Sponsored by:

MT in 992

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
You sure hit the nail right on the head!

What your basically saying is that you openly support companies manipulating consumers to pay more money in order to get the products they love and want so that your retirement fund can grow by riding on the backs of these companies that produce actual products who are levered into these compromised positions by their deal made with the stock market devil.

If that isn't the perfect summary of the money business I don’t know what is!
Volkswagen and Porsche are ultimately in the car business to make money, and I don't begrudge them for trying to make more money. If they have a desirable luxury product and people are willing to pay for it, good for them! It is an enviable position to be in for a business. After all, we are talking about options on $100k+ cars here, not exactly food or clean water.

In the same vein, I don't begrudge dealers for charging ADM. I won't pay ADM, but if they can find someone to pay $100k+ ADM for the Speedster or the GT2RS, good for the dealer and I wish them well.

These discussions over business decisions made by a car company always seem to bring out at least one champion of capitalism indirectly protecting their bottom line by cheering on the questionable means in which they seek to generate more wealth using existing wealth.
Sometimes companies don't give me what I want, and that's fine. There are always other choices -- and in this case, a used 991.2 GT3 is always an option.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:45 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by frankchn
Volkswagen and Porsche are ultimately in the car business to make money...
That may well be how VW/Porsche look at their business, but I suggest that people should be in business to serve customers and to do that they have to make money.

God bless,
TT
Old 08-14-2019, 10:52 PM
frankchn
Pro

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
That may well be how VW/Porsche look at their business, but I suggest that people should be in business to serve customers and to do that they have to make money.
I think modern capitalism is setup such that it is difficult to achieve that. For instance, I go to work and do my job because I am getting paid by my company (i.e. making money), not because I have a lot of innate desire to serve my company's customers. If they stopped paying me, I'd stop going to work.

This percolates throughout all modern businesses from the CEO down, and thus we end up with what we have.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:57 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

I think modern capitalism is setup such that it is difficult to achieve that. For instance, I go to work and do my job because I am getting paid by my company (i.e. making money), not because I have a lot of innate desire to serve my company's customers. If they stopped paying me, I'd stop going to work.

This percolates throughout all modern businesses from the CEO down, and thus we end up with what we have.
I don't disagree that our business business culture today is primarily about making money, not serving customers. The evidence of that is everywhere. And I think it's a great shame.

God bless,
TT
Old 08-14-2019, 10:58 PM
frankchn
Pro

In any case, I think Porsche will probably launch MT for all models except the RS and Turbo lines (i.e. exactly the same as the 991.2) and the discussion will all be moot.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:04 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

In any case, I think Porsche will probably launch MT for all models except the RS and Turbo lines (i.e. exactly the same as the 991.2) and the discussion will all be moot.
I hope you're right. By the way, I'm not saying that being rewarded for service rendered isn't important. It obviously is, especially for an individual who must feed, house and clothe her or his family and educate her or his children. But I do believe business owners should be doing what they're doing in large part to serve customers. I'm old fashioned. ;-)

God bless,
TT
Old 08-14-2019, 11:05 PM
frankchn
Pro

I hope you're right. By the way, I'm not saying that being rewarded for service rendered isn't important. It obviously is, especially for an individual who must feed, house and clothe her or his family and educate her or his children. But I do believe business owners should be doing what they're doing in large part to serve customers. I'm old fashioned. ;-)
More than fair, and I think the world will be much better if this is the case more often as well
Old 08-14-2019, 11:05 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Volkswagen and Porsche are ultimately in the car business to make money, and I don't begrudge them for trying to make more money.
I get where your coming from but I don’t agree entirely.

Above the funding aspects, building cars takes an incredible amount of passion, effort , skill, engineering and technical ability. Or at least it used to...

If making money was always the auto makers primary goal there were plenty of easier and more profitable businesses they could have gotten into , like insurance for instance... Businesses that generate far more for themselves than they output in value to their customers.

Most of these auto companies ( and certainly not Porsche ) were not founded and built by men who's ultimate goal was to get rich. They were founded by men who had a burning passion for automotive design engineering and sought building these companies as a means to share that passion with others.

Unfortunately in today’s corrupted world these companies are no longer run by those men but instead greedy corporate money business types who seek to squeeze every dollar out of the consumer who believes they are still buying into that passion.

Its up to those of us left with that passion to continue carrying that flame and it requires the exact opposite of cheering on the capitalistic forces that are driving out that passion and replacing it with happy shareholders that could care less about anything but numbers, numbers, numbers.

Last edited by limegreen; 08-14-2019 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bolo (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:35 PM
Sebvelez
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 61 Posts

Make a car that will sell, then think of a new variation” Ferry Porsche (from Porsche 911; 50 years)
Old 08-15-2019, 02:00 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
You sure hit the nail right on the head!

What your basically saying is that you openly support companies manipulating consumers to pay more money in order to get the products they love and want so that your retirement fund can grow by riding on the backs of these companies that produce actual products who are levered into these compromised positions by their deal made with the stock market devil. If that isn't the perfect summary of the money business I don’t know what is! These discussions over business decisions made by a car company always seem to bring out at least one champion of capitalism indirectly protecting their bottom line by cheering on the questionable means in which they seek to generate more wealth using existing wealth.
This is a farce.

I am a proud capitalist and student of history. I understand that regulated capitalism has proved to be the only successfully sustained economic model. Regulation is required to protect markets from the extremes of pure capitalisms (or the extremes of any socio-economic system). But you guys are now entering the realm of comparing MTs to 19th century industrial barons' unbridled pillaging of natural resources or many of the tactics supported by the current American administration.

Dude, this is a product that only one-percenters can afford. Can you imagine how those in a lower economic situation would react to you claiming Porsche owners are being manipulated by greedy capitalists? This thread has gone off the rails. Farce.
The following 6 users liked this post by hinckley:
browse964 (08-15-2019), JHesketh (08-15-2019), mallocfailure (08-16-2019), moomin (08-16-2019), RobMtz (08-19-2019), Sebvelez (08-15-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2019, 05:37 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
This is a farce.

I am a proud capitalist and student of history. I understand that regulated capitalism has proved to be the only successfully sustained economic model. Regulation is required to protect markets from the extremes of pure capitalisms (or the extremes of any socio-economic system). But you guys are now entering the realm of comparing MTs to 19th century industrial barons' unbridled pillaging of natural resources or many of the tactics supported by the current American administration.

Dude, this is a product that only one-percenters can afford. Can you imagine how those in a lower economic situation would react to you claiming Porsche owners are being manipulated by greedy capitalists? This thread has gone off the rails. Farce.
Totally agree. Indeed this thread is symptomatic of everything that is going wrong with RL these days. Too many armchair critics bashing the world and particularly Porsche.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chris3963:
JHesketh (08-15-2019), moomin (08-16-2019), Sebvelez (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:18 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Totally agree. Indeed this thread is symptomatic of everything that is going wrong with RL these days. Too many armchair critics bashing the world and particularly Porsche.
It's not a sin to express one's desire for manual transmissions in 911s. There seems to be plenty of bashing on both sides and it might be good for all of it to stop.

God bless,
TT
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:51 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
It's not a sin to express one's desire for manual transmissions in 911s. There seems to be plenty of bashing on both sides and it might be good for all of it to stop. God bless,
TT
Of course you're absolutely correct, Tom. I for one am a lifelong MT driver and will likely not buy a 992 if one is not offered (for whatever capitalist or satanic reason ). However, I don't think we're distressed by the expression of differing viewpoints. That's exactly what these boards are all about. We're distressed by the extremities and disrespect that members seem to be drifting to when expressing differing viewpoints. I personally feel it's a symptom of where our American culture has drifted to, and I agree and hope it all stops. Gosh, we're talking about Porsche 911s here! This is supposed to be fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by hinckley:
JHesketh (08-15-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-15-2019), SamD (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by hinckley
We're distressed by the extremities and disrespect that members seem to be drifting to when expressing differing viewpoints. I personally feel it's a symptom of where our American culture has drifted to, and I agree and hope it all stops. Gosh, we're talking about Porsche 911s here! This is supposed to be fun.
Amen to that!

God bless,
TT
JHesketh (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:42 PM
SamD
Racer

Received 300 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jamblastx
Just to echo one of the posters above, I also checked the Sport Chrono package and on the base car, it states nothing about the manual however on the S, it does talk about the rev matching for the manual.
The SC descriptions for the base and the S are quite different. Dynamic engine mounts cited for the S, but not the base. That seems unlikely, so perhaps this is not really confirmation of no MT . . .

Quick Reply: MT in 992