Sponsored by:

A hater's driving impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 01:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,409 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Never drove a 991. 997 is the most recent 911 generation I've driven.
That's probably why it felt big.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:40 PM
Nautilus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks very much for the great review.
Apples to oranges, but compared to other turbo cars I've driven (M5, 996TT, Alfa 4C) the 992's lag was the least noticeable, at least in sport+ mode. Normal mode, maybe a hair, but really just a hair.
I have a 4C and now that you mention it I would be interested in hearing your opinion about how the 992 compares to it.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheMeister42
Looks to have PDCC, they moved that button under the screen on the right side (one of the toggles).
And sport chrono, sports exhaust, alcantara GT steering wheel, interior paint and yellow band on both rev gauge and sport chrono clock, speed limit recognition so lane keep assist, and front axel lift which would suggest likely SPASM (-10mm drop).

Sports Front nose cone and side skirts so presumably the full sport design body kit, black painted alloys and carbon fibre roof too.

This is a very nicely tricked out car.

Last edited by JHesketh; 08-11-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Nautilus
Thanks very much for the great review.

I have a 4C and now that you mention it I would be interested in hearing your opinion about how the 992 compares to it.
Thanks
Apples and oranges, I would say... The 4C was designed with a very strong sense of purpose and they executed it ruthlessly. Does very well what it sets out to achieve, but with a lot of compromises.The 992 is a well rounded and versatile machine instead. It can gobble up hundreds of highway miles effortlessly, you can use it for a date night, etc.

The difference in power delivery is noticeable, as it should be given the difference in displacement. The 1.7 liter turbo four has to work harder.

The backroads is where the 4C shows its magic, but the 992 can hold its own surprisingly well. I guess one could say that what the 4C achieves through simplicity and lightness, the 992 does with very advanced technology. Sorry that's vague, but I'm not much of a car writer...
Old 08-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JHesketh
speed limit recognition so lane keep assist,
This is a very nicely tricked out car.
Yes, the speed limit recognition was a very useful gimmick, helped avoid doing stupid things, but I wish it was delivered with a HUD. After driving a couple of Bimmers I've grown very fond of it.

Makes sense that it's a nicely optioned car, it surely felt high tech when driving it.
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sebvelez
Thanks for the review! I’m picking up 992 at the factory in October... any direction on where these switchbacks are would be greatly appreciated!!! Sounds awesome.
I'm afraid I can't provide a lot of specific advice. It was kind of serendipitous - I was directed to Baden-Baden, and the on-board navigation system suggested I get off the highway to beat traffic. I ended up on a beautiful road, so after a bit I disengaged the GPS and just kept driving around for a while. If you look on Google maps, west of Stuttgart there is an area shaded in green, that's the general vicinity of where I was.
The following users liked this post:
Sebvelez (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 12:36 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Those of you who haven't put me on ignore know that I'm one of the earliest and most vicious critics of the 992. Long story short, today I rented a speed yellow 992 C2S for the day at Porsche museum and drove it a few hundred Kms both on Autobahn and off (the epic schwaebische country switchbacks with hairpins and ****, with perfect pavement and 100kmh limits and next to no traffic should have their own forum. Not thread - forum).

The gist of it:
1) after spending a day in it the car continues to look huge and bloated to me. Looks like a pregnant cow.
2) all the things everybody hates really do suck. The nubbin, the side gauges unreadable because steering wheel, the bug fat flat piano black console, etc.

On the other hand:

3) How does the C2S drive? Oh sweet Lord. What a fantastic car. Unreal. Turbo lag my ***. In sport+, you feather the throttle and it jumps forward.

Planted and incredibly tight at Autobahn speeds. Last month I rented an M5 and got it to 163mph. Great car but I'd take the C2S any day of the week.

Telepathic steering. Quick on its feet around the twisties. A car that big has no business feeling that nimble. How the hell did they do it. I wish I didn't have to give it back

So in summary the looks really don't do it for me, but there's no question that dynamically it's an excellent car.

Everything positive you mentioned already applies to the 991. ...and I drive the same roads you just drove all the time. A large part of your enjoyment was probably more related to that than the car itself.

I got so bored driving the 992 I stopped to amuse myself at an amusement park while I had it. Yes it's true, the 992 was so bad I stopped halfway on my route and spent a few hours at Europa Park. Granted, I have a GT3 Touring to drive the rest of the time so the 992 didn't feel special or better in any way.

Quick Reply: A hater's driving impressions.