Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Recommendations on Base 992 Build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 01:53 PM
tvlaan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Final Recommendations on Base 992 Build?

About to finalize my first 911 build and would love any collective experience/input.

Background - just sold my 2017 Cayman 718 base model with a PDK and really enjoyed it. Driven a few 991.2s at the porsche experience center and enjoyed them equally as much.

Now, i'm no pro driver and don't think i'd ever take this one on a track. This will be a daily driver for about 8 months a year (it will stay in the garage during the winter here in Michigan).

Here are my specs:

Base 992
Gentian Blue
Full Leather Interior - Slate Grey w/ Chalk Stiching
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
Premium Package
Window Trim in Silver
Model Designation Changed to "911"
Sport Chrono Package
Power Steering Plus
Heated Multifunction GT Sport Steering Wheel

I am on the fence with the PSE - i like the look of the squared off pipes, but don't know if i really care enough about exhaust note to go for this (also don't know how much this impacts long term value).

Also, i can afford the "S" version if i wanted, but don't know if i'd really notice any difference given the intended use of the car. A small part of me just wants to get the "S", but if 0-60 speed isn't that big of a deal, is it really worth it?

Any advice on must have build items?
Any opinions on the PSE or whether i should go with the "S"?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2019, 04:47 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds good...the silver trim really works on blue, and ties in nicely with the standard bright wheels for a classic look. Upgrade sound to Bose? One thought, if you're going for the base, I'm guessing you're thinking about the value equation, so, since you're not going on track, do you need the adaptive sport seats? Not sure the PSE is necessary on your build, or your use case. Good luck and enjoy the process.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:09 PM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

I also like the build. Couple of thoughts:
- going to the S (where the extra HP is always nice, albeit not necessary) also means the 20'21" rims, which will mean less sidewall and a somewhat firmer (read harsher) ride
- PSE is a highly desire option it appears, especially with this model
- SC is really unnecessary for a DD, doesn't really add much to that equation especially when you say 0-60 time is not a priority
- Bose included in the Prem Pkg, as is ventilated seats, which would also be very nice to have

What kind of timeframe are they giving you?

Cheers
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Great build. I, too, think SC is unnecessary. I'd also chuck the power steering plus. I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't opt for PSE in a base daily driver. I have it in my 991.2 and rarely use it when just driving around town (I don't want to be the "load car guy") or on the highway (Sorry, but I'd rather listen to music or converse with my passenger). As for the S, if you want to stick within a certain budget you'll be happy with a base. Unless, of course, the extra 64 horsepower and half second faster 0-60 time make a difference in most of your driving. When it's time to trade my S, I'm probably going to buy a base.
The following users liked this post:
992carreraS (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 12:38 AM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 654 Likes on 302 Posts

I 2nd the skip the PS plus ! I built my first ever 911 in Oct and could not be happier. The build, the wait etc only increase the love affair Enjoy
matty
The following users liked this post:
Metalblond (08-20-2020)
Old 08-10-2019, 12:58 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,697 Likes on 5,115 Posts

I would get the S just for the larger brakes.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
992carreraS (08-10-2019), Metalblond (08-20-2020)
Old 08-10-2019, 02:20 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tvlaan
About to finalize my first 911 build and would love any collective experience/input.

Background - just sold my 2017 Cayman 718 base model with a PDK and really enjoyed it. Driven a few 991.2s at the porsche experience center and enjoyed them equally as much.

Now, i'm no pro driver and don't think i'd ever take this one on a track. This will be a daily driver for about 8 months a year (it will stay in the garage during the winter here in Michigan).

Here are my specs:

Base 992
Gentian Blue
Full Leather Interior - Slate Grey w/ Chalk Stiching
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
Premium Package
Window Trim in Silver
Model Designation Changed to "911"
Sport Chrono Package
Power Steering Plus
Heated Multifunction GT Sport Steering Wheel

I am on the fence with the PSE - i like the look of the squared off pipes, but don't know if i really care enough about exhaust note to go for this (also don't know how much this impacts long term value).

Also, i can afford the "S" version if i wanted, but don't know if i'd really notice any difference given the intended use of the car. A small part of me just wants to get the "S", but if 0-60 speed isn't that big of a deal, is it really worth it?

Any advice on must have build items?
Any opinions on the PSE or whether i should go with the "S"?

Thanks in advance!
I use to have a 2014 981 Cayman PDK base, so I know where you are coming from. My 992 S is similar to yours; a second DD but no winters.

I got the S for the better breaks, the mechanical LSD, torque vectoring and larger wheels, while eliminating the potential need to trade up to an S, had I got a base model. I didn't need/order the Sports Chrono functions. Power Steering Plus is really not needed in this car (MHO), and I like the looks of either the base squared exhaust tips or the S's quad pipe look, not a fan of the round PSE, nor their sound & price. I opted for the the 14 way seats. I too will not track my car. Like your color choices; spot on; classic, no question. Hope that helps.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:23 AM
Osv
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 992carreraS
I use to have a 2014 981 Cayman PDK base, so I know where you are coming from. My 992 S is similar to yours; a second DD but no winters.

I got the S for the better breaks, the mechanical LSD, torque vectoring and larger wheels, while eliminating the potential need to trade up to an S, had I got a base model. I didn't need/order the Sports Chrono functions. Power Steering Plus is really not needed in this car (MHO), and I like the looks of either the base squared exhaust tips or the S's quad pipe look, not a fan of the round PSE, nor their sound & price. I opted for the the 14 way seats. I too will not track my car. Like your color choices; spot on; classic, no question. Hope that helps.
The S does have a electrohydraulically controlled LSD (PTV+), (with PDK) which is not available for the base model. That is a huge differentiation performance/traction wise, because the base model has an open diff with torque vectoring realised by brake pressure modulation on the rear axle. In the 991 the base Carrera 4 could be ordered with PTV+ as an option.
The manual used to have a mechanical LSD in the S and an open diff with brake torque vectoring in the base model. 992 remains to be seen.

The larger wheels should be available for the base model as well.

If you don't track it, the brakes of the base model should be sufficient enough for most drivers, even for Autobahn abuse.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:28 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I love sports chrono. - sports plus mode leaves the revs high, keeps you in a lower gear, and the shifts are much more aggressive.
I will say I spend the majority of the time in sports plus, but every once in awhile its fun to switch it up.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:29 AM
dashanin
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Excellent build! I'd consider an "S" for larger brakes and PTV...not the horsepower bump. These engines are powerful enough and I've read that base engine has more visceral feel and almost zero lag, and you can work the engine hard to get the most fun out of it. Based on your intended use a base would be ideal.

I'd go with 4 way Sport Plus seat to save weight over 18 way. Full leather will add richness to the cabin and two-tone option is fantastic choice. I'd skip on SE since you like the look of standard exhaust tips, and should you decide to upgrade later on it will be a fun project.

Good luck and drive the car to the fullest those 8 months!

Old 08-20-2020, 01:51 AM
Javriv
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not that it matters much but 911 model designation is a good change if you plan to PPF it. I would get LCA and Adaptive cruise control. Mine is also a daily and this adds to comfort. I’ve the basic sound system and I think its more than enough (and you can do aftermarket anyway). Blue is beautiful can’t go wrong there. I would get the RS Spyder wheels if I were you, it sort balances itself with the more empty space because you won’t the large rotors.

edit: don’t waste your money with power steering plus I don’t have it and can’t tell the difference from my other sedan/SUV

Last edited by Javriv; 08-20-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:41 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

The color combinations are really nice. I’d just take out the power steering plus, maybe add something else in that’s fun. Having just come from a C2, it’s plenty of car and you will be happy with it. I would have purchased another one except a manual transmission can only be had in an “S” Model. About PSE, only you know whether a pronounced exhaust note is important to you. I must say that the PSE in the 992 provides a much better note than the 991.2.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:42 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Additional power and larger brakes in S not needed for a DD. Base Carrera is a stellar performer on all fronts.
PTV+ still available on C4, but lack of mechanical LSD in C2 not a big deal if not tracked/autocrossed/winter driven.
Car sounds just fine with standard exhaust; PSE just kicks up the flat-six growlies a notch.
18-way seats are brilliant.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:24 PM
tvlaan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, not sure why this thread got resurrected...

in the end I decided on a well equipped C4. main options:

aventurine green
full leather black with chalk stitching
18 way seats
Premium pkg
Sport pkg (PSE, PTV+)

I’ve also added Soul sport cats and BMC filters.

I think I made the right choices

The following 4 users liked this post by tvlaan:
diss7 (08-20-2020), markchristenson (08-20-2020), mdrobc1213 (03-07-2021), Nemic (08-27-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 03:54 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by tvlaan
Wow, not sure why this thread got resurrected...in the end I decided on a well equipped C4. main options:

aventurine green
full leather black with chalk stitching
18 way seats
Premium pkg
Sport pkg (PSE, PTV+)

I’ve also added Soul sport cats and BMC filters.

I think I made the right choices
lol. Note to self: check original post date before contributing to a Zombie thread.
Nice build BTW.

Quick Reply: Final Recommendations on Base 992 Build?