Sponsored by:

Clear Bra / PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:49 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clear Bra / PPF?

My 992 is at the port - just waiting for it to arrive at the dealer.

Thoughts on Clear Bra / PPF? I was thinking front bumper, hood, mirrors, flared fenders - but now I'm thinking entire car. I like the idea of the protection, but it feels weird to condom my car.... Plus, always concerned about yellowing.

Oh - and years ago I always heard you had to let the paint cure before doing anything like this, but the dealer is confident it can be done right away - does it all the time.

Thoughts / opinions?
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:21 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 330 Posts

I just took delivery of a heritage edition Speedster and did ceramic pro only. I tend to reserve PPF for cars that have less repairable surfaces (ie. Ferrari triple layer) or exposed carbon (ie. GT2 RS). That said, I'm not OCD about the occasional stone chip.
detansinn (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:26 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What color is your car ? Do you plan on leaving it in the sun without garage coverage for extended periods? At home or work?

I'm probably going to do the front end or partial coverage, mirrors, fender wheel arch flairs. I think it's safe to say that by the time you receive your car, it can be applied safely as long as the paint is prepared properly.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Gentian Blue Cabriolet S

Always garaged at home, outside at work - but will be a second car / but I do plan on taking to work fairly often.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:23 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I just took delivery of a heritage edition Speedster and did ceramic pro only. I tend to reserve PPF for cars that have less repairable surfaces (ie. Ferrari triple layer) or exposed carbon (ie. GT2 RS). That said, I'm not OCD about the occasional stone chip.
I do the same.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:07 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Yes

Originally Posted by vman4639
My 992 is at the port - just waiting for it to arrive at the dealer.

Thoughts on Clear Bra / PPF? I was thinking front bumper, hood, mirrors, flared fenders - but now I'm thinking entire car. I like the idea of the protection, but it feels weird to condom my car.... Plus, always concerned about yellowing.

Oh - and years ago I always heard you had to let the paint cure before doing anything like this, but the dealer is confident it can be done right away - does it all the time.

Thoughts / opinions?
We may be a little bias but we vote YES on Clear Bra / PPF. As 911 is one of the most popular models we protect globally, we can say for certain that protection from Rock Chips and Scratches is a true concern for 911 owners. The majority of the pre-cut kits we see cut for 911's are the full front end and rocker panel areas as these are the highest impact areas of the car. That said, a lot of owners do opt for full car protection. This means that the entire car will wash the same and look the same as the areas with the film will look smoother due to the PPF being self-healing.

There is also no need to worry about yellowing anymore as XPEL ULTIMATE / ULTIMATE PLUS are warrantied for 10 Years against Yellowing. Parts and Labor.

Ceramic Coatings are also a great way to seal and protect your finish, but please note that Ceramic Coatings DO NOT protect against rock chips or scratches. They are purely meant for ease of maintenance and enhanced appearance. Check out the video below from YouTuber Engineering Explained (2.3million subscribers) on Everything You Need to Know About Ceramic Coatings.

vman4639 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:24 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
We may be a little bias but we vote YES on Clear Bra / PPF. As 911 is one of the most popular models we protect globally, we can say for certain that protection from Rock Chips and Scratches is a true concern for 911 owners. The majority of the pre-cut kits we see cut for 911's are the full front end and rocker panel areas as these are the highest impact areas of the car. That said, a lot of owners do opt for full car protection. This means that the entire car will wash the same and look the same as the areas with the film will look smoother due to the PPF being self-healing.

There is also no need to worry about yellowing anymore as XPEL ULTIMATE / ULTIMATE PLUS are warrantied for 10 Years against Yellowing. Parts and Labor.

Ceramic Coatings are also a great way to seal and protect your finish, but please note that Ceramic Coatings DO NOT protect against rock chips or scratches. They are purely meant for ease of maintenance and enhanced appearance. Check out the video below from YouTuber Engineering Explained (2.3million subscribers) on Everything You Need to Know About Ceramic Coatings.
Awesome video! Thank you
XPEL (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:25 PM
JMO1805
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I opted to do a full car PPF with STEK film. My car though is flat black though and I'm OCD. Wanted to minimize swirl marks more than anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by JMO1805:
Jeahbladejeah (11-16-2019), Steve48 (11-17-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 07:02 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

I am a little old school, but I do love the nano technology in the ceramic coatings. I probably won't wrap my car, but I do love the thought you can be wax & sealant free for several years! And maybe even more in my case.. the car will be washed & covered most of it's life.. I look forward to getting the ceramic coating done + I do want to have a larger piece of PPF on the rear wheel fenders for extra protection, and see if I can get the seams tucked. Something that will look better than the patchy PPF cut that comes from the factory..
Old 10-29-2019, 07:38 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Thanks - so I read that somewhere that PPF cannot be removed after 3 years or so - is that correct? My concern would be that IF you keep a car for 10 years (I kept my last 911 for over 8) and it started to yellow, can you remove the PPF? I also read removal can be a mistake because some light damage protected by the PPF can lift paint off when removed.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:32 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default XPEL

Originally Posted by vman4639
Thanks - so I read that somewhere that PPF cannot be removed after 3 years or so - is that correct? My concern would be that IF you keep a car for 10 years (I kept my last 911 for over 8) and it started to yellow, can you remove the PPF? I also read removal can be a mistake because some light damage protected by the PPF can lift paint off when removed.

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.
vman,

It sounds like you were reading a graphic novel. PPF can absolutely be removed after 3 years. It can be removed at anytime. Modern PPF (Paint Protection Film) like XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS and STEALTH are warrantied for 10 years against yellowing, staining, delaminating, lifting, bubbling, peeling, and more. Parts and labor. As far as removing PPF and causing damage, if you have factory paint then the chances of damaging your paint are extremely slim. If your car has been repainted then it will come down to how good of a job did the painter do and how carefully you remove the PPF (ideally have an installer do this part).
The following 2 users liked this post by XPEL:
got2go (11-17-2019), vman4639 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

This is correct. I have had cars covered with Xpel and then had it removed and recovered without issue. You want an experienced person to install and remove your films. I have the Xpel Ultimate Plus with CQuartz over it on my TTS and the car looks amazing and I feel it is well protected also.
XPEL (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:09 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

PPF the entire car immediately. you won't regret it. I did this to my 458. There were two brand new GT3 in the shop awaiting the same treatment. The product is so good now a days that yellowing is not a huge issues (and you can always redo it later if needed). it helps against stone chips but more importantly no hard water marks or swirl marks on your car. it always looks like you just waxed it
The following 4 users liked this post by 3point8:
Esoteric_Detail (10-31-2019), JMO1805 (11-01-2019), vman4639 (10-30-2019), XPEL (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 08:44 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL

Engineering Explained
How much time should I expect to a lot an installer to do the entire car? One told me over night, another said a week.. which sounds more ligit?
Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
How much time should I expect to a lot an installer to do the entire car? One told me over night, another said a week.. which sounds more ligit?
I was told 2 to 3 days for just the front end, so a week seems more realistic to me. I don’t think they can do the entire car in 1 or 2 days and I’d be suspicious.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra / PPF?