Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Children’s car seat(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022 | 07:57 PM
Hammbone50
Instructor

Originally Posted by doug992
How high can you raise the headrest before it hits the pillar? My kids are so darn tall and trying to find a good fitting that has the max height possible. Car arrives in a month and hoping to get something soon so I am ready to take them for a spin!

Old 02-21-2022 | 05:49 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Going to go carseat shopping soon for my 2.5 year old daughter. Appreciate this thread and will post picture when I finally buy one. Need a carseat though, not booster. There's a local shop here that has seats on display so you can actually try test fitting them.
Old 02-21-2022 | 09:54 AM
Drew46
Drifting

Does the 911 back seat have the LATCH system and the anchor point for the top strap? In some of the pix above, the top strap is not attached (I get that it may just be a demo picture and not how the poster installs the seat).

I cannot emphasize the importance of making sure you find a seat that fits correctly and is installed correctly. My Engine Company has a car seat clinic twice a year and the majority of the seats (by a significant margin) are not actually in correctly. It's a total PIA - particularly in a car like the 911 where there is little room to work in the back seat and you are just popping the seat in for a quick trip. But I have seen the difference that a properly installed seat can have (Tree falls on parkway, hits 2 cars, kills 2 people - Deseret News) and unfortunately have also seen the results when that's not the case. I really am not trying to be the buzz kill or the know it all safety ****, but please just tale this as my personal PSA and make sure you are taking the time to use the seat correctly.
The following users liked this post:
dcrose (02-24-2022)
Old 02-21-2022 | 04:49 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by Drew46
Does the 911 back seat have the LATCH system and the anchor point for the top strap? In some of the pix above, the top strap is not attached (I get that it may just be a demo picture and not how the poster installs the seat).
yes, it has has LATCH anchors and one in the back for a strap.

I actually did a bit of a modification for my kid. He's 7 and just needs a booster for the seatbelt to hit him low enough and not be at his neck. But adding the booster into the back seat put his head almost to the ceiling of the car. So i took the back of the booster (the high back that you run the seatbelt through) and strapped it down to the backrest of the back seat using the latch anchor points. In other words, instead of having the seat cushion of the booster, i'm using the back of it so i can run the seat belt at the appropriate height for him. It actually worked out pretty well. Had to get a little creative in how i actually strapped it down, but it works.
Old 02-22-2022 | 12:04 AM
Hammbone50
Instructor

Originally Posted by achilleas101
yes, it has has LATCH anchors and one in the back for a strap.

I actually did a bit of a modification for my kid. He's 7 and just needs a booster for the seatbelt to hit him low enough and not be at his neck. But adding the booster into the back seat put his head almost to the ceiling of the car. So i took the back of the booster (the high back that you run the seatbelt through) and strapped it down to the backrest of the back seat using the latch anchor points. In other words, instead of having the seat cushion of the booster, i'm using the back of it so i can run the seat belt at the appropriate height for him. It actually worked out pretty well. Had to get a little creative in how i actually strapped it down, but it works.
Any pictures and info on what seat you used and removed the back from? My twins are 7 and worried after all this waiting they aren’t going to fit (1 1/2 years ago started 911 shopping and had my C2S order canceled due to Aerokit backorder and now about 6 weeks until my GTS arrives). Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by Hammbone50; 02-22-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2022 | 11:26 AM
brockbr
Rennlist Member

Pro Tip: REMOVE the rear seat uprights. I've done this on my 997, 991.2, and now my 992. Gives an added 4-6" of room to position the child seat more rearward, giving more legroom.

Takes about 5 minutes on all 3 variants of 911, and is easily reversed.

Last edited by brockbr; 02-22-2022 at 11:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brockbr:
Icegrill (05-01-2023), tourenwagen (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022 | 05:28 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brockbr
Pro Tip: REMOVE the rear seat uprights. I've done this on my 997, 991.2, and now my 992. Gives an added 4-6" of room to position the child seat more rearward, giving more legroom.

Takes about 5 minutes on all 3 variants of 911, and is easily reversed.
Could you post a DIY? I wonder if this would make a Targa and Cab actually usable. The seat backs are too upright IMO. The coupe works fine.

I use the WAYB PICO which is technically a high back booster with harness. Have used it since my son with 3. He love it and says he prefers it on long trips because it doesn’t get as hot as the massive thing in our primary car.
Old 02-22-2022 | 09:59 PM
brockbr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wintershade
Could you post a DIY? I wonder if this would make a Targa and Cab actually usable. The seat backs are too upright IMO. The coupe works fine.

I use the WAYB PICO which is technically a high back booster with harness. Have used it since my son with 3. He love it and says he prefers it on long trips because it doesn’t get as hot as the massive thing in our primary car.
992: The uprights are only held in by the center mount. Pop the plastic cover off (the rear half comes up, but the forward long part goes forward and up). Then remove the bolts, then rotate the seat end out. The anchored part of the seat outboard slides out or its little pivot pocket. Also remove the lower portion of the upright of the seat upholstery (it's velcro'd in).

IMPORTANT: The main point is to move the base as far back as possible somewhat, but mainly to allow the reclined part of the child seat to be MUCH further back. With the seat uprights in place, the base sits about 4-6" FORWARD of the most rearward part of the lower seat because it hits the upright first.

991.1, 991.2, 997.1, 997.2, and 996 are all variations of this video (the main difference is that the center pivot comes out, where the 992 the seat pivots within the mount) (Note: Obviously ignore the part about removing the seatbelts if in fact you use them ):

Last edited by brockbr; 02-22-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2022 | 02:53 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by Hammbone50
Any pictures and info on what seat you used and removed the back from? My twins are 7 and worried after all this waiting they aren’t going to fit (1 1/2 years ago started 911 shopping and had my C2S order canceled due to Aerokit backorder and now about 6 weeks until my GTS arrives). Thanks for any help you can provide!
i have a Graco Affix (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8MSOVK/) booster but any booster with a detachable back should work. Took some trial and error to get the straps nice and tight. I have them going inside the padding, up and down. Oh and i removed the back lumbar area leather covered pad, just to make it fit easier. It's secured by velcro. Simple enough to remove.

Last edited by achilleas101; 02-23-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2022 | 05:56 PM
EricHai
Advanced

Originally Posted by lanlanb
I was able to install my wife’s Maxi Cosi 3-1 Pria temporarily in 992 while I was shopping for a second seat. There is some rubbing in the pillar but otherwise does the job. He is a bit more upright. Front seat has to move up a bit where person 5’3 can sit.

The Clek Fllo arrived and it does fit better with no rubbing. As for kid’s foot room, it is the approx same maybe stick out a half inch more but natural seat position.
Are they good for kids 2 to 3 yrs old? Do you have a link? Thanks!

Last edited by EricHai; 02-23-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2022 | 10:06 PM
Hammbone50
Instructor

Originally Posted by achilleas101
i have a Graco Affix (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8MSOVK/) booster but any booster with a detachable back should work. Took some trial and error to get the straps nice and tight. I have them going inside the padding, up and down. Oh and i removed the back lumbar area leather covered pad, just to make it fit easier. It's secured by velcro. Simple enough to remove.

Thank you! How tall is your kid? Trying to picture mine in this and if the booster back is high enough. Does it extend higher then how you have it now?
Old 02-23-2022 | 10:32 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Anyone have luck fitting a booster seat into the front passenger LWBS?

If so please let me know the make/model.
Old 02-24-2022 | 09:57 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by Hammbone50
Thank you! How tall is your kid? Trying to picture mine in this and if the booster back is high enough. Does it extend higher then how you have it now?
my kid is 4'2", he is not at the "top" of the range for where i currently have the back positioned, and yes, there's room for the booster back to go higher. When i had the seat attached (which is like 3 or 4" thick) the back was hitting the c pillar, so i'd say there's another 3 or 4" minimum that this can accommodate.
Old 02-25-2022 | 08:29 AM
lanlanb
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EricHai
Are they good for kids 2 to 3 yrs old? Do you have a link? Thanks!
Yes, i am using for 2.5 year old.

The official Clek page can be found here: https://clekinc.ca/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAme...0aAgFcEALw_wcB

The model is FLLO. I did purchase at Canadian Tire with some discount/bonus points.

If you want to go with the Pria, it can be found here:
Amazon Amazon

The Pria does touch the pillar even when I had it fully strapped and installed but usable (Please note the photos above of it when located behind driver's seat was just to show comparison of next to the Clek to show leg room).

I did try the Diono 3RXT, but that one was tall and basically sat crooked.

The trick really is to find a seat with a base around 13 inch wide and seat height ballpark under 26 inches.

Old 02-26-2022 | 12:56 AM
EricHai
Advanced

Originally Posted by lanlanb
Yes, i am using for 2.5 year old.

The official Clek page can be found here: https://clekinc.ca/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAme...0aAgFcEALw_wcB

The model is FLLO. I did purchase at Canadian Tire with some discount/bonus points.

If you want to go with the Pria, it can be found here: https://www.amazon.ca/Maxi-Cosi-Pria...ps%2C60&sr=8-1

The Pria does touch the pillar even when I had it fully strapped and installed but usable (Please note the photos above of it when located behind driver's seat was just to show comparison of next to the Clek to show leg room).

I did try the Diono 3RXT, but that one was tall and basically sat crooked.

The trick really is to find a seat with a base around 13 inch wide and seat height ballpark under 26 inches.
Thanks. I just figured out my wife bought one clek foonf in the SUV. Very good quality.

Quick Reply: Children’s car seat(s)