Sponsored by:

Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 09:55 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

HomeLink doesn't work with my fancy secure garage door opener. So, I can only dream about having your GPS issue. LOL
I can now have the door handle pop open with repeatability when I touch the bottom front of the handle. It's about as finicky as McLaren MP4-12C, but hey, flaws give a car character.

I would like to note that the handle has only presented itself "automatically", ie. without touch, once in my past 3 days of ownership. If it's supposed to do that by design, it's not an impressive first effort. :P With that, I'm just going to go under the presumption that it is supposed to work the way that it does and stick with my now reliable touch method. As someone who has also owned Italian cars and motorcycles, none of this phases me. hahaha

The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (12-15-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Owners manual screenshot below. Nottoworry is correct. To unlock door with comfort access you have to “grasp into the handle recess of the door”. So it seems it’s designed to work by touching it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sebvelez:
992carreraS (12-16-2019), detansinn (10-07-2019), jkautz (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 02:32 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebvelez
Owners manual screenshot below. Nottoworry is correct. To unlock door with comfort access you have to “grasp into the handle recess of the door”. So it seems it’s designed to work by touching it.

detansinn (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 AM
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 95 Posts

“grasp into the handle recess of the door....”- cars made 100 yrs ago had the same technology- “grab the handle and pull the door open.” And I paid extra for this feature.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2020:
aggie57 (10-07-2019), detansinn (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:42 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020
“grasp into the handle recess of the door....”- cars made 100 yrs ago had the same technology- “grab the handle and pull the door open.” And I paid extra for this feature.

100 years ago car doors didn't have locks. This feature allows you to keep the key in your pocket, pull on the door handle and enter the car. If the handle doesn't pop out when you walk up to the car, maybe something is wrong with it? The tester I drove on Friday worked as advertised.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
100 years ago car doors didn't have locks. This feature allows you to keep the key in your pocket, pull on the door handle and enter the car. If the handle doesn't pop out when you walk up to the car, maybe something is wrong with it? The tester I drove on Friday worked as advertised.
Lol. My cars 40 years ago had locks but I didn't need to bother with them. Our world has changed .
TurboS_GG (10-07-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Duckman_GTS
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Same issues here plus a couple more. I'm very careful not to let my thumb touch the outside part of the handle but it doesn't matter. It still does it and it's sporadic. You stand there looking like a fool and have to pull out your fob and unlock it. Every car I've owned in the last 10 years or so has had this option and they all worked flawlessly, from VW to Mazda to whatever else. My center display changes colors occasionally, it's always a weird color like lime green, magenta or some other psychedelic color. I have a rattle in the dash somewhere. Tomorrow I take it in to have the forward door speakers replaced and I'm not so sure that will fix the low frequency vibration/distortion issue I have. Not so impressed with the number of issues I've had in under a month that I've had this thing. I should have known better than to buy a first gen Porsche.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:07 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Duckman_GTS
Same issues here plus a couple more. I'm very careful not to let my thumb touch the outside part of the handle but it doesn't matter. It still does it and it's sporadic. You stand there looking like a fool and have to pull out your fob and unlock it. Every car I've owned in the last 10 years or so has had this option and they all worked flawlessly, from VW to Mazda to whatever else. My center display changes colors occasionally, it's always a weird color like lime green, magenta or some other psychedelic color. I have a rattle in the dash somewhere. Tomorrow I take it in to have the forward door speakers replaced and I'm not so sure that will fix the low frequency vibration/distortion issue I have. Not so impressed with the number of issues I've had in under a month that I've had this thing. I should have known better than to buy a first gen Porsche.
Which audio system?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:14 PM
trichef1
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
Which audio system?
I have the same issue with my front drivers side speaker. It’s getting replaced this week and hopefully they’ll get rid of the rattle in my drivers side door at the same time as they have to remove the door panel to replace the speaker. I have the Bose sound system
Old 12-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Duckman_GTS
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mathus7
Which audio system?

Bose, same as trichef1

Old 12-17-2019, 02:49 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.yoshi
Makes me wonder what kind of issues the Taycan will have. The Germans have never been great at software.
It's not "Germans". It's Porsche. BMW has hands down the best in-car electronics, including infotainment, of any of the established auto companies. Tesla may be better, I don't own one yet.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:32 PM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
It's not "Germans". It's Porsche. BMW has hands down the best in-car electronics, including infotainment, of any of the established auto companies. Tesla may be better, I don't own one yet.
Agreed. I'm moving from BMW to a 992 and I'm starting to get worried about what my experience will be like with the electronics/ICE. iDrive is flawless. It sounds like the 992 shares more in common with VW in terms of electronics. Every VW I have owned has had issues with software.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:39 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moomin
Agreed. I'm moving from BMW to a 992 and I'm starting to get worried about what my experience will be like with the electronics/ICE. iDrive is flawless. It sounds like the 992 shares more in common with VW in terms of electronics. Every VW I have owned has had issues with software.
That would make sense since Porsche is under VAG. I wouldn't be worried per se; if my 991.2 is any indication of 992 experience, it's fine. It's not as refined and reliable as BMW's system, but it works fine 99% of the time. It's just not (nearly) as well thought out UI/UX as the recent BMW stuff (~2014+). They also charge some few hundreds per year for the Porsche Connect app, which is annoying, especially since the app is garbage compared to BMW's.

EDIT: I should add, this stuff is just not what Porsche ownership is about. My car is amazing in all the ways that matter. It's my first P car, and will not be my last.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:20 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
my 2017 540xi has had multiple issues with blue tooth, Apple Car Play and most recently audio went out for a week randomly... almost 3 years into owning it, I am surprised they haven't done a single software update to the car either...
Old 12-17-2019, 04:22 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992Sam
my 2017 540xi has had multiple issues with blue tooth, Apple Car Play and most recently audio went out for a week randomly... almost 3 years into owning it, I am surprised they haven't done a single software update to the car either...
Interesting. I had a 17 540xi and had zero issues w any of the tech. You can probably ask them to update the software next time you take it in, but you will need to cite your specific issues. AFAIK, they avoid doing software updates unless the customer has specific issues, as any software update can bring its own set of issues.

Quick Reply: Frustrated