Sponsored by:

Power Steering Plus: yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:07 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
My last Porsche was a 1987 Carrera 3.2, no power steering, which required noticeable muscle to park, and about which the wife complained.
We've ordered our 992 with Power Steering Plus because, frankly, I don't feel like wrestling with the car when trying to parallel park.
It’s fine with or without PSP, seems to me this option is mainly for people who like to maneuver in tight spaces by turning the wheel with the palm of their hand.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:26 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
You sound like a very confident expert on PSP. Ever had it or used it?
Yup don't need it wasn't it. Last car I had with power steering like that was a an older Chrysler New Yorker Hemi, and I put a spinner on that steering wheel. I'm no longer interested in twirling the steering wheel with my finger.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
It’s fine with or without PSP, seems to me this option is mainly for people who like to maneuver in tight spaces by turning the wheel with the palm of their hand.
It doesn't offer that much assistance. This is the big misunderstanding of PSP. PSP offers moderate, barely perceptible assistance - it doesn't turn the car into a 1970's Eldorado. And without PSP, the car is not difficult to turn for even the weakest of people, as even the regular power steering assist is pretty significant. PSP is merely a minor convenience option, no different than a rear view camera, parking sensors, auto dimming mirrors, etc. Not necessary, but some people mind find them nice to have.
The following 4 users liked this post by Archimedes:
detansinn (08-02-2021), dhirm5 (08-02-2021), mikey94025 (08-02-2021), TimD (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 05:05 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It doesn't offer that much assistance. This is the big misunderstanding of PSP. PSP offers moderate, barely perceptible assistance - it doesn't turn the car into a 1970's Eldorado. And without PSP, the car is not difficult to turn for even the weakest of people, as even the regular power steering assist is pretty significant. PSP is merely a minor convenience option, no different than a rear view camera, parking sensors, auto dimming mirrors, etc. Not necessary, but some people mind find them nice to have.
Well, it would have been nice to try the car both ways, so I could feel the difference for myself, but we were only able to test drive a 992 at all because our dealer had a low mileage used car they had taken in trade. I don't even know if the car we tested had it or not. We weren't able to test drive another 992.
I do like to parallel park once in while. I do remember the old manual steering 911's having such heavy steering at parking speed that it required two hands on the wheel to muscle the wheel. More recently, I've had a MINI Cooper S with power steering, now standard on even the smallest cars. Even with 205/45 series tires, and very quick steering, you could maneuver very quickly at slow speed in a parking lot without a workout. (That car had excellent steering feel, by the way).
If the PSP is not noticeable at speed, then I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:06 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't believe there is any difference in assistance. But it reduces turns to lock at parking speed. Had it in my last two BMWs and definitely notice NOT having it in cars when hand over hand is required while parking.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Not only is it barely perceptible, but the "assistance" is progressive.
The following users liked this post:
TimD (08-07-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:51 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
I don't believe there is any difference in assistance. But it reduces turns to lock at parking speed. Had it in my last two BMWs and definitely notice NOT having it in cars when hand over hand is required while parking.
If that is correct, then I would definitely prefer to have it.
As I said, we didn't get the chance to compare in person, so I had to make a choice. I doubt it's going to matter much.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:30 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

There is absolutely a difference in resistance at low speeds in Porsche’s version of PSP. It quickly fades as speeds increase.
peterdouglas (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:09 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

There is absolutely a difference in resistance at low speeds in Porsche’s version of PSP. It quickly fades as speeds increase.
If that's how it works, then I definitely want it.
I can't imagine it feels like a Camry or Avalon.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by garthg
If that's how it works, then I definitely want it.
I can't imagine it feels like a Camry or Avalon.
Here's how I'd describe it. If you drove a car with it, you'd probably never know it. If you drove a car without it, you'd probably never know it. If you drove them both back to back, you'd notice it and, depending upon whether it really mattered to you, you'd decide to spec it or not.

I had it in one car and not in the other at the same time. Personally, I liked it, but not enough to spend $300+ having it installed on the other car by the dealer. I was that indifferent to it. If I were daily driving my Porsche and parking it often, I would probably spec it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Jim986 (05-14-2024), peterdouglas (08-03-2021), slwong23 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 03:45 AM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it disengage in Sport mode? There are occassional hairpin turns in canyon roads and I wouldn't want PSP on in those situations (when in Sport mode that is).
Old 08-06-2021, 08:43 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 221 Posts

I have PSP on both my Porsches and like it although not sure I can notice it. Memory of parallel parking an E36 M3 with a manual transmission got me to check the box. Very difficult to work the steering and shifter on that car simultaneously while parking.

(If you want to test your strength, try turning around a modern pickup truck on a rough concrete driveway surface in a confined space with no power steering. The steering rack had rusted through and the hydraulic fluid leaked out. It was almost impossible to steer when not moving, at least for me.)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:51 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype
Does it disengage in Sport mode? There are occassional hairpin turns in canyon roads and I wouldn't want PSP on in those situations (when in Sport mode that is).
Could you explain your reasoning?
I have experienced no problem with PSP on my 992TTS in any mode or situation.
detansinn (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:55 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype
As mentioned previously, it only works at very slow (parking) speeds. If you are driving canyon roads at a speed where PSP operates, you have a much bigger issue than steering feel.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:57 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Yup don't need it wasn't it. Last car I had with power steering like that was a an older Chrysler New Yorker Hemi, and I put a spinner on that steering wheel. I'm no longer interested in twirling the steering wheel with my finger.
Thanks. That answered my question.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus: yay or nay?