Default If you thought the gear-nub is bad check out Ferraris new attempt

https://youtu.be/ZYvBp1Dl9-E

Fast forward to 4min 20seconds..

Youch!
Old 07-13-2019, 05:34 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I quite like it! I also like the gear nub aswell, I don’t get all the fuss (and yeah I was someone that even used the manual mode on the “stick” alot on my GTS).

I think people started to make a huge thing out of it after a few people complaining about it and everyone hates it now. Everyone that sat in my car so far even said how cool they think the “nub” is. All those people don’t have ever heard people complaining about it and are not influenced by all the fuss about it.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:47 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by B3rk
I quite like it! I also like the gear nub aswell, I don’t get all the fuss (and yeah I was someone that even used the manual mode on the “stick” alot on my GTS).

I think people started to make a huge thing out of it after a few people complaining about it and everyone hates it now. Everyone that sat in my car so far even said how cool they think the “nub” is. All those people don’t have ever heard people complaining about it and are not influenced by all the fuss about it.

I actually 100% agree with you. Personally I don't hate the nub at all. I've ordered a 992 to replace my 991.2 GTS and I never used the gear shift to change, only paddles, so I'm not going to miss anything. But I do see why some people wouldn't like it. I think the worst part about it is the plastic P and M buttons below the nub which is a super minor gripe.

The only thing about the 992 interior I don't like is the new drivers cup holder. But Porsche can't please everyone with everything and the aside from the cup holder I think the rest of the interior is absolutely brilliant.

That being said, the Ferrari execution looks terrible. It appears you have to grip it in your finger tips like you're lifting a fine china tea cup. And trying to to mimic the old gated manual shifter? Ppppfffffffff please. Terrible idea to begin with!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:05 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SDK Autos
I actually 100% agree with you. Personally I don't hate the nub at all. I've ordered a 992 to replace my 991.2 GTS and I never used the gear shift to change, only paddles, so I'm not going to miss anything. But I do see why some people wouldn't like it. I think the worst part about it is the plastic P and M buttons below the nub which is a super minor gripe.

The only thing about the 992 interior I don't like is the new drivers cup holder. But Porsche can't please everyone with everything and the aside from the cup holder I think the rest of the interior is absolutely brilliant.

That being said, the Ferrari execution looks terrible. It appears you have to grip it in your finger tips like you're lifting a fine china tea cup. And trying to to mimic the old gated manual shifter? Ppppfffffffff please. Terrible idea to begin with!
Haha yeah I agree about the Ferrari part, to me it looks very nice but it does look like you have to grip it with your finger tips!

about the P and M button, I think it is ok. The only thing I dislike about the 992 interior is the plastic doorhandels, keep in mind I have the stock trim and I think you can option them out. If I knew they were plastic and have that plastic look I would have optioned them out.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:09 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

If one was forced on me, I would find a way to live with it.
The following users liked this post:
SDK Autos (07-13-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:39 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

For me the problem with this Ferrari and most of their latest cars is not the gear mechanism, it’s the power.

Just before I bought my 992S I was looking very seriously at an F12. To my eyes this is a beautiful, focussed car with an exquisite sound from a masterpiece engine. But it’s just too damn powerful with too few gears. You’re in ‘license losing’ territory in second and ‘any mistake will kill someone’ if you rev high in third.

By comparison the 992S requires you to work the gears, and it keeps you fully engaged without scaring you. Sure, the engine sounds like a lawnmower (flat six vs V12 is not a kind comparison), and I can’t imagine ever just staring at it like it was art, and there’s the whole ‘isn't this plastic digital interior from a panamera’ thing, but I will drive this car right through the whole rev range from 1st to 5th.

It took me a long time to get comfortable with this choice, not least because Ferrari made me feel they were really excited to welcome me into their club, whereas Porsche were positively casual.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:46 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

It's just such a personal decision. No right or wrong.

I find myself going from the paddles, the the stick back to the paddles and so on all the time.

I think I honestly just would avoid attempting to use it on the 992 because it is so Norelco small.

Some won't miss it and some GT3 guys will be happy it's still there in the 992 GT3.

The people that don't mind the nub wont miss the precious shifter and the guys the use it will miss it immensely. To each their own!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:42 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SDK Autos

we have i read that the 992 interior is a disappointment; that it looks and feels cheap. in the pics, it surely doesn't .. what is your experience here? thanks
Old 07-25-2019, 03:07 PM
cscrogham
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

What's not to like, free Braun shaver right there on the console. Quite the time saver in traffic.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:54 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Terrible, but not as bad as the nubbin.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:04 AM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

Has anybody tried the just recently available optional PDK selector in Aluminum?

May not be the solution everyone is looking for, but is an improvement IMO. I’ve ordered it on my build.

Quick Reply: If you thought the gear-nub is bad check out Ferraris new attempt