Sponsored by:

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 12:02 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
There was a post on the Spyder forum that went on for many pages about reducing cabin noise by removing the sound tube that connects the engine bay to the cockpit through the firewall. At least a dozen people removed it and all reported “50% reduction in noise” or “night and day difference “. Then someone measured it with a decibel meter before and after and found zero difference. Then everyone did a Rosanne Rosannadanna “ Never mind.” The placebo effect is strong. Very few people will publicly admit that their efforts and/or expenditures have had no positive benefits.

Similarly, the only way to do a brake dust test would be to have two otherwise identical cars but with different pads and drive them on the same course. Even then, it would be very difficult to ensure that the brakes are applied the same in both cars.

If some aftermarket pads do actually reduce dust, it has to be at the expense of something. Either stopping distance will increase or the rotors will wear out faster, or more heat will be generated. It’s physically impossible for the change to net only positive results. The most likely scenario will be that stopping distance, heat generation, and wear will all worsen and dust will with be exactly the same or insignificantly better.

Have fun…..
Hawks ceramics reduce your stopping power somewhat. All pads have different material composition for its main purpose. If you want to go track you also don’t use the OEM pads or liquid - just different direction of change. Not an issue for me for street use using the Hawk Ceramics. Amount of dust is easily recognizable. I wash my car every week by hand and can tell if it’s less dust after a week to clean it. If it does not change it I have no problem admitting it - but it’s worth a try.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:08 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

I’m with @Denny Swift no brake dust issues. I’m at a loss when someone says “get the PCCBs cause the dust will drive you nuts”. What dust?

now I also have the RS wheels, so maybe that is the key???

edit:I forgot, I run the 19/20 snow tire combo in the winter. No issues with dust on those wheels either.

Last edited by doug_999; 10-23-2022 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:42 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ake-dust-test/
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (10-24-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 04:22 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Ok, I can 100% confirm the following below did fit on my 2022 4S, installed them today, fingers crossed this will result in less dust!!!

992 Carrera S/4S
The Front Hawk pad shape: HB848Z.646
The Rear Hawk pad shape: HB807Z.587

My prior post, showing the TireRack site screencapture is 100% incorrect for the 992 4S. Found out the hard way, had to do this project twice, lol. They do fit other Porsche models though, so look me up on the classifieds for a really good deal on a new set of Hawk ceramics for the Panamera, 991, Cayman, etc....whatever else those ones fit, but definitely NOT the 992 4S.
Schwarz992C4S (12-03-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 04:43 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Ok, I can 100% confirm the following below did fit on my 2022 4S, installed them today, fingers crossed this will result in less dust!!!

992 Carrera S/4S
The Front Hawk pad shape: HB848Z.646
The Rear Hawk pad shape: HB807Z.587

My prior post, showing the TireRack site screencapture is 100% incorrect for the 992 4S. Found out the hard way, had to do this project twice, lol. They do fit other Porsche models though, so look me up on the classifieds for a really good deal on a new set of Hawk ceramics for the Panamera, 991, Cayman, etc....whatever else those ones fit, but definitely NOT the 992 4S.
Yes, everyone please be careful when referencing TireRack for Hawk part numbers. This happens quite often where the part numbers are inaccurate. As mentioned, I don't list Hawks on the website but I can confirm fitment and source them for you at a discount. Reach out if you need a set.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
Schwarz992C4S (12-03-2022), Tobeit (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 05:04 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

So far, 1 week driving with the Hawk Pads...so far, so good, Usually, after a week I had very visible brake dust build-up...but I want to drive it longer to see if that holds up or just because I am still in brake in period.

+1 on comment from Hinz Motorsport! Could not find the correct pads for my base and they got it right!

AlterZgo (12-03-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 10:58 AM
fishpigkb
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

@Tobeit following up on how the brake dust is on your Hawk pads. Worth it to swap out the OE pads?
Old 12-02-2022, 11:02 AM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, much less dust, satisfied. Only odd thing is the brakes do make a slight clicking noise, which I bet is the metal pad plates when depressing the pedal, probably slight shifting against the caliper touch points. Well worth it to install.
AlterZgo (12-03-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 11:22 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fishpigkb
@Tobeit following up on how the brake dust is on your Hawk pads. Worth it to swap out the OE pads?
Absolute worth it. Its like night and day - going on more than 3 weeks and still looks pretty clean! No squeaking or clicking noise either. One of my favorite mod's as it really makes me more relaxed using the car w/o worrying to see that gold, dark brown brake dust caked on the wheels just after one day.

PS: I did take the time and applied ceramic coat (Torque) before mounting my wheels. The same did not do much to my previous wheels but just for full disclosure. I applied it myself as good as I can considering the wheels have quite a few crevice's.

Last edited by Tobeit; 12-02-2022 at 11:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
AlterZgo (12-03-2022), Patriot (12-22-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 11:32 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Yes, much less dust, satisfied. Only odd thing is the brakes do make a slight clicking noise, which I bet is the metal pad plates when depressing the pedal, probably slight shifting against the caliper touch points. Well worth it to install.
Mine did that too. It's the pads shifting when you brake in a new direction (ie, backing out of driveway and then braking, they will shift, then your first stop afterwards, they'll shift. But they will only do that the first time you brake in a new direction. I contacted Carbonite about my pads and they said it's normal. I guess the aftermarket has looser tolerances than OEM. TOTALLY worth it! SO much less dust!
Old 12-02-2022, 05:37 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS524
also be aware when washing, the iron rotors flash with a rust coating almost immediately. The rust then dusts off as soon as you hit the brakes and deposits a nice coating on your clean wheels. If you're not bothered by this then no big deal but it drove me nuts!
My solution was buying/specing cars with CCB's. Yes an expensive option on Porsche's but well worth it IMHO. It's also an option that will make the car more desirable if/when you decide to sell/trade. Cheers
Interesting. Do you believe then that what is commonly thought to be brake dust is actually deposits from the iron rotors after a wash?
Old 12-03-2022, 05:40 AM
flynbrin
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts

i saw some reviews on YouTube about this product and decided to give it a try on my gts.

Ive used it once and within the past 12 days and brake dust is not noticeable

Amazon Amazon
C2heritage (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 05:20 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
So far, 1 week driving with the Hawk Pads...so far, so good, Usually, after a week I had very visible brake dust build-up...but I want to drive it longer to see if that holds up or just because I am still in brake in period.

+1 on comment from Hinz Motorsport! Could not find the correct pads for my base and they got it right!

Can you update your experiences and do you recommend?
Old 12-21-2022, 06:10 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patriot
Can you update your experiences and do you recommend?
I did not take a picture lately but my wheels are surprisingly clean even after 2-3 weeks. Some minor dust but nothing like before. Before, I had to clean them every week as they were brown/rust color even if the car itself was still spotless.
Patriot (12-22-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 06:12 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patriot
Interesting. Do you believe then that what is commonly thought to be brake dust is actually deposits from the iron rotors after a wash?
There is some of that, likely, but now that I have the Hawks Ceramic my wheels stay clean even though my iron rotors are all rusty after I wash the car (and typically park it). So, same rusty rotors as before I swapped the pads but wheels now stay clean.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
Hinz Motorsport (12-21-2022), Patriot (12-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Brake dust