like FI cars, the TT/TTS does it in anger and with much more panache.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:52 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

As an owner of both a GTS and a GT3T, I must say that the GTS is the far more....textured....car. It has a split personality. The GT3 is a sledgehammer, a surgical instrument, an engineering marvel.... But the GTS (I have the NA PDK 991.1 variety) is in ways more fun to drive because it can be so benign in normal/auto mode but is pretty raw and nasty in sport/manual mode. It is overall the more varied car. A horse of many colors, if you will. When I get in my GT3T, I have to be on my game 24/7. It is a much more visceral and involving driving experience. As many of you know by now, my GTS is a cab which takes the driving experience to another level in terms of smell, sound, and overall atmosphere. I know you are all waiting for me to say which one I would keep if I had to give one away... The honest answer is it is totally hypothetical, it will never happen and I honestly don't know. It would be like having to decide between the children that I do not have.
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:55 AM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
As an owner of both a GTS and a GT3T, I must say that the GTS is the far more....textured....car. It has a split personality. The GT3 is a sledgehammer, a surgical instrument, an engineering marvel.... But the GTS (I have the NA PDK 991.1 variety) is in ways more fun to drive because it can be so benign in normal/auto mode but is pretty raw and nasty in sport/manual mode. It is overall the more varied car. A horse of many colors, if you will. When I get in my GT3T, I have to be on my game 24/7. It is a much more visceral and involving driving experience. As many of you know by now, my GTS is a cab which takes the driving experience to another level in terms of smell, sound, and overall atmosphere. I know you are all waiting for me to say which one I would keep if I had to give one away... The honest answer is it is totally hypothetical, it will never happen and I honestly don't know. It would be like having to decide between the children that I do not have.
What difference do you notice from the GTS cab suspension wise with the GT3T. I'm a cab guy and was curious how the lack of SPASM on the GTS cab was noticeable or not versus the tautness of the GT sports cars.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

Sexfiend - I prefer the stiffer (sport) chassis both in my GTS and Touring. The GTS with sport chassis activated is comparable to the Touring's normal (non-sport) chassis.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:29 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Have you driven a 991 TT/TTS?

It outdrives its numbers on paper.

And even though both the 991.2 911 and 991 TT/TTS are both FI, they drive and deliver their torque (esp. low end) very differently.

While both drive like FI cars, the TT/TTS does it in anger and with much more panache.
That was my experience. The violence of acceleration with a 991TT/TTS is a different experience than most "fast" cars. It feels faster/more powerful than the numbers suggest.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:30 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

i always hear people talk about tuning.. Some tuners are great and probably can do a better tune than OEM but what about exposure to
1. loss of warranty that can lead to very expensive repairs if a drive train failure happen
2. loss of value on resale if the car is flagged by factory
to me the risk out weighs the benefit .. So in this category , you want more power just get the model offered by company
My boys have tuned several turbo cars like EVO and STI with no problem but exposure there was limited financially
Old 11-07-2019, 05:25 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
i always hear people talk about tuning.. Some tuners are great and probably can do a better tune than OEM but what about exposure to
1. loss of warranty that can lead to very expensive repairs if a drive train failure happen
to me the risk out weighs the benefit .. So in this category , you want more power just get the model offered by company
My boys have tuned several turbo cars like EVO and STI with no problem but exposure there was limited financially
Depends on the tune, and depends on when you tune. Normally a good idea to wait until after warranty to be safe. That is what I’ll be doing.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
Got to pay to play
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (11-07-2019)

Quick Reply: The value of the GTS in the turbo age