Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally an owner's review for the 992 haters!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 PM
JMO1805
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are not alone YoungTurk. We may be the minority, but this was exactly my desire as well. Everything everyone else is complaining about is what made me actually consider and ultimately order my 911.

Last edited by JMO1805; 07-01-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:40 PM
vtknight
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Very simple - I want the comfort, quiet, and tech of the Panamera, and the looks of a 911.
Originally Posted by JMO1805
You are not alone. We may be the minority, but this was exactly my desire as well. Everything everyone else is complaining about is what made me actually consider and ultimately order my 911.
What people like is subjective - so no one can be wrong. That said - factually - consumers who want what you are asking from a 911 is definitely changing the 911 - it even states this is their new 992 documentation (at least for the non-Turbo and GT models anyway as we haven't seen what Porsche is dong here yet) - and if there are enough of you - factually - you will change what the 911 was created for. The idea of a fully modular platform where you can swap all the luxury and performance into one car as you see fit for any car model, while great for particular consumers, and maybe(?) a good business model overall - defeats the very concept of having different car model options in my opinion as there is no longer a differentiator. I personally don't want my cars to work like an IKEA business-model - but maybe that is the future for Porsche and other car manufacturers.

That said - I am performance minded - so that is my focus - and that is not for everyone. My hope is, as a minimum, Porsche maybe gives you what you want for the non-Turbo and GT models and then keeps the sport/performance focus on the Turbo/GT models for those of us who enjoy the performance heritage "feel" Porsche made in their past cars. Attitudes are changing - that is clear - Porsche will not do anything they don't think will make them money - and the new gen of owner (which is likely the majority) happy. Clearly this new gen of Porsche 911 owner wants the luxury/quiet along with some performance - or else they would not have made these changes.

Looking forward to seeing what Porsche does with their Turbo and GT lineups.
The following 3 users liked this post by vtknight:
groundhog (07-02-2019), JMO1805 (07-01-2019), RG88 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 02:07 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
What people like is subjective - so no one can be wrong. That said - factually - consumers who want what you are asking from a 911 is definitely changing the 911 - it even states this is their new 992 documentation (at least for the non-Turbo and GT models anyway as we haven't seen what Porsche is dong here yet) - and if there are enough of you - factually - you will change what the 911 was created for. The idea of a fully modular platform where you can swap all the luxury and performance into one car as you see fit for any car model, while great for particular consumers, and maybe(?) a good business model overall - defeats the very concept of having different car model options in my opinion as there is no longer a differentiator. I personally don't want my cars to work like an IKEA business-model - but maybe that is the future for Porsche and other car manufacturers.

That said - I am performance minded - so that is my focus - and that is not for everyone. My hope is, as a minimum, Porsche maybe gives you what you want for the non-Turbo and GT models and then keeps the sport/performance focus on the Turbo/GT models for those of us who enjoy the performance heritage "feel" Porsche made in their past cars. Attitudes are changing - that is clear - Porsche will not do anything they don't think will make them money - and the new gen of owner (which is likely the majority) happy. Clearly this new gen of Porsche 911 owner wants the luxury/quiet along with some performance - or else they would not have made these changes.

Looking forward to seeing what Porsche does with their Turbo and GT lineups.

I agree with what your saying but where I strongly disagree is the need to purchase an extremely expensive and often unobtainable GT version just to be able to get the rawer sports car feel that made the 911 so successful and relevant throughout the generations.
The following users liked this post:
nategracey (08-21-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 02:17 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by limegreen
I agree with what your saying but where I strongly disagree is the need to purchase an extremely expensive and often unobtainable GT version just to be able to get the rawer sports car feel that made the 911 so successful and relevant throughout the generations.
I recognize your point - and I also agree. But the market is the market - with shifts to a younger/millennial crowd - and maybe simply to those who want a luxury and comfort-first, performance third perspective - this is likely the way forward for Porsche. Reading the 992 brochure Porsche makes this quite clear.

As a performance and heritage enthusiast - I find this sad and disappointing - but as a pragmatist - I recognize I have little control over the consumer masses and their requirements.

Hopefully Porsche keeps the brands legacy and sports car heritage alive with the Turbo and GT cars.
RobMtz (08-06-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I recognize your point - and I also agree. But the market is the market - with shifts to a younger/millennial crowd - and maybe simply to those who want a luxury and comfort-first, performance third perspective - this is likely the way forward for Porsche. Reading the 992 brochure Porsche makes this quite clear.

As a performance and heritage enthusiast - I find this sad and disappointing - but as a pragmatist - I recognize I have little control over the consumer masses and their requirements.

Hopefully Porsche keeps the brands legacy and sports car heritage alive with the Turbo and GT cars.
Absolutely but the major mistake made by Porsche is now catering primarily to a younger and extremely fickle Asian buyer while alienating the older, loyal western buyer who made Porsche what is today. I don't know where you live but here in the Northeast there are very few younger millennial buyers with both the ability and desire to purchase cars like these.

The problem with placing the heritage in the Turbo and GT cars is that it is simply out of reach for almost any buyer regardless of demographics which seriously limits Porsche's ability to attract the next generation of sports car buyers. This is in stark contrast to the stripped down visceral experience (albeit with lower performance) that was available in the base models of Porsche's past.

To make a long argument short: Porsche's quest for widespread global popularity in the 911 has lead to it becoming far more confused than focused and may ultimately lead to it's demise. For some of us who have owned and loved these cars all our lives it's a painful thing to watch.

TurboS_GG (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 05:35 PM
RG88
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 110 Posts

I was originally considering the 992, albeit after the first year production, but after reading various points of view on here, and viewing vids of the new car and the rear aesthetics, I’m seriously considering a 991.2 Turbo S. My instincts tell me this is a good move at this moment.
TurboS_GG (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 06:07 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

992 is the new 996 (faster than the 993 but hugly like hell)
erik_plus8 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 287 Posts

Countdown to fxz heading to Supra forum 3, 2, 1.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:46 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by limegreen
Absolutely but the major mistake made by Porsche is now catering primarily to a younger and extremely fickle Asian buyer while alienating the older, loyal western buyer who made Porsche what is today. I don't know where you live but here in the Northeast there are very few younger millennial buyers with both the ability and desire to purchase cars like these.

The problem with placing the heritage in the Turbo and GT cars is that it is simply out of reach for almost any buyer regardless of demographics which seriously limits Porsche's ability to attract the next generation of sports car buyers. This is in stark contrast to the stripped down visceral experience (albeit with lower performance) that was available in the base models of Porsche's past.

To make a long argument short: Porsche's quest for widespread global popularity in the 911 has lead to it becoming far more confused than focused and may ultimately lead to it's demise. For some of us who have owned and loved these cars all our lives it's a painful thing to watch.
I hear you - and I don’t know what to say - besides you’re right.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:47 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by RG88
I was originally considering the 992, albeit after the first year production, but after reading various points of view on here, and viewing vids of the new car and the rear aesthetics, I’m seriously considering a 991.2 Turbo S. My instincts tell me this is a good move at this moment.
I, too, believe the 991.2 is a solid investment. That said - I haven’t seen the 992 Turbo and GT cars yet...keeping an open mind.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Countdown to fxz heading to Supra forum 3, 2, 1.
Im not sure if you are capable of posting without unwarranted arrogance or not - but as far as being helpful posts; they aren’t. You literally respond to people like you own a Bugatti Chiron.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 AM
jayson
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
992 is the new 996 (faster than the 993 but hugly like hell)
Eh, that is a bit of a stretch.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by jayson
Eh, that is a bit of a stretch.
I agree 100% - the exterior of the 992 looks great to me. No issues there...interior had a few quirks.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:59 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Reminder - you can set playback speed to 1.25x or even 1.50x in the settings gear icon at bottom left.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:41 PM
RG88
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 110 Posts
Talking

I agree 100% - the exterior of the 992 looks great to me. No issues there...interior had a few quirks.
I actually prefer the 991.2 rear, but maybe I just need to get used to the new wider, chunkier rear

Quick Reply: Finally an owner's review for the 992 haters!