Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Bose vs Burmester Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 11:09 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,503 Likes on 963 Posts

BURM all the way. btw sounds like good service on that rattle issue. Get that guy a coffee.
The following users liked this post:
NigelPlays (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 11:10 PM
chance6
Race Car

I was talking to an experienced tech at a 992 launch event and he said fixing rattles is one of the toughest things. And with the TAYCAN JOKE TURBO it will be even tougher because of the sshhhhhhh silence....ssshhhhh
NigelPlays (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 12:03 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

I will always do a Burmester as to my ears it is a considerably more satisfying sound. I would have even put it in my Touring if it had been available.. For a Grand Tourer like the 992, more of an occasion when driving and maybe my imagination but I find the car a little better acoustically (door insulation??) and the chrome grills add a beautiful touch to the door panel. When your car is resold in x years , yours has an advantage in the market and you might even get an extra thousand of your thirty five hundred back .
The following 3 users liked this post by Overdraft:
chance6 (11-02-2019), NigelPlays (10-31-2019), TennisGuy (02-08-2020)
Old 10-31-2019, 05:31 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelPlays

If anyone if near an Infiniti dealership. Try the Bose in the Q60 S. I come from that and think its better.
I had a Q60 as well and the Bose in that car is better than in my 991.2. Fortunately replacing the tweeters with those from Musicar made a big difference on the Bose 991.2 system.

I think the real comparison should be between the Bose with the upgraded tweeters and the Burmester. That's the question around value for me because the tweeters improve the Bose considerably.
NigelPlays (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:57 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes so far so good. No rattles. This guy deserves service tech of the year award.
chance6 (11-02-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 07:00 PM
LCB2
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
BURM all the way. btw sounds like good service on that rattle issue. Get that guy a coffee.
I had the same rattle on the passenger door on my car I picked up Tuesday. Porsche of Tysons Corner have already fixed. Superior service.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:52 AM
Peadsw
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

If its not been said before, Bose in 992 is so much better than the 991. For me upgrading to Burmester in a noisy sports car like 992 it's just a waste of money. But thats just my opinion. Listen to it before you decide to spend 4000 more on Burmester.
JJM1970 (04-20-2020)
Old 11-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 289 Posts

LCB2 - can you post picture of your service order Showing what was fixed?
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Peadsw
If its not been said before, Bose in 992 is so much better than the 991. For me upgrading to Burmester in a noisy sports car like 992 it's just a waste of money. But thats just my opinion. Listen to it before you decide to spend 4000 more on Burmester.
My wife hearing the Burmester system scored me two more Porsches in the garage. All in how you look at it.
992Sam (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 07:21 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 252 Posts

I finally spec'd Burmester after all these years and will never go back..its worth every penny
The following 3 users liked this post by jlee504:
992Sam (11-01-2019), chance6 (11-02-2019), TennisGuy (02-08-2020)
Old 11-02-2019, 11:03 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 747 Likes on 391 Posts

A while back, we had the opportunity to have a base, Bose, and burmester 991 in the shop.

base - if you listen to talk radio or want the sound of the engine to be your melody, this is adequate. IMHO, not an option if you enjoy music and want the audio system to enhance your driving pleasure. At all volumes, highs, mids, and lows are all mixed in together like a soup. The vocals are fighting with the strings which is battling the drums. All the instruments are fighting for your ear’s attention

bose - better than base. At lower volumes, under 30% of max, we now begin the head a bit more separation of instruments. Highs are more siting, lows can now be heard and felt, but mids are not balanced. This makes the music lack richness, purity, and depth. As you begin to increase volume, the system begins to fall apart. Around 50-60%, suddenly the lows begin to overpower the mids and highs. The speaker simply cannot handle the energy and begins distorting. Bass is no longer tight, rich, and in control. The highs become piercing loud and actually stress the ear drums. Vocals become muddy and can no longer breathe.

Burmester - a definite step up from Bose. There is a richness in the sound and through DSP, the music fills the cabin. You’re now submerses in your music. At 30%, the music sounds and feels balanced. There is slightly more distinction between instruments and you can truly hear it compared to the Bose. Your ears should be able to separate and hear the various instruments. Begin to turn volume up around 40-50%, the system stays composed compared to the Bose. Go beyond that volume, and the system begins to show signs of weakness. The instruments begin to all come together again but compared to the Bose, the sound stays somewhat composed. What changes is the clarity and purity of the music.

Musicar stage 1-3 - through a client from a previous project, we were introduced to Musicar. Early this year we began collaborating with them and learned about true audio system for the 911.

Stage 3 is the musicar flagship...around $8750. You’d want to configure your build with the base system now knowing this. The upgrade gets you a much better tweeter and mid from Dynaudio and a better driver, going from an 8” to a 9” quality Morel driver. There is now a much better dedicated 8-channel amplifier and DSP. Sound dampening is also done to the doors to prepare and support the door panel for the amount of energy exerted by the drivers.

what do you get with the upgrade...hard to tell in words, but hopefully you’ll get the idea.

this is by far one of the most accurate systems I’ve never heard. I’ve been in car audio as an enthusiast and have had many talented people install and design systems for my clients. What I enjoyed about the musicar system is how any genre of music I played, I enjoyed equally. I’m all over the place- jazz, classic rock, country, classical. Everything I played, I just wanted more, and here’s why.

when you close your eyes and listen to music, you should actually be able to see where everything is if the track is recorded well. Music isn’t 2D, as in, the musicians aren’t lined up in a straight line playing for you. You may have vocals center, drums 10’ behind the singer, keyboard 15’ to the right of singer, bass 7’ to left of singer, etc. An accurate system allows you to hear that individually. That one component was missing from ALL 3 systems from Porsche.

Another cool aspect of musicar system, at any volume, almost near 100%, the system didn’t fall apart. I simply got more of what was at 30%. So, I was listening to Journey on one occasion. Driving back from a suspension shop to my place, it was a warm and sunny Southern California day and I had driver window down. Only the young was playing and I cranked up the volume. I just wanted to hear more of Steve perry and the band....I was blown away. It was my own private concert with the wind blowing into the cabin and the beat of the drums passing through my body. Truly an experience.

so, I hope above helps, and if you’re in SoCal, I encourage you to stop in and experience this yourself before you upgrade to Bose or burmester. If you truly enjoy music and it’s of value, the choice will be clear. The nice thing about the musicar system is the footprint. NO modification to the car. This is a plug and play down to the connectors for the speakers.

Here’s one of the projects we did recently:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post15950341
The following 4 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
992Sam (11-02-2019), Mark Nuanual (02-04-2021), NigelPlays (11-02-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 11:15 AM
LCB2
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
LCB2 - can you post picture of your service order Showing what was fixed?
YoungTurk

Unfortunately a ticket was not created. I had just stopped by to drop off the title to my 991.2 and mentioned the rattle/hum. They took it it away and 30 minutes came back and it was fixed. I was told a piece of plastic inside the door was flopping against the speaker. They removed and put some insinuation in and away I went. They did tell me they had a similar problem with another Burmester build. Hope this helps.
Patriot (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 11:22 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 747 Likes on 391 Posts

Almost forgot...one of the biggest limiting factor of Bose and burmester is the tweeter. Both are so harsh to the ears IMHO. A simple and VERY effective upgrade is the Musicar stage 1 upgrade. This swaps the tweeter to the Dynaudio MD102 which is arguably one of the most accurate and smooth tweeters available. It will definitely give a brighter, smoother, and defined sound and will make all three systems improve on their dynamic range on the top end. You WILL hear the difference as we’ve done on the Bose/Burmester systems when that’s all was done

that at one upgrade alone was enough for most as a satisfying improvement...around $995
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
NigelPlays (11-02-2019), Thinc2 (11-03-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

I can vouch for what Moe is saying about the Musicar Stage 3 and 3+. My GT3T is the second in the world to have the Musicar Stage 3+ installed. I am a huge music fan and I want the absolute best listening experience, even in a car with as much cabin noise as the GT3. The Musicar Stage 3 is outstanding - I could not describe it any better than Moe. I took delivery of my car after the subwoofer (3+) installation yesterday. I was hesitant to take the plunge because the Stage 3 is THAT GOOD, even without a subwoofer. Well, I am glad I went for it. I have listened to Mozart's Symphony #21, Green Day's Brain Stew, the Grateful Dead's Ripple, Cypress Hills' Insane in the Brain - all of them sound amazing. The best way for me to describe it is "immersive." You really feel like you are in the studio with the band or in the concert hall with the orchestra and you are standing in the middle of the action.

Having taken my Touring on two lengthy road trips, I found that the cabin "noise" from the engine and exhaust was quite benign at cruising speeds on the highway (I have the stock exhast at the moment). With the music turned up between half way and 2/3, the cabin is all music and the "noise" from the car is almost imperceptible. If I want the hear the magnificent flat six, I turn down the music and hit the gas. In other words, I get the best of both worlds: The screaming 9,000 rpm 4.0 L 500 hp engine and the audiophile-quality sound system, both at once or one or the other, depending on my mood. Well done Moe at Glistening Perfection and Nick at Musicar!
Old 11-02-2019, 01:40 PM
chance6
Race Car

I would get nervous about what has to be taken apart to switch out the tweeters...I have Bose in my GT3 and I think it's improved over 991.1 vintage. Probably needs just a tad more support.

I'm a big Burmester fan- any other 911 than GT3 and I'm ticking the Burm!
992Sam (11-02-2019)

Quick Reply: 992 Bose vs Burmester Comparison