Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally an owner's review for the 992 haters!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:02 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,613 Likes on 2,151 Posts

The new flat screens are nearly unmanageable on real world roads. My wife flatly declined ordering a new Cayenne Turbo S because of the touch screens and stated that she wanted to keep our 2016 Turbo S. That is saying something when a woman who has upgraded her car every two years for decades declines ordering a new car. Having been in a few new 992's I have to agree with her and have no desire to give up the functional design of my current 911 Turbo Exclusive for a 992 Turbo if it has the same tedious touch screen.

I want a 911, not a couch with an iPad...
Old 07-03-2019, 09:13 PM
vtknight
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RG88
I actually prefer the 991.2 rear, but maybe I just need to get used to the new wider, chunkier rear
The back is a slight issue to me. I prefer the rear window tapering in - it makes the car look wider.

That said - the 992’s are the same width as the 991.2 wide bodies - and even though the 992’s have rounder hips (which I like) - the non-tapering window makes it look a little more narrow in my opinion.

The exterior however - is not my issue - and with what I am sure will be improved performance, likely in every area - I would be fine to look at the possibility of going to a 992.1 Turbo S from my 991.2 TS. For me - it’s just the interior - I hope Porsche goes full analog gauges - or at least makes them all visible from the steering wheel - or adds some physical material as the edges of each digital gauge (the F90 BMW M5 does this). Change the shifter and that - and I would definitely consider it.
The following users liked this post:
RG88 (07-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:47 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Absolutely but the major mistake made by Porsche is now catering primarily to a younger and extremely fickle Asian buyer while alienating the older, loyal western buyer who made Porsche what is today. I don't know where you live but here in the Northeast there are very few younger millennial buyers with both the ability and desire to purchase cars like these.

The problem with placing the heritage in the Turbo and GT cars is that it is simply out of reach for almost any buyer regardless of demographics which seriously limits Porsche's ability to attract the next generation of sports car buyers. This is in stark contrast to the stripped down visceral experience (albeit with lower performance) that was available in the base models of Porsche's past.

To make a long argument short: Porsche's quest for widespread global popularity in the 911 has lead to it becoming far more confused than focused and may ultimately lead to it's demise. For some of us who have owned and loved these cars all our lives it's a painful thing to watch.
Totally agree with you and vtknight. The only thing I would add is that these changes are not just between Porsche and the past/future customers but also impacted by what the competition is doing (Ferrari, McLaren, AMG, Aston, R8, Corvette, NSX, BMW M models etc) and upcoming regulatory mandates. Improving just speed and performance seems relatively easy with each new 911 model compared to retaining historical character and focus (especially for for a car with 54 years and 8 generations of history vs the generally much younger and less established competitors like an R8 or AMG).

The fickle new buyers might prefer the techno wonderland in some newer cars, the old guard buyer might be intrigued by the NA engine in the new mid-engined Corvette, the pure sports car enthusiasts might want the track performance of a McLaren. Finding a middle ground to maximize global sales against all these elements (updates from the competition, stifling emissions regulations, trends to digitization, meeting needs for Asian market) is tough and it seems some of the character of older 911 generations has been lost and will continue to diminish for the higher-volume 911 models. Hydraulic steering is never coming back, NA engines and manual transmission will become increasingly rare (all things that all of us liked, I think), safety and fuel-economy options will become standard and maybe default, comfort will increase...

Speaking personally - I am one of those (not so fickle) new buyers and I truly like much of the direction taken with the 992. Aside from the great performance and handling (that I have only read about so far) I love the interior design with all the screens, haptic buttons and uncluttered feel (except the gear-nub). And I love the exterior styling (except the high level brake light). But then I am just a first-time Porsche buyer, and I realize that something is lost with all these changes, both superficial design and actual functionality, to the new model. I can understand why people who have owned many 911s over the last decade or more are morosely thinking how some essential elements of the car they've loved are fading away, and what might happen next...
The following 2 users liked this post by pelucidor:
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-02-2019), Vandakter (08-02-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
992 is the new 996 (faster than the 993 but hugly like hell)
lol
Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 PM
markjeansonne
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

I ordered my C4S last year, just 3 weeks before the new design change!
If I had waited 3 weeks, I would have been stuck with the nub and the fugly little rear brake light that looks like a box.
I had no idea the design was about to change -- I just got lucky when I ordered.
It appears I got in on the last of the 2019 orders, before the 'new' 2019 came out.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by markjeansonne
I ordered my C4S last year, just 3 weeks before the new design change!
If I had waited 3 weeks, I would have been stuck with the nub and the fugly little rear brake light that looks like a box.
I had no idea the design was about to change -- I just got lucky when I ordered.
It appears I got in on the last of the 2019 orders, before the 'new' 2019 came out.
Surf on over to the 991 forum and enjoy.
The following 4 users liked this post by Patriot:
JMO1805 (08-04-2019), Marantz2270 (09-09-2020), PBM (08-07-2019), Sebvelez (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
The new flat screens are nearly unmanageable on real world roads. My wife flatly declined ordering a new Cayenne Turbo S because of the touch screens and stated that she wanted to keep our 2016 Turbo S. That is saying something when a woman who has upgraded her car every two years for decades declines ordering a new car. Having been in a few new 992's I have to agree with her and have no desire to give up the functional design of my current 911 Turbo Exclusive for a 992 Turbo if it has the same tedious touch screen.

I want a 911, not a couch with an iPad...
I'm with you on this.. I was overwhelmed in the new Cayenne. It's not that screens are bad, it's the functionality.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:02 PM
RobMtz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
I recognize your point - and I also agree. But the market is the market - with shifts to a younger/millennial crowd - and maybe simply to those who want a luxury and comfort-first, performance third perspective - this is likely the way forward for Porsche. Reading the 992 brochure Porsche makes this quite clear.

As a performance and heritage enthusiast - I find this sad and disappointing - but as a pragmatist - I recognize I have little control over the consumer masses and their requirements.

Hopefully Porsche keeps the brands legacy and sports car heritage alive with the Turbo and GT cars.
Originally Posted by limegreen
Absolutely but the major mistake made by Porsche is now catering primarily to a younger and extremely fickle Asian buyer while alienating the older, loyal western buyer who made Porsche what is today. I don't know where you live but here in the Northeast there are very few younger millennial buyers with both the ability and desire to purchase cars like these.

The problem with placing the heritage in the Turbo and GT cars is that it is simply out of reach for almost any buyer regardless of demographics which seriously limits Porsche's ability to attract the next generation of sports car buyers. This is in stark contrast to the stripped down visceral experience (albeit with lower performance) that was available in the base models of Porsche's past.

To make a long argument short: Porsche's quest for widespread global popularity in the 911 has lead to it becoming far more confused than focused and may ultimately lead to it's demise. For some of us who have owned and loved these cars all our lives it's a painful thing to watch.
I think the heritage and legacy of Porsche is now focused in the T and mid-engine models (and 911 GT and Turbos) this have been pointed out by reviewers and journalists, long time porsche followers/drivers agree?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:26 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RobMtz
I think the heritage and legacy of Porsche is now focused in the T and mid-engine models (and 911 GT and Turbos) this have been pointed out by reviewers and journalists, long time porsche followers/drivers agree?
I agree and there has been a serious 911 focus shift that started with the 991 and now more so with the 992 and while it's great that Porsche hasn't completely turned their backs on us, many of the legacy cars are still missing the mark as well in my opinion.

The issue with some of the legacy cars for me is that the "T" while certainly a step in the right direction, didn't bring enough to the table in order to differentiate itself from a standard base 991.2.

The 911 "GT" models, while amazing, are priced too far into the unobtainable stratosphere for most of us not to mention extreme overkill in 80-100% of driving situations street or track.

Thankfully, we do still have the mid engine cars as the true/pure sports cars in the lineup and with that being said I'm really looking forward to my 718 GT4 which will be the first time I've willingly and happily traded a 911 for a Cayman. Though I will miss so many things about the 911 it's become very clear to me that Porsche wants the 992 to be their ultra luxury GT car and the 718 Cayman to be their true/pure sports car. As someone who used to buy 911's for that true/pure sports car trait I'm now looking for the Cayman to fill that requirement.
The following 2 users liked this post by limegreen:
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-07-2019), RobMtz (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 09:35 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

911's were always the best sounding cars out there to me. Just can't get over how sad it is that sound is such a negative for Carreras now in the boost-age. And the 992's with the new particulate filter sound like minivans at startup. Unreal.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:52 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
911's were always the best sounding cars out there to me. Just can't get over how sad it is that sound is such a negative for Carreras now in the boost-age. And the 992's with the new particulate filter sound like minivans at startup. Unreal.
May have to bite the bullet and wait for the NA 992 GT3... And take the hit to the wallet as well.
The following users liked this post:
K-A (08-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Finally an owner's review for the 992 haters!