Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 992 came with 2 keys and 2 “remotes”?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Dzu
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My 992 came with 2 keys and 2 “remotes”?!

Hello everyone
just picked up my first porsche from the dealer.
its a 992 carrera s.
i have two problems and maybe someone could help me.
1. Except the 2 keys, it came with 2 remotes, and i have no idea what is the remotes use (first photo attached).
2. Its a new car. I live in Romania (eastern europe) but i picked up the car from Germany. Reading forums, i understand that i have to drive the car long ways and not over 4000rpm for 3000 km for the breakin period, so wanted to drive the car from Germany to Romania.
after 400 km, i received a chassis fault error (photo 2 attached).
the car drives normal but i can not change from normal to sport/sport plus/wet.
if i stop the engine, the error disappears for a while.
delaer programmed me in two weeks
thanks in advance for your answers!
good evening

Photo 1 - remotes

Photo 2 - chassis error
Old 07-03-2019, 04:00 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

I would just congrats on your new ride
Enjoy it..
Old 07-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Dzu
Intermediate

Thank you!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:26 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

I’m guessing the two black blocks are the new Porsche tracking transponders. Do you have the Porsche Vehicle Tracking System optioned? I’ve read elsewhere that the new transponders are thinner and fatter than the 991 ‘credit card with a bulge’ ones.

as for ‘run in’. I asked this question to Evo X, the dealer attending the Porsche training who offered to ask any questions posted (excellent thread followed). Porsche engineers said that the 911 was a race car for the road and required no kid glove handling. All the engine running in is done at the factory.

There is also a school of thought in the motorcycle racing community that piston rings shape to the cylinder properly when they are under pressure so driving gently actually prevents that happening and robs the engine of its potential maximum power. I will leave you to google.

Last edited by JHesketh; 07-03-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Dzu
Intermediate

Old 07-03-2019, 04:46 PM
AGDelaney
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

The two remotes are definitely PVTS - the tracking system. I have them too. Be aware that one is a master. Mibe had a coloured dot on it to signify.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:53 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have PVTS but do not have those black little boxes. Do not understand why you need them for PVTS either.

about running in, dealer told me to make sure engine is warm (as always) but engines are being run in at factory. My manual says nothing about running the engine in.
The following users liked this post:
JHesketh (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by B3rk
I have PVTS but do not have those black little boxes. Do not understand why you need them for PVTS either.
It works a bit like dual factor authentication in the world of computer security. You need both your key and one of these transponders in the car, otherwise Porsche deems the car to be stolen. With normal tracker systems you have to call the tracking agency and tell them your car has been stolen.

If you have PVTS on your car, it seems highly likely that the transponders are in your car somewhere.

My mate spec’d PVTS and never realised (until he came to sell the car) that the two transponders were in the manual wallet in his glove box. He had a 991. The transponders look like small black credit cards with a battery sized bulge in them.

Here’s a picture. Novel way of attaching the transponder. You can get little pouches with a keyring attachment but linking key to transponder seems to defeat the ‘dual factor authentication’ feature.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Dzu
Intermediate

The photo with the break in period information is a screenshot from “GOOD TO KNOW” application, which is released by Porsche.
mentioning that the model chosen in the app is regarding the 992, the model in the subject.
BMW M cars also have a break in period with an oil change at 2000 km..
maybe i am wrong but i will also do the oil change.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:24 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Originally Posted by Dzu
The photo with the break in period information is a screenshot from “GOOD TO KNOW” application, which is released by Porsche.
mentioning that the model chosen in the app is regarding the 992.
Yes. I’m with you. Recommendations like this come with most cars.

It’s certainly a contentious/controversial idea that piston rings shape better under pressure. And there’s a tonne of debate on-line - with very strong assertions on both sides. That’s why I asked the question.

What is interesting is that the racing boys do actually open up their engines and show pistons that have been run in hard vs run in gently after completing a whole race season. You can see the difference; that much is true.

Believers compare dyno readings. They also refer to manufacturers running engines to max revs through the gears and back at the end of production. Then we have the Porsche engineers themselves apparently deviating from the handbook. There’s definitely conflicting views.

We each have to make the choice with our own cars I guess. I certainly have confidence that Porsche manufacture their engines to very fine tolerances and to work hard.

It would be interesting to hear more from those who race 911s.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:21 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

For what's worth, the cars at the PSDS arrive with delivery miles and go straight to the track, no break in procedure, just drive WOT.

Only GT cars have a specific break in, done by the instructors only.

Quick Reply: My 992 came with 2 keys and 2 “remotes”?!