Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:48 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts
Default Winter on 992

As the nastiness starts, some initial impressions:

The new Alpin 5s are really good. Feedback is decreased as expected when compared to Cup2s, but still fairly decent. Traction at the mildly low temps today was maintained.

The "4" portion of C4S remains to be tested. The car seems unaffected by cold temperatures with the proper tires. Still not that cold out, just 32F, some snow without a lot of accumulation.

More interesting is the heating. The cars warms up inside quicker than the 991.2, which was already quicker than the 991.1. Turbos, I guess. The 18 way seats warms up very quickly, major improvement from the prior model. Added benefit to be able to control the heat distribution. The steering wheel is about the same.

As the sadness of winter marches on, I'll post more snowy impressions. Gotta move where a second set of wheels is for track day slicks...
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
detansinn (10-31-2019), phefner (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

In north TX. Had 31 degrees this morning and the OEM tires (I got the Goodyears) did fine, so I'm debating a dedicated set of all seasonals or winters. Typically only a day or two of light snow, so I'm thinking the summers can pull through some 20-30 degree weeks. The 911 is nothing short of traction, 2S or 4S. Anyone with thoughts on using the summer Goodyears through the winter on a DD given north TX climate?
The following users liked this post:
soguinness (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:51 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Winter sad. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's are sad.

When temps do get above 40 deg F, MPSC2's will be GOOD!!

CAVEMAN
soguinness (11-03-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:06 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chance6
Winter sad. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's are sad.

When temps do get above 40 deg F, MPSC2's will be GOOD!!

CAVEMAN
I'll miss them dearly. I saved some rubber pearls as a memento from the track days this season. The summer wheels will get a nice cleaning followed by some ceramic coverage. Then to the basement. The winter set is also coated, let's see how they keep.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:13 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by carson2
In north TX. Had 31 degrees this morning and the OEM tires (I got the Goodyears) did fine, so I'm debating a dedicated set of all seasonals or winters. Typically only a day or two of light snow, so I'm thinking the summers can pull through some 20-30 degree weeks. The 911 is nothing short of traction, 2S or 4S. Anyone with thoughts on using the summer Goodyears through the winter on a DD given north TX climate?
Please don’t run modern Summer tires in 20-30 degree temps. They can develop cracks that you can’t see. Per the manufacturers, 40 degrees F is pretty much the minimum temp for these tires.
992carreraS (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 12:17 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
As the nastiness starts, some initial impressions:

The new Alpin 5s are really good. Feedback is decreased as expected when compared to Cup2s, but still fairly decent. Traction at the mildly low temps today was maintained.

The "4" portion of C4S remains to be tested. The car seems unaffected by cold temperatures with the proper tires. Still not that cold out, just 32F, some snow without a lot of accumulation.

More interesting is the heating. The cars warms up inside quicker than the 991.2, which was already quicker than the 991.1. Turbos, I guess. The 18 way seats warms up very quickly, major improvement from the prior model. Added benefit to be able to control the heat distribution. The steering wheel is about the same.

As the sadness of winter marches on, I'll post more snowy impressions. Gotta move where a second set of wheels is for track day slicks...
How much snow and cold do you get and is ground clearance going to be an issue?
Old 11-01-2019, 12:53 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanesso
How much snow and cold do you get and is ground clearance going to be an issue?
On my w C2, about 4-6 inches on the ground if forming piles. If you live in an area where plowing is dependable, it's not an issue. Changing lanes can be tricky as snow it piles up between them, in that case I try to be extra careful and find a gap.

I really don't envision ground clearance being an issue where I live, other places maybe. I got a nasty snowstorm last season and I managed to get home without issues. Chicagoland is quite flat with a lot of plowing and salt going on. I imagine if one drives in the countryside it can be problematic.

Also, I don't t park on the street, so that helps too. I can see this car getting snowed in, but so do others.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:50 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Today was the first drive with slush, mud and snow for this car.

The wet mode helps with a more "mature" acceleration, therefore less slipping. Changing lanes before major plowing occurs was always a minor issue with my prior 991 and 991.2, not as much with the C4S. The ground clearance was not an issue, but I did avoid major snow piles just in case.

The Alpins 5 are definitely a progress to the already outstanding 4. Braking and overall snow carving are the greatest improvements so far.
Seat heating as mentioned before is so much better. Car heats up quicker as well.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:51 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Today was the first drive with slush, mud and snow for this car.

The wet mode helps with a more "mature" acceleration, therefore less slipping. Changing lanes before major plowing occurs was always a minor issue with my prior 991 and 991.2, not as much with the C4S. The ground clearance was not an issue, but I did avoid major snow piles just in case.

The Alpins 5 are definitely a progress to the already outstanding 4. Braking and overall snow carving are the greatest improvements so far.
Seat heating as mentioned before is so much better. Car heats up quicker as well.
Sounds great— heated steering wheel a nice feature as well. You have separate rims for the snows and if so, many options available?
Old 11-11-2019, 05:41 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Had to go w/ wheels. There's a recent thread on the winter wheel/tire debacle.

Another interesting feature that is new since the 991.2, is the steering wheel heating actually "remembers" the last setting (ON/OFF). Nothing on the app describing if there's a memory related temperature switch.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:04 PM
medimpo
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Had to go w/ wheels. There's a recent thread on the winter wheel/tire debacle.

Another interesting feature that is new since the 991.2, is the steering wheel heating actually "remembers" the last setting (ON/OFF). Nothing on the app describing if there's a memory related temperature switch.
I was also surprised about this feature.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:10 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medimpo
I was also surprised about this feature.
Somehow I think it's not on purpose. Porsche doesn't do anything without taping itself on the back.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:18 PM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

Great to hear both the seats and steering wheel are quick to heat up - one of lifes little luxuries these heated touch points 😁

Quick Reply: Winter on 992