Sponsored by:

992 C4S vs C2S in Warm Climates

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I'm a 991.2 C2 owner in Seattle. It's a DD, year round. We don't get a lot of snow, but some. Very hilly around here. I run all season tires.

On the few days it snows, I stay home or drive a different car. if i had AWD, I'd probably still drive the other car... Other than that, I don't think i lose anything by not having AWD. The power in this car is more than I need on the street, but it's never over powering. It's very manageable. You won't break the tires free unless you consciously decide to do so.

I don't think you gain much through AWD (assuming you have the right tires for the conditions), but nor do you lose much either. I happen to like the purity of RWD, but it's really a question of fractions - a bit more expensive, a bit heavier, a bit more traction and acceleration in certain conditions. All pretty small increments.
Thank you for providing your insights, very helpful. You live in a rainier environment with a much more legit winter than I do (I’m sure folks up north would chuckle at what a southern resident like myself considers a “winter,” but I digress). Gives me confidence that an 2S will be quite usable as a daily if I’d like.
The following users liked this post:
Thinc2 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:10 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
GT lineup is composed of homologation cars, yes? I think that accounts for the fact all GT cars are RWD.
Correct. When Porsche doesn't have to deal with homologation requirements, all of its top tier performance cars are AWD.
959, 918, 919, and even the Turbo cars were/are all AWD.

Carrera GT is the odd one out given it's design history and originally being a racecar with homologation requirements.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:00 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 557 Posts

I have both types of 911s as far as drivetrains and the all wheel drive is stellar in all conditions....always feel planted and acceleration in any condition is fantastic as far as traction....with winter wheels and snow below spoiler level it handles as wheel as a keep with a 50 pound sack of sand in the front trunk.... I have used snows on rear wheel and also good but all wheel with snows is the way to go...
The following 2 users liked this post by abiazis:
AlexCeres (09-19-2020), detansinn (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:41 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Ok, upcoming 992 C4S owner here. Current F10 M5 has winters put on in November, off again in March. Ran it once on a Scotland trip from London, on the way back it went from ice to 4 inches of snow. It went up steep snowy roads with ease, never missed a beat, then ran 700 miles on -4C roads all the way home.

so what makes the difference? 4wd or tyres? I can tell you, having 20’yrs ago had an Impreza 2000 turbo, sticky summer tyres do **** below freezing, any car with RWD on winters will do just fine, 4wd on summers below freezing... no chance.

so forgetting the weather, what’s better, what’s more purist, what should you get?

At £120k, you get what you want! Will Joe public notice the difference? No, I’m that person, the car is so smart, I can’t tell.

I’ve had RWD for 15 years of M cars, time for a change. Looking at the 992 residuals, if I don’t like it, after a year I can spec a 992 S and not lose much on the old car.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrmichaelsankey:
AlexCeres (09-19-2020), Russian Mafia (11-19-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 08:54 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Just watched this footage of a 992 mule in a wet handling demo. Which car is it...a C2S or a C4S? I really have no idea, but the drifting looks so controlled I'm inclined to believe it's a C4S.

Spoiler

Last edited by Marantz2270; 09-17-2020 at 08:56 PM.
AlexCeres (09-19-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 08:53 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

we live in S. FL also. we have a new C2S cab, and faced the same decision. owing to being a car nut & a race car driver (of a mid engine race car) i find the 2wd version more nimble and rotation-friendly. it simply feels better. i have had 2 4wd porsche's too. our decision was therefore to go with the 2. hope that helps
Old 09-18-2020, 06:23 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Car and Driver just reviewed a manual C4S. Interesting point on the niche combo of manual and AWD.

Drivers that buy a 911 like this one are presumably sports-car purists, since they're choosing the seven-speed manual transmission over Porsche's very good, very quick, and more popular PDK eight-speed dual-clutch automatic. But they're not so principled that they pick the rear-wheel-drive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
Old 09-19-2020, 01:33 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Just an extra data point: Before ordering the 992 about 20 months ago I test drove many 991.2 C2S and C4S models - on nice dry dry roads and normal driving I couldn't really tell the difference so went with the cheaper option for my 992. My C2S is a daily driver and I live in rural PA with awful roads and (used to) drive into Manhattan once a week which has terrible roads. I have never noticed any issues pulling into traffic etc. Also back in Nov I put winter tires on the C2S and in Dec did a 200 mile round trip to NY in blizzard conditions (-20C, could not see blacktop on I78) just to see how the 992 would cope. It did fine although I was driving carefully - in fact it was probably better than our two AWD vehicles on all-season tires. I'm sure the C4S on winter tires would have been much better in the blizzard, but the C2S was good enough.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:39 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
Just an extra data point: Before ordering the 992 about 20 months ago I test drove many 991.2 C2S and C4S models - on nice dry dry roads and normal driving I couldn't really tell the difference so went with the cheaper option for my 992. My C2S is a daily driver and I live in rural PA with awful roads and (used to) drive into Manhattan once a week which has terrible roads. I have never noticed any issues pulling into traffic etc. Also back in Nov I put winter tires on the C2S and in Dec did a 200 mile round trip to NY in blizzard conditions (-20C, could not see blacktop on I78) just to see how the 992 would cope. It did fine although I was driving carefully - in fact it was probably better than our two AWD vehicles on all-season tires. I'm sure the C4S on winter tires would have been much better in the blizzard, but the C2S was good enough.
As you rightly note, proper tires make a greater difference than the type of drivetrain (AWD v. RWD) for inclement weather.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 09-19-2020 at 01:41 AM.
AlexCeres (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 02:19 AM
exponential
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rear wheel drive is better feel and more fun. Is that what sport cars made for?
Old 09-19-2020, 05:02 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by exponential
Rear wheel drive is better feel and more fun. Is that what sport cars made for?
That and keeping it off the top.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:30 AM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm here at this point as well...trying to decide between the two. I had a 991.2 C2 and when I did launch control, the car struggled to get grip almost every time. On dry pavement, it sounded like the rear wheels were going to tear the rear out trying to get grip. I think this drastically reduced the 0-60 time. For those with a C4S, do you regret your decision? Granted I don't do launch control a ton, but I definitely do it more than drifting around a corner. Just looking for pros and cons of c2s vs c4s. Unfortunately, there are few opportunities to drive a 992 in my area so I need to go mostly on owner reviews. Thanks for your time and advice!
Old 11-19-2020, 12:45 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

C4S prevents the Larger Fuel Tank option. It adds a good bit of hardware of course. The later resulting in more weight and more things that might need work if something goes wrong in addition to occupying space that makes working on anything in the area more of a challenge to the technician.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:32 PM
TMA
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by clemsondds
I'm here at this point as well...trying to decide between the two. I had a 991.2 C2 and when I did launch control, the car struggled to get grip almost every time. On dry pavement, it sounded like the rear wheels were going to tear the rear out trying to get grip. I think this drastically reduced the 0-60 time. For those with a C4S, do you regret your decision? Granted I don't do launch control a ton, but I definitely do it more than drifting around a corner. Just looking for pros and cons of c2s vs c4s. Unfortunately, there are few opportunities to drive a 992 in my area so I need to go mostly on owner reviews. Thanks for your time and advice!
After initiating this thread to help me decide, I ended up getting the C2S. 3 reasons:

1/ the 2S felt amazing, nimble, light and more organic than the 4S which felt like the front and back were constantly arguing about who wore the pants in the relationship. Something about the tech doesn't work for me. I've had a 997.2 4S and it also felt wrong. My 993 4S feels awesome and really well balanced ... so for me, it's something about the tech on the newer cars that doesn't feel right.

2/ where I live, it's warm and rarely rains and never snows so there's not much use for it

3/ the price difference allows you to choose from a bunch of cool options that you'd probably enjoy more like more leather, alcantara, SPASM, Burmester etc

To each his or her own... many will disagree with my opinion. Try to get out to another town/city where you can try them both.

TA
SBAD (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 02:10 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

I live in Sarasota. There is a great left hand turn that when I hit the red light in the front spot, I really get to goose it around the corner. I had an Audi TT a few years ago that I could never get to break loose around that corner. My 991.2 would at extreme forces, but the TT never did. The other place I noticed an advantage to the AWD was in or after heavy rain. I never ever hydroplaned with the TT but did with the 991.2. The TT would go full blast thru anything and never break loose or feel like I was about to lose it -- actually felt pretty cocky about the stuck-down nature of the TT. I always thought (and I know nothing about cars) that there was at least one wheel touching the ground.

All that being said, I have a 992C2 on the way and went with it because I wanted the extended fuel tank. Dumb reason, but it's all mine.

Good luck.

Last edited by dribar; 11-19-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 C4S vs C2S in Warm Climates