Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 11:46 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by drgav2005
Hi Siberian,

I would would have driven it even more this winter if it hadn’t been for our lockdown. It was typical we had more snow here in Scotland than we have had for years and I wasn’t able to fully test out my Alpin 5s! Must admit when I did drive on the snow with them I was mighty impressed.
Had the pleasure of being on a dog sled Safari once in Whistler - absolutely awesome!!!🐾🐾🤩 I’m not sure I could even get my 3 cocker spaniels running in a straight line 🤣
Sending greetings from Scotland for a great weekend👍
My standard winter tires have always been Nokian. I do know the GM for Nokian in Finland and contacted him about tires for the 992, alas, he said they don't offer anything. Thus after reading most posts about winter tires, I settled on the Michelin Alpin 5 as well and thus am looking forward to testing them though it will be late in the season. I ordered some OZ Leggera rims to go with in the 20/21 set-up. Way too large IMHO but the jury is still out on whether a square vs staggered set up works. In any case the kit with TPMS' arrived about a week ago and I hope the car will be here in another 2 to 3 weeks. The wait is, how shall we say, "challenging".

The spaniels will indeed be a challenge pulling a sled but at least they're not Corgies...as they say there are two kinds of dogs, siberian huskies and those that wished they were

Cheers from 65 North

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-26-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:57 AM
TRIPLEBLK1
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

A bag full of goodies for the forthcoming 992 Carrera S
Old 03-26-2021, 12:17 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by LASDSGT770
Received our Key Cases today...His & Hers...They are beautiful...Italian Vegetable Tanned Leather sewn with Linen thread.Well worth the six week wait. Perfectly match the Colors of our Ride...
I love your garage flooring (all of it - texture, design, colors) -- What is it?
The following users liked this post:
jesm (03-29-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 12:19 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
My standard winter tires have always been Nokian. I do know the GM for Nokian in Finland and contacted him about tires for the 992, alas, he said they don't offer anything. Thus after reading most posts about winter tires, I settled on the Michelin Alpin 5 as well and thus am looking forward to testing them though it will be late in the season. I ordered some OZ Leggera rims to go with in the 20/21 set-up. Way too large IMHO but the jury is still out on whether a square vs staggered set up works. In any case the kit with TPMS' arrived about a week ago and I hope the car will be here in another 2 to 3 weeks. The wait is, how shall we say, "challenging".

The spaniels will indeed be a challenge pulling a sled but at least they're not Corgies...as they say there are two kinds of dogs, siberian huskies and those that wished they were

Cheers from 65 North

siberian
Interested in your thoughts after putting the Alpins to the test. I’ve been a loyal Nokian fan for years but the reality is other brands may have caught up as to the moving from aggressive tread to less aggressive but stickier and better handling/lower noise. I’ve had the Alpins on the Cayenne this winter and while I can’t really compare them as I’ve had no other snow tire on that vehicle, they’re fantastic handling wise, excellent on/in everything but deep snow where they’re passable, similar to how I found the Nokians. If the Alpins do for a 992 what they do for a Cayenne, I’m going to get a set-up for next winter.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:40 PM
drgav2005
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Cheers from 65 North

siberian
I think (hope) you will be impressed by the Alpins. I’ve never had a chance to try the Nokians but know they get great reviews from our Scandinavian friends. I stayed with the staggered 20/21 set up on the original RS spyder alloys and matched the summer tyre sizes exactly with NA5 variants.

The OZ legerra alloys will look great. I can imagine the last couple of weeks prior to delivery are dragging - please post photos when it arrives!

I laughed out loud at your ‘two types of dog’ 😂
Rgwirtz (09-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2021, 05:33 PM
malibuboy
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Black rubber floor mats and a set of Blackmills.

I am so ready for it.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:00 PM
LASDSGT770
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 193 Posts
www.swisstrax.com

Last edited by LASDSGT770; 03-26-2021 at 08:07 PM.
passat774 (01-30-2022)
Old 03-26-2021, 08:06 PM
LASDSGT770
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Those look very nice. Wow...Impressive. How did you source them and how long did they take to make?
www.vfleather.com

Handmade...Six Weeks for Delivery.
mdrobc1213 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 07:40 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

I received my Moroso pressure gauge today. Check out the 4” dial and the foam lined case. It’s genuine foam. Made in the same country as our 992-s.

The following 2 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
gcurnew (03-28-2021), Guzzgreg (02-09-2022)
Old 03-27-2021, 08:31 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Interested in your thoughts after putting the Alpins to the test. I’ve been a loyal Nokian fan for years but the reality is other brands may have caught up as to the moving from aggressive tread to less aggressive but stickier and better handling/lower noise. I’ve had the Alpins on the Cayenne this winter and while I can’t really compare them as I’ve had no other snow tire on that vehicle, they’re fantastic handling wise, excellent on/in everything but deep snow where they’re passable, similar to how I found the Nokians. If the Alpins do for a 992 what they do for a Cayenne, I’m going to get a set-up for next winter.
It will be late in the season as I expect the car to get here in 2 to 3 weeks - but heck it's been snowing for the past 4 days as the saying goes "welcome to Alaska and have a nice day"., but I'm looking forward to them. I've always, as I mentioned had studded Nokian. The WRG series were great but then Nokian changed compound to a more "green" and different tread pattern with the WRG2 and then they ended up being much worse than the Blizzaks which are the standard tire here. The Hakka 8s on the RS5 are great and allow (given I live on top of a "mountain") to do some memory "rally" that I used to do with the 911T in Europe 40 years ago. The Hakka 9 studded are on the Macan on 19" and they're superb especially in ice and snow. Deep snow, I tend to agree the wheel wells especially in the RS5 are just caked with snow from tire to wheel wall. The only other tire I've tested up here was a set of Vreds on an Audi RS7 for a customer while test driving for VDub/Audi/Bentley. They are definitely not a deep winter tire and I found them awful on the 400 mile test drive by IIRC -43F. Very poor handling and lack of adhesion. I didn't have any digital tools (with the data loggers - or at least none that I was informed of) to measure tire temp etc. but I certainly wouldn't want them on my car.

@drgav2005 "I laughed out loud at your ‘two types of dog’ 😂" I've got more of those ;-)

Thank you again for your comments and I'll feed back when I get some miles into them - about 400 initial miles from Anchorage to Moose Mtn.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-28-2021 at 02:18 AM.
Russian Mafia (03-27-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 10:48 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

It will be late in the season as I expect the car to get here in 2 to 3 weeks - but heck it's been snowing for the past 4 days as the saying goes "welcome to Alaska and have a nice day"., but I'm looking forward to them. I've always, as I mentioned had studded Nokian. The WRG series were great but then Nokian changed compound to a more "green" and different tread pattern with the WRG2 and then they ended up being much worse than the Blizzaks which are the standard tire here. The Hakka 8s on the RS5 are great and allow (given I live on top of a "mountain") to do some memory "rally" that I used to do with the 911T in Europe 40 years ago. The Hakka 9 studded are on the Macan on 19" and they're superb especially in ice and snow. Deep snow, I tend to agree the wheel wells especially in the RS5 are just caked with snow from tire to wheel wall. The only other tire I've tested up here was a set of Vreds on an Audi RS7 for a customer while test driving for VDub/Audi/Bentley. They are definitely not a deep winter tire and I found them awful on the 400 mile test drive by IIRC -43F. Very poor handling and lack of adhesion. I didn't have any digital tools (with the data loggers - or at least none that I was informed of) to measure tire temp etc. but I certainly wouldn't want them on my car.

@drgav2005 "I laughed out loud at your ‘two types of dog’ 😂" I've got more of those ;-)

Thank you again for your comments and I'll feed back when I get some miles into them - about 400 initial miles from Anchorage to Moose Mtn.

siberian
Loved NOkian's...had them put on my Range Sport Supercharged for winter tires when lived in Nebraska. Sold both at my current duty station...great tires and would have them if needed for my 991. Using Michelin Alpin's currently for my take-off set for my RS5 Sportback and PS4's for summers. Waiting patiently Porsche. Good choice Siberian tho.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:08 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Seen a few folks considering this so took a shot and added this to the garage and wanted to see if it would work for the P-car. Reasonable find on Amazon.com...even found one that almost matched my car (Chalk/Crayon) even. Unfortunately even with regular suspension its about 1-2 inches too low. Can imagine that for anyone with SPASM then it will also be a no go. Now with a 2x4 block to drive up on...viola clearance would be avail but otherwise I have a low profile 3-ton race jack that should to the job thankfully. Also would not fit under my daughter's 2014 Audi TT or my son's lower'ed BMW 4 series (H&R lowered Sport Springs). So will defer this to "purchase" to the wife's Q5 for use as if she ever has need it would be much easier for her to jack the SUV in case I wasn't around somewhere.

Electric Scissor Jack

Pretty complete/standard setup

992 Rear jack point placement

About 1-2" too tall for the Carrera 992

Close up - does not clear driver's rear lower rocker panel at jack point.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:10 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Seen a few folks considering this so took a shot and added this to the garage and wanted to see if it would work for the P-car. Reasonable find on Amazon.com...even found one that almost matched my car (Chalk/Crayon) even. Unfortunately even with regular suspension its about 1-2 inches too low. Can imagine that for anyone with SPASM then it will also be a no go. Now with a 2x4 block to drive up on...viola clearance would be avail but otherwise I have a low profile 3-ton race jack that should to the job thankfully. Also would not fit under my daughter's 2014 Audi TT or my son's lower'ed BMW 4 series (H&R lowered Sport Springs). So will defer this to "purchase" to the wife's Q5 for use as if she ever has need it would be much easier for her to jack the SUV in case I wasn't around somewhere.

Electric Scissor Jack

Pretty complete/standard setup

992 Rear jack point placement

About 1-2" too tall for the Carrera 992

Close up - does not clear driver's rear lower rocker panel at jack point.
put a 2x4 down and drive up on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Rings:
G650 (04-02-2021), mdrobc1213 (04-03-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 12:32 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, but unless you want to carry a 2x4 with you doesn't do much good on the road.

However, is the "puck" removable? Either to change it or to grind it down? I'm sure someone in maintenance on base could...

siberian
Old 03-31-2021, 06:11 PM
drgav2005
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Bit of a gulf theme going on 😂

The following 2 users liked this post by drgav2005:
dribar (04-06-2021), markchristenson (04-02-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 992 today thread