Sponsored by:

2020 Porsche 911 Carrera allocated

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:03 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
I need help with my decision. The deposit for the Corvette is refundable, and I can get that back still. And I have time since pricing isn't being released until Thursday.. However, the checkbook for $11k locks me in for the 911. I just can't get my head around the price for less performance AND lesser quality materials in the cabin. Not to mention it costing me about 30% more than a loaded Corvette.

Pretty sure the $10K I gave as a deposit to my dealer in NorCal is 100% refundable... not that I have any desire to go there... I personally can't wait until December when it's due to arrive... and I've optioned out this 4S to almost $180K before discounts .. The 911 is more than just raw numbers.... heck a modified Suburu can give it a run for the money.... it's an experience AND... I strongly disagree about the cheap materials comment... You are hard pressed to find a production car with a finer interior build quality than a Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
JHW911 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 01:20 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Jean Samaha
Pretty sure the $10K I gave as a deposit to my dealer in NorCal is 100% refundable... not that I have any desire to go there... I personally can't wait until December when it's due to arrive... and I've optioned out this 4S to almost $180K before discounts .. The 911 is more than just raw numbers.... heck a modified Suburu can give it a run for the money.... it's an experience AND... I strongly disagree about the cheap materials comment... You are hard pressed to find a production car with a finer interior build quality than a Porsche.
I'm not saying it's cheap materials, I have no doubts they are of high quality. It's just disappointing the leather isn't a standard option. IMHO, when I'm comparing a 3LT Corvette with Napa leather seats vs Porsche standard interior. I would take the 3LT Napa leather.

That's why it's an option I can't just turn my head from. If I wanted it in a Corvette, I'm definitely going to want it in the 911.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:22 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 824 Likes on 457 Posts

I'm not saying it's cheap materials, I have no doubts they are of high quality. It's just disappointing the leather isn't a standard option. IMHO, when I'm comparing a 3LT Corvette with Napa leather seats vs Porsche standard interior. I would take the 3LT Napa leather.

That's why it's an option I can't just turn my head from. If I wanted it in a Corvette, I'm definitely going to want it in the 911.

The amount of hand work that goes into a 911 interior is in another league go to about 8:25 on that video and check out that doll stitching the seats at 11:05 😇... the trick is to understand that the base price is just that... a "stripy" ... Like I said, I'm north of $58K in options on mine...
Old 08-27-2019, 02:40 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

With the exception of the Turbo variants, the 911 has often been a car that on paper, looked massively overpriced for what you get. I made the same assumption before.

"$100K for a 380hp Carrara?! pfft my AMG C63S has more horse power and is better at 0-60." It wasn't until I actually drove my first 911 where I really learned that numbers are just numbers. Driving engagement and enjoyment is so much more and cannot be quantified. Give me a 480hp GT3 over a 700hp Hellcat any day.
SamD (08-30-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 10:58 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sam Jean Samaha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdf3ib3Pa8E

The amount of hand work that goes into a 911 interior is in another league go to about 8:25 on that video and check out that doll stitching the seats at 11:05 😇... the trick is to understand that the base price is just that... a "stripy" ... Like I said, I'm north of $58K in options on mine...
Very nice! Thanks for the video. See that’s what I love most is the craftsmanship. And I know Chevy is just mass producing their product. Along with their Malibu’s and Impalas and Equinox lol

all my point was. If you look and feel the difference between sitting in a 3LT over Porsche standard interior. You’ll enjoy the 3LT more. And it’s not to say Porsche doesn’t know this because they obviously do. Hence the $4,600 leather interior option..
Old 08-27-2019, 04:19 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because they believe a fool is born every second.
You are paying tthe dealer MSRP? Do you have a car to drive right now? If so, why don't you wait until dealers have stock on both cars, test drive then back to back and then amke your best deal on the one you want?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kayjh
You are paying tthe dealer MSRP? Do you have a car to drive right now? If so, why don't you wait until dealers have stock on both cars, test drive then back to back and then amke your best deal on the one you want?
I'm looking to spec the car the way I want it to keep it for life. So I could wait, and then order. But I wouldn't buy one off the lot.

It would never have all the options I prefer; and if it did, it probably has a ton of other options I wouldn't want.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Quick question in regards to sports chrono & sports exhaust. Would I really need to spec in a sports exhaust when I have the sports chrono pkg? What will the sports exhaust provide in addition to the chrono?
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 PM
kayleia
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Quick question in regards to sports chrono & sports exhaust. Would I really need to spec in a sports exhaust when I have the sports chrono pkg? What will the sports exhaust provide in addition to the chrono?
How much do you care about sound, and how much do you like the twin oval pipes? That's what sports exhaust gets you.

This was one option I debated pretty much until my lock date, and I decided that I would definitely regret *not* getting it. Every time I heard the engine, I'd think ... it sounds good, but it could sound *better*. It's an emotional experience.

And for what it's worth, I drove a 992 in the US (so it didn't have filters) and the car didn't have sports exhaust. I found the sound a bit lacking, for sure.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:25 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kayleia
How much do you care about sound, and how much do you like the twin oval pipes? That's what sports exhaust gets you.

This was one option I debated pretty much until my lock date, and I decided that I would definitely regret *not* getting it. Every time I heard the engine, I'd think ... it sounds good, but it could sound *better*. It's an emotional experience.

And for what it's worth, I drove a 992 in the US (so it didn't have filters) and the car didn't have sports exhaust. I found the sound a bit lacking, for sure.
When I did my test drive. It only had the sport chrono without sport exhaust... Meanwhile, they had another on the lot that had sport exhaust without sport chrono that I was able to listen to, and I loved the sound. What I was wondering, is does the sport chrono package create that louder exhaust note in sport & sport+ mode? Or would you still need the sport exhaust to get that?

Also, I was told the sport exhaust opens up the engine compartment that enables it to fill the cabin with engine noise. Is that true?
Old 08-27-2019, 11:34 PM
kayleia
Advanced

When I did my test drive. It only had the sport chrono without sport exhaust... Meanwhile, they had another on the lot that had sport exhaust without sport chrono that I was able to listen to, and I loved the sound. What I was wondering, is does the sport chrono package create that louder exhaust note in sport & sport+ mode? Or would you still need the sport exhaust to get that?

Also, I was told the sport exhaust opens up the engine compartment that enables it to fill the cabin with engine noise. Is that true?
I'm pretty sure the louder engine note offered by sports exhaust and sports chrono is a separate thing. So you would need to get sports exhaust to get the louder engine note.

I don't know anything about sound piping through the interior, though. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:39 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure the louder engine note offered by sports exhaust and sports chrono is a separate thing. So you would need to get sports exhaust to get the louder engine note.

I don't know anything about sound piping through the interior, though. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.
He had mentioned it opens up covers on the engine that allows noise into the cabin.. I asked if it's pumped through the speakers?? He emphatically denied it. So I hope that is true lol
Old 08-27-2019, 11:40 PM
kayleia
Advanced

By the way, here's a video where the guy compared a 992 with sports exhaust on and off, with the same mode.

Around 8:45

It's what made me decide to get sports exhaust ...
jkautz (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:58 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

By the way, here's a video where the guy compared a 992 with sports exhaust on and off, with the same mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1fWdns8JuU

Around 8:45

It's what made me decide to get sports exhaust ...
Great vid! Appreciate it! A noticeable rumble within the cabin. Sounds awesome.. I wonder if there is a video showing sound difference from the outside. I think it provides a little crackle off the throttle.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:05 AM
dichael
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 77 Posts

And for what it's worth, I drove a 992 in the US (so it didn't have filters)...
Where did you drive a 992 in the US?

Quick Reply: 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera allocated