2020 Porsche 911 Carrera allocated

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,436 Likes on 5,019 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz

If that is California law? Then why do they have this form?
Because they believe a fool is born every second.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (08-27-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:28 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
hahaha! I feel like one too now lol
Old 08-14-2019, 12:28 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Have you seen the Napa leather in the 3LT yet? Its pretty amazing from what I’ve experienced.

But in terms of quality I have no doubts Porsche is on another level.

Its not too late for me to add full leather interior. It’s $4,500. But at this point. $113k vs. $118k wouldn’t make much difference when you’re talking this much money.

Thoughts on adding leather interior? Must have?
No I haven’t seen it, but the leather will wear quick and start feeling cheap. That’s just been the history of them. It’s always been that way. For me, the 992 is worth getting the full leather package. I personally don’t care for it, but seeing the difference with and without it, is very noticeable, but not necessary. if I was building one out for comfort and possible daily driving; then yes I would. Otherwise, I wouldn’t spend the extra cash.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:30 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

I really don't think a person should buy a 911 (of any generation) just based on raw numbers and stats. Lots of cars that cost less (both vis-a-vis the 991 and 992 generations), will outperform the 911 on paper. And sometimes even on the pavement.

But what is not so easily quantified is the emotional experience one gets from driving a car. Be it a 911, a Corvette, or whatever.

Does driving the 911 make you giddy, like a 4 year old in a candy store giddy? If it does, then buy it and don't look back. 0-60 times never made a person like his car more or less (unless you spend your Friday nights at the local drag strip). If it doesn't, then buy something else, like a C8.
What he said. Spot on for how I feel. I have always loved the Porsche brand, specifically the 911. It checks all of my boxes.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:31 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ991
No I haven’t seen it, but the leather will wear quick and start feeling cheap. That’s just been the history of them. It’s always been that way. For me, the 992 is worth getting the full leather package. I personally don’t care for it, but seeing the difference with and without it, is very noticeable, but not necessary. if I was building one out for comfort and possible daily driving; then yes I would. Otherwise, I wouldn’t spend the extra cash.
Ultimately this car will see about 5k per year. Mostly weekend trips with the Mrs.

I somehow feel like if I’m dropping big coin. Then why not add it. If I wanted it in the Vette. Then I’m going to miss it even more in a Porsche. But that’s not my fault really.. that’s on Porsche for making such a fine product. And me wanting it too look as such lol
Old 08-14-2019, 12:33 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

What he said. Spot on for how I feel. I have always loved the Porsche brand, specifically the 911. It checks all of my boxes.
Anyone have a thread link to 911 rear engine handling vs. the 718 mid engine handling? I always wondered if there is noticeable handling differences. I couldn’t feel it when I tested them back to back. But I did notice how much more solid the 911 felt. And how grounded around tight turns it was
Old 08-14-2019, 12:41 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Ultimately this car will see about 5k per year. Mostly weekend trips with the Mrs.

I somehow feel like if I’m dropping big coin. Then why not add it. If I wanted it in the Vette. Then I’m going to miss it even more in a Porsche. But that’s not my fault really.. that’s on Porsche for making such a fine product. And me wanting it too look as such lol
I hear you. I don’t think you would make a mistake going either way. The c8 is at such a price point, that everyone has taken notice, and it’s even more tempting than ever. I’m sure it’ll be a great car, they always do perform. But, if your heart is stuck on a Porsche, get one, it’s a great feeling when you get a car that you have always wanted, versus buying a geat car, at a great price, but wasn’t your first choice. I did that for a while and avoided Porsche, fearing that it wouldn’t live up to the hype in my mind. But I was proven wrong and glad I was. Can’t wait to get another one!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:47 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

I hear you. I don’t think you would make a mistake going either way. The c8 is at such a price point, that everyone has taken notice, and it’s even more tempting than ever. I’m sure it’ll be a great car, they always do perform. But, if your heart is stuck on a Porsche, get one, it’s a great feeling when you get a car that you have always wanted, versus buying a geat car, at a great price, but wasn’t your first choice. I did that for a while and avoided Porsche, fearing that it wouldn’t live up to the hype in my mind. But I was proven wrong and glad I was. Can’t wait to get another one!
That is true. And I’ve been waiting to buy one for a long time and now is the perfect time for me. Especially with the new design! I love it! Timeless is the best word to describe it.

I have a company truck that I drive every day. Including weekends. Trips in the truck are kind of monotonous to say the least.

The 911 is the vehicle I plan to keep for the long haul. Something I can pass down to my son when my time is up.

I’m 30. So I don’t have a lot of time left.. lol
Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 AM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

I grew up in a household with Corvettes and 911s. My dad bought and sold them over the years but he always kept his first 911. A 1987 Targa Turbo look he bought new. Years later he gave me the car. I have great memories in the back seat of that car and now I make new memories with my kids in those very same seats. Don’t underestimate those tiny rear seats!
Old 08-14-2019, 01:21 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sebvelez
I grew up in a household with Corvettes and 911s. My dad bought and sold them over the years but he always kept his first 911. A 1987 Targa Turbo look he bought new. Years later he gave me the car. I have great memories in the back seat of that car and now I make new memories with my kids in those very same seats. Don’t underestimate those tiny rear seats!
Love hearing stories like that. That’s what I want in a car. Something to keep for a lifetime.

My wife loves the little rear seat. She’s only 5ft 2in. But she had a lot of fun during the test drive.. hearing the engine behind her!

It’ll fit my baby boy for sure. He’s going to be born this November!

Last edited by jkautz; 08-14-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd go for an early allocation Corvette and then dump it once all good ol boys get them. I applaud GM as with Tesla in their respective vehicles for their price to performance ratio. I love Porsche but at times i'm getting tired of the constant nickel and dime-ing for every option. The new Corvette has everyone on notice. Even the Ferrari boys on their forums are having lively discussions regarding the C8.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

All deposits in CA are refundable.
both correct
Old 08-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Love hearing stories like that. That’s what I want in a car. Something to keep for a lifetime.

My wife loves the little rear seat. She’s only 5’2”. But she had a lot of fun during the test drive.. hearing the engine behind her!

It’ll fit my baby boy for sure. He’s going to be born this November!
Man, congrats on the baby! Taking my kids on fun rides is always awesome. These are very solid well made cars that look great now and in 20 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sebvelez:
jkautz (08-27-2019), pelucidor (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:22 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

I guess I’m more disappointed in what the 911 didn’t come with standard, than with what options you could add.
It seems to me that a many people on this forum think about options in an unhelpful way - they feel Porsche is ‘nickel and diming’ them but this isn’t correct.

Think about it, a great many people on here get very exercised about the 911 becoming an overweight, nanny full of technological frippery. Others seem to specify everything and love that the car is a daily driver with soft seats and Burmester sound.

The base car is a high priced vehicle because, in Porsche’s eyes (and mine too), this vehicle is a comprehensively developed masterpiece that earns its base price on performance and quality alone. In short, the car costs more because it’s worth more - it’s a thoroughbred.

The options aren’t there because Porsche is too tight to include them in the standard build and is trying to sweat your wallet. They are there so buyers can make the car they want, whether that is a stripped out raw no options experience, a more luxury GT, or the fully bespoke Porsche personalisation experience. And with the Carrera T they can appeal to purists, with the GT cars to track fiends, and with the speedster to the collectors.

This car is unlike nearly every other car on the market. It is a Savile Row bespoke suit (almost no two are alike) not a Brooke’s Brothers off the rack suit.

That’s why the options are available but not included as standard. And that’s why a 911 costs more than a regular car. Putting Nappa leather on an IKEA sofa doesn’t make it an heirloom.
The following 2 users liked this post by JHesketh:
SamD (08-15-2019), Sebvelez (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My garage has a 2005 (997 Carrera S), 2016 Panamera GTS and wifes 2015 Cayenne TT. I drove the 997 C2S for over 10 years as a daily driver. I can tell you that as it approaches 15 years of ownership I still drive it 2-3 times a week, and every time I get in it it still feels special to me. Like an event, a happening. It is well worn, but well maintained and cared for, lived in, driven hard. Point being, after all this time I love it more now than I did back in 2005 when I bought it. I could swap it out for a new one, but I have no desire to do so. Can you imagine a Corvette ever having that impact on anyone after that amount of time? Me neither, and I am a huge fan boy of the new mid engine car. No doubt it is going to be kick ***. Still....it's just not the same.
The following 3 users liked this post by blk on blk:
JHesketh (08-15-2019), Rich_Jenkins (08-27-2019), Sebvelez (08-14-2019)

Quick Reply: 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera allocated