Sponsored by:

992 C4S vs C2S in Warm Climates

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 02:53 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
If you're referring to 992 C4s, then I have to agree. That's why I'm searching for 991.2 C2s...they're quite a bit lighter. And yes, I'm also searching for manual sport plus seats. It's going to take a while to find my car...
why not just get a GT3? Since you're looking for weight/performance over luxury? Go 100% or go home..
Old 10-11-2019, 03:42 PM
The911er
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The911er
At least posters focused on track performance which is what you said you wanted
Old 10-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Obviously your concern is more with driving in poor conditions ( heavy rain ) so I would go with the 4S
Old 10-11-2019, 09:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Look, I’m sorry but you just don’t need AWD because of water. You just don’t. Millions of cars drive around countries all over the world every day where it rains, it pours, it literally buckets down. All throughout Asia, Europe, yes of course even in North America.

Snow and ice different story but even then a 2WD car in decent winter rubber is generally perfectly fine. Seriously, if you’re worried about traction when it rains be more worried about the other guy with his 10 year old Camry on 30,000 mile old rubber.
The following 4 users liked this post by aggie57:
carson2 (10-12-2019), rouxeny (09-15-2020), Sebvelez (10-12-2019), TimD (11-19-2020)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:42 AM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Just to level set here, we're talking a weight penalty of ~100lbs for AWD on a 911 that delivers improved traction
Just wrong thinking... you don't start with a C2/S RWD and have a 'problem' with not enough traction (if anything purist type people will say the post ~997 gen 991s have too much traction to be 'fun'). It's not MORE traction the C4/S adds, but a different kind of traction. Better in ice/snow, worse in other conditions in terms of having a satisfying driving experience. And to the person who said a C4/S is better in rain due to less hydroplaning...that is delusional at best - only way to minimize hydroplane effects are reduced speed, better tread depth, and more all-season tread pattern (but that is a decrement to non-wet handling). Just relating back to the OP - 'which is best for warm climates' - its a no-brainer, get the C2/S.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:44 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Just to level set here, we're talking a weight penalty of ~100lbs for AWD on a 911 that delivers improved traction performance in all conditions. RWS adds weight as well. Both add to the experience and elevate performance.

If you're obsessed about weight, the 911 is not the car for you. For example, the 14 way and 18 way adjustable seats add weight greater than the AWD and RWS combined. It doesn't stop there -- those full leather interiors are heavier than the plastic ones as well. Don't get me started on sunroofs. LOL
Weight is tangential to the conversation here. It doesn't matter if the C2S is 5lbs or 500lbs heavier than the C4S - what matters is that some people on this thread stated that the C4S is faster than the C2S in every scenario and the evidence on dry tracks indicates the exact opposite with the C2S being quicker (according to Porsche and others).

Personally I don't care about small differences in weight or track performance - I just want some fun. And having driven in blizzard conditions at -20F temps through Canada and the NE USA and through monsoons in Asia I think the correct tires and a modicum of sense matter a lot more than 2S vs 4S (until you get stuck ).
Old 10-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

I have a 4S in Atlanta because I'm done with wheel hop or slipping tires when trying to pull out into traffic. I live within the city limits so broken pavement, loose gravel and metal plates are the norm when trying to accelerate while turning onto a road. The worst is trying to hit a gap, the wheels don't catch perfectly and then the engine bogs for a second. Insert you favorite expletive as cars are bearing down on you. Don't care about track times, wet/cold performance, or car weight. I just want real world traction and AWD delivers that.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jay-S:
992Sam (10-13-2019), detansinn (10-12-2019), PopPorscheCherry (10-12-2019), The911er (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 11:17 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I have a 4S in Atlanta because I'm done with wheel hop or slipping tires when trying to pull out into traffic.
Isn't it great that after 50 years of 911 development, now we have AWD versions that can accelerate fast enough to pull into traffic? Progress!
Old 10-13-2019, 12:12 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Without the 959, there would be no AWD 911s.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
992Sam (10-13-2019), Jay-S (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carson2
Isn't it great that after 50 years of 911 development, now we have AWD versions that can accelerate fast enough to pull into traffic? Progress!
Indeed, Porsche makes a 911 for everyone...including bad drivers like me who are too impatient to wait for a safe gap.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:32 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I have a 4S in Atlanta because I'm done with wheel hop or slipping tires when trying to pull out into traffic. I live within the city limits so broken pavement, loose gravel and metal plates are the norm when trying to accelerate while turning onto a road. The worst is trying to hit a gap, the wheels don't catch perfectly and then the engine bogs for a second. Insert you favorite expletive as cars are bearing down on you. Don't care about track times, wet/cold performance, or car weight. I just want real world traction and AWD delivers that.
Digging this one up, as it's a comment I think about occasionally as I wring my hands over whether to pursue an C2S or a C4S allocation.

C2S owners: There are are many thousands of miles driven amongst you, and with those miles a wealth of anecdotal evidence concerning the C2S's ability to pull out into traffic amongst the dilapidated roadways of our urban centers, with all the uneven pavement, loose gravel and metal plating they can throw at you. Are you having any problems pulling out into traffic in your C2S? Are your tires slipping? Are your wheels hopping?

Truth be told, drivability in a large city with crappy roads is probably one of the most important things to me in my decision of which car to purchase. I live in a reasonably hilly city with roads in a near-constant state of disrepair. If you too live in such a place, and you have been able to get by ok in your C2S without fishtailing through your city's financial district like a bat out of hell, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:42 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

No input, but a very interesting perspective and one to which I've never given any thought. I will be curious to hear responses :-)
The following users liked this post:
Marantz2270 (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 05:59 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
Digging this one up, as it's a comment I think about occasionally as I wring my hands over whether to pursue an C2S or a C4S allocation.

C2S owners: There are are many thousands of miles driven amongst you, and with those miles a wealth of anecdotal evidence concerning the C2S's ability to pull out into traffic amongst the dilapidated roadways of our urban centers, with all the uneven pavement, loose gravel and metal plating they can throw at you. Are you having any problems pulling out into traffic in your C2S? Are your tires slipping? Are your wheels hopping?

Truth be told, drivability in a large city with crappy roads is probably one of the most important things to me in my decision of which car to purchase. I live in a reasonably hilly city with roads in a near-constant state of disrepair. If you too live in such a place, and you have been able to get by ok in your C2S without fishtailing through your city's financial district like a bat out of hell, I'd love to hear about it.
This 992 is the first C4S (or AWD porsche I have had in all the years I have had a 911). Honestly in warm climates, I would opt for a non-4. I got this one only due to wanting to be my DD and I am in southern ohio, so get a little snow and some cold weather. Will be nice to have here for that purpose so I can drive it year round.

I have been pleased with everything about my C4S - but - If you watch the AWD console in the PCM, which I usually have it up. There has only been 1 time in my 6 months ownership that I have seen it actually not be rear wheel (meaning that any power shifted to the front wheels). That was during a huge rain storm, and there was deep water on the road.

Honestly if this wasn't my DD, I would go with the C2S. The C4S will give more security with winter tires in the snow, and that is why I bought it. For wet, with the new wet mode - that dampens the torque and revs (even with Manual Tranny that I have). It would be more than enough to handle wet, etc. Even snow with the correct tires.

My 991 GTS - I could get the tires to move out with ease, as well as did experience tire hop on occasion, but you can also avoid it if you choose. Even it was fine. (I did not DD it, nor try to drive it in the snow)

The Turbo and Turbo S - with that much HP and Torque, it is nice to have for that reason alone. Keep drivers from killing themselves :-) The C4S and CS are not overpowered, and very controllable with and without AWD.
The following 3 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
Marantz2270 (09-14-2020), Pad Bender (09-14-2020), russbert (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 06:18 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270

I drive around D.C. a lot and have no issues with rear wheel drive. I have an AWD for bad conditions, but have driven the 991.2 C2 in snow with snow tires and it was quite good.

Quick Reply: 992 C4S vs C2S in Warm Climates