Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Recommendations on Base 992 Build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 04:29 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Great 👍, and congrats. Really nice build and mods.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:14 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks fantastic!
Old 03-01-2021, 03:37 AM
rumnyc
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 73 Posts

Interior:
KEEP-- Sport-Tex w/ Chalk Stitch vs Black Leather w/ Chalk Stitch: I think the Sport-Tex looks super cool. Gives the car a sporty, retro vibe while also making it a bit more unique. I do worry I'll "get sick of it" or it will kill potential trade-in value (if I do get sick of it). Black leather is clearly the "safe" choice...
LOSE, as you won't even see them and toddlers (i have them)-- Brushed Aluminum Trim and Backrest Shells ($1900) -- I think Aluminum Trim ($1260) would look great with the Sport Tex seats and GT Silver Exterior, but the logical next step is to add $1900 Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather with Brushed Aluminum Inlay to really pull everything together. But I mean, am I ever going to even look at the back of the seats, or is my toddler just going to smash the crap out of them (like in our X3). I really don't care for the plastic looking backs of the SS+ and in a Cab this would be a no-brainer because you can see them from outside the car, but in a coupe would I even notice? Seems like an easy place to save $2K.
MUST KEEP i can't believe you need to pay for this-- Extended Dashboard and Door Panel Package in Leather ($3440) -- On one hand I want to maximize the classy refinement factor of the car, especially given the Sport-Tex, but on the flip side, this seems like a pricy option and is it in keeping with the sport spirit of the car?
MATCH STICHING-- Will Chalk seatbelts or Silver/Gray look better given chalk contrast stitching but GT Silver exterior?

Performance:
DROP BOTH but keep SPASM I have neither and seriously the car tracks flat no matter what and turns on a dime. you don't track enough to even learn how to get the most of these.-- PDCC and RWS -- Combined this adds $5260 to the build. Given how little track work I'll be doing this seems the easiest thing to cut. I've never owned another 911, so I don't "know what I'd be missing." I can parallel park my X3 just fine thank you. I get the appeal of PDCC on a track for high-speed cornering but does it convey any benefit on New England backroads at NON-go-to-jail speeds. (If I ever got into DE again, I'd build a dedicated track car with all safety systems) like my old GTS3 prepped e36M3. I've crashed on the track years ago and would never push a street car past 7/10.
DROP as you won't remember if to use it and the SPASM soft plastic lip will protect you and just replace it every 6 months for like 200usd new-- Front Axel Lift: $2700, not sure if I REALLY need it (driveway not especially steep, but there are some gnarly entrances to gas stations and I do plan to drive this car year round with snow on ground, so just seems like good insurance given the Sport Design kit and SPASM.

Audio:
KEEP as the burmeister does make a difference. I have mine for a month and I tried bose recently and omg i would just poke my ears out everytime that thing produced a kick drum rattle on my calves. I also have dedicated hifi and you have probably spent more on cables than -- Burmester (~$4K upgrade from the Bose). I listened to both at my dealership with the engine idling and not much attention paid to sources, etc. Neither blew me away and both were "acceptable". Bose was boomy and lacking definition, whereas the Burm sounded a bit harsh and fatiguing. I have a high-end HiFi setup and dedicated listening room at home, so the bar is pretty high. Honestly, I can't imagine either would sound great while actually driving (with road/engine/PSE etc.) just like my HiFi setup would sound like crap if we relocated our washer/drier into the listening room. So my instinct here is to drop the Burm for the Bose since neither really knocked my socks off.

Other Stuff:
MAYBE KEEPI also saw the swedish guy and honestly whatever its cheap and i still don't know what it really does.-- Lightweight and Noice Isolated Glass: I'm kind of sold on this based on some youTube video by a Swedish guy. Gives the Bose/Burm a chance and doesn't interfere with the PSE.
KEEP due to can't believe i need to pay for this dept-- LCA and Surround View: Crazy this adds $2500 to my build but comes standard on our nanny's Civic, but I've kind of come to depend on both
DROP cos its too boy racer/loud. if i wanted wings and sideskit that would keep dirtying my pants i would get the gt3-- Sport Design Package with Side Skirts: Adds $6180, but frankly I don't much care for the looks of the care without the Sport Design Package (the rear especially) so that's unfortunately probably a non-negotiable. The side skirts I could probably take or leave, but seems like they'll complete the look.

These are all opinions and you would be happy with a base c2 with no options as most of the fun factor is standard
The following 2 users liked this post by rumnyc:
Dan Nagy (03-01-2021), sexfiend (03-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Final Recommendations on Base 992 Build?