Sponsored by:

XPel on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 01:52 PM
jperlinsky
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XPel on headlights

My XPel installer won't put film on the headlights of my 992. He says they could delaminate. But Xpel has the kit available. Would others avoid this too?
Old 10-13-2019, 02:14 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,729 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Porsche has advised against PPF on the headlights. Your installer is not steering you wrong.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:35 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

IDK but 992, but previous models the owner's manual said don't film headlights. Check the owner's manual as it might have changed.

The reasoning is the headlights have coating to prevent yellowing from UV. My last car needed the headlights replaced because they started 'spider cracking' even though I never used film. I think some chemicals can trigger it to do that. What's weird is it looked like the whole plastic completely deteriorates... its not just a top layer.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:44 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 80 Posts

I just had Expel Ultimate Plus put on whole car and installer would not put on headlights.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:26 PM
MOWE
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I put it on the car. As I understand it the problem could occur when you pull it off. To me it was worth it over pitting.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:11 PM
Larry Fingers
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Xpel installer wouldn't put PPF on my headlights too.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Check out several threads in the 991 Forum. The general consensus is that if it is done properly there will not be any problems, and the better installers should agree.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:28 AM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Check out several threads in the 991 Forum. The general consensus is that if it is done properly there will not be any problems, and the better installers should agree.
This. They could delaminate without film. If you film and they do, a body shop can fix this. Replacing due to pits and chips costs far more.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:59 AM
GlasWerksDMV
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Location: 21620 Ridgetop Circle, Suite 190, Sterling VA 20166
Received 165 Likes on 57 Posts

We apply film to all Porsche headlights without any issue, We don't use Xpel as it has the most aggressive adhesives and most predominant orange peel effect. At the end of the day an 8mm thick film will protect exactly the same as another 8mil film no matter who's name is on it. anyone who tells you different is just playing into marketing hype. All the Urethane (the protective thickest layer) in PPF comes from only a few key suppliers globally. The adhesives and top coats make them different. We use STEK DynoShield as it is the most optically clear film on the market, has a self healing and permanent hydrophobic top coat and also the weakest adhesives. Many installers won't use it as it requires more skill to install as it's not as sticky as others. I agree with the above statements though. Properly installed (no adhesive promoter ever and not using Alcohol as a tack solution) you shouldn't not have any issues with any film on the lights. That being said I would just stay away from Xpel as the risk to delaminate the oleophobic top coating of the headlight increases.
GlasWerksDMV on Instagram
21620 Ridgetop circle, suite 190, Sterling VA 20166
001-571-370-8500
Monday-Friday 8am-8pm EST

Last edited by GlasWerksDMV; 10-23-2019 at 02:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GlasWerksDMV:
4seater (04-26-2022), jlert (03-19-2024)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:15 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

We've been installing ppf on headlights for years. in the right hands, it's not an issue. We highly recommend and do it on every car

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1030...-to-avoid.html
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
G650 (10-19-2019), jesper2 (10-20-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 02:48 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Here's another way of looking at it:

1. Don't apply PPF to headlights. Headlights eventually get pitted or take a rock hit = must refinish or replace headlight.
2. Apply PPF to headlights. Film eventually gets pitted or takes a a rock hit = must replace film. If film comes off, great. If headlight gets delaminated = must refinish or replaces headlight.

Either way, you're replacing a headlight in worst-case scenario.
The following 3 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
jesper2 (10-20-2019), jlert (03-19-2024), XPEL (10-23-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 10:48 AM
jesper2
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

google “Porsche headlamp delamination from PPF”. It’s an issue IF the installer removing the PPF is not experienced. Must be done slowly with lots of heat. Otherwise the UV clearcoat will be damaged. Tons of folks have added PPF with no problem. The other thing to think about is that, without PPF, you will either be refinishing or replacing the headlamps after so many years. With PPF, they will be like brand new, but you run the slight risk of delamination. So which is it: certain damage or a slight risk of damage. The delamination can be fixed by polishing/refinishing the headlamp; the same procedure you would use to fix UV and road debris damage. We did the headlamps on our 992. Actually, we did the whole car.

Originally Posted by jperlinsky
My XPel installer won't put film on the headlights of my 992. He says they could delaminate. But Xpel has the kit available. Would others avoid this too?
Old 10-20-2019, 02:39 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2

1. Don't apply PPF to headlights. Headlights eventually get pitted or take a rock hit = must refinish or replace headlight.
2. Apply PPF to headlights. Film eventually gets pitted or takes a a rock hit = must replace film. If film comes off, great. If headlight gets delaminated = must refinish or replaces headlight.

Originally Posted by jesper2
google “Porsche headlamp delamination from PPF”. It’s an issue IF the installer removing the PPF is not experienced. Must be done slowly with lots of heat. Otherwise the UV clearcoat will be damaged. Tons of folks have added PPF with no problem. The other thing to think about is that, without PPF, you will either be refinishing or replacing the headlamps after so many years. With PPF, they will be like brand new, but you run the slight risk of delamination. So which is it: certain damage or a slight risk of damage. The delamination can be fixed by polishing/refinishing the headlamp; the same procedure you would use to fix UV and road debris damage. We did the headlamps on our 992. Actually, we did the whole car.
+1...very well-said
Old 10-23-2019, 02:04 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default XPEL

Our official answer is that XPEL and Porsche do not recommend applying PPF to Porsche headlights.

As others have said though, install at your own risk if the benefit of protection outweighs the possibility of delamination.

Originally Posted by FourT6and2

Originally Posted by jesper2
To clear up another item on this thread, not all PPF's are created equal and most films are 8mil thick not mm as mil and millimeter are completely different units of measurement.

The following users liked this post:
GlasWerksDMV (10-23-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 11:20 PM
drew935
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen an improper ppf install on my client's 991 headlight. It looks bad and the installer did not take a hit for it. Bad business.
Anyway, I would rather take the delamination instead of replacing $2500/ headlight. Refinish them and recoat or refilm them.
I know that every ppf installer has different skills, so it really depends on them and not the headlights. It may or may not delaminate with install or removal.

Last edited by drew935; 10-26-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: XPel on headlights