Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   XPel on headlights (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1165244-xpel-on-headlights.html)

jperlinsky 10-13-2019 01:52 PM

XPel on headlights

My XPel installer won't put film on the headlights of my 992. He says they could delaminate. But Xpel has the kit available. Would others avoid this too?

detansinn 10-13-2019 02:14 PM

Porsche has advised against PPF on the headlights. Your installer is not steering you wrong.

minthral 10-13-2019 02:35 PM

IDK but 992, but previous models the owner's manual said don't film headlights. Check the owner's manual as it might have changed.

The reasoning is the headlights have coating to prevent yellowing from UV. My last car needed the headlights replaced because they started 'spider cracking' even though I never used film. I think some chemicals can trigger it to do that. What's weird is it looked like the whole plastic completely deteriorates... its not just a top layer.

pelucidor 10-13-2019 07:44 PM

I just had Expel Ultimate Plus put on whole car and installer would not put on headlights.

MOWE 10-13-2019 09:26 PM

I put it on the car. As I understand it the problem could occur when you pull it off. To me it was worth it over pitting.

Larry Fingers 10-14-2019 11:11 PM

My Xpel installer wouldn't put PPF on my headlights too.

Bob Z. 10-14-2019 11:31 PM

Check out several threads in the 991 Forum. The general consensus is that if it is done properly there will not be any problems, and the better installers should agree.

kage65 10-15-2019 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 16168314)
Check out several threads in the 991 Forum. The general consensus is that if it is done properly there will not be any problems, and the better installers should agree.

This. They could delaminate without film. If you film and they do, a body shop can fix this. Replacing due to pits and chips costs far more.

GlasWerksDMV 10-15-2019 10:59 AM

We apply film to all Porsche headlights without any issue, We don't use Xpel as it has the most aggressive adhesives and most predominant orange peel effect. At the end of the day an 8mm thick film will protect exactly the same as another 8mil film no matter who's name is on it. anyone who tells you different is just playing into marketing hype. All the Urethane (the protective thickest layer) in PPF comes from only a few key suppliers globally. The adhesives and top coats make them different. We use STEK DynoShield as it is the most optically clear film on the market, has a self healing and permanent hydrophobic top coat and also the weakest adhesives. Many installers won't use it as it requires more skill to install as it's not as sticky as others. I agree with the above statements though. Properly installed (no adhesive promoter ever and not using Alcohol as a tack solution) you shouldn't not have any issues with any film on the lights. That being said I would just stay away from Xpel as the risk to delaminate the oleophobic top coating of the headlight increases.

MoeMistry 10-18-2019 10:15 AM

We've been installing ppf on headlights for years. in the right hands, it's not an issue. We highly recommend and do it on every car

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1030...-to-avoid.html

FourT6and2 10-19-2019 02:48 PM

Here's another way of looking at it:

1. Don't apply PPF to headlights. Headlights eventually get pitted or take a rock hit = must refinish or replace headlight.
2. Apply PPF to headlights. Film eventually gets pitted or takes a a rock hit = must replace film. If film comes off, great. If headlight gets delaminated = must refinish or replaces headlight.

Either way, you're replacing a headlight in worst-case scenario.

jesper2 10-20-2019 10:48 AM

google “Porsche headlamp delamination from PPF”. It’s an issue IF the installer removing the PPF is not experienced. Must be done slowly with lots of heat. Otherwise the UV clearcoat will be damaged. Tons of folks have added PPF with no problem. The other thing to think about is that, without PPF, you will either be refinishing or replacing the headlamps after so many years. With PPF, they will be like brand new, but you run the slight risk of delamination. So which is it: certain damage or a slight risk of damage. The delamination can be fixed by polishing/refinishing the headlamp; the same procedure you would use to fix UV and road debris damage. We did the headlamps on our 992. Actually, we did the whole car.

Originally Posted by jperlinsky (Post 16165314)
My XPel installer won't put film on the headlights of my 992. He says they could delaminate. But Xpel has the kit available. Would others avoid this too?

MoeMistry 10-20-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 16177383)

1. Don't apply PPF to headlights. Headlights eventually get pitted or take a rock hit = must refinish or replace headlight.
2. Apply PPF to headlights. Film eventually gets pitted or takes a a rock hit = must replace film. If film comes off, great. If headlight gets delaminated = must refinish or replaces headlight.

Originally Posted by jesper2 (Post 16178489)
google “Porsche headlamp delamination from PPF”. It’s an issue IF the installer removing the PPF is not experienced. Must be done slowly with lots of heat. Otherwise the UV clearcoat will be damaged. Tons of folks have added PPF with no problem. The other thing to think about is that, without PPF, you will either be refinishing or replacing the headlamps after so many years. With PPF, they will be like brand new, but you run the slight risk of delamination. So which is it: certain damage or a slight risk of damage. The delamination can be fixed by polishing/refinishing the headlamp; the same procedure you would use to fix UV and road debris damage. We did the headlamps on our 992. Actually, we did the whole car.

+1...very well-said

XPEL 10-23-2019 02:04 PM

XPEL

Our official answer is that XPEL and Porsche do not recommend applying PPF to Porsche headlights.

As others have said though, install at your own risk if the benefit of protection outweighs the possibility of delamination.

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 16177383)

Originally Posted by jesper2 (Post 16178489)

To clear up another item on this thread, not all PPF's are created equal and most films are 8mil thick not mm as mil and millimeter are completely different units of measurement.

drew935 10-25-2019 11:20 PM

I have seen an improper ppf install on my client's 991 headlight. It looks bad and the installer did not take a hit for it. Bad business.
Anyway, I would rather take the delamination instead of replacing $2500/ headlight. Refinish them and recoat or refilm them.
I know that every ppf installer has different skills, so it really depends on them and not the headlights. It may or may not delaminate with install or removal.