Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:36 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Has anyone posted pics or described the fit and finish of Paint Protection Film? Does it show edges or wrap them? Anyone know the brand being used? If you have it please show pics and comment. Thanks
hi. Quick answer. I have factory PPF on my European agate grey 992. Cannot tell you the brand but clarity is good. Edges are not wrapped. No truth in the rumour that only half the bonnet is covered.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:41 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

My concern with ticking the PPF box is how do you know the paint will be fully corrected before the PPF is applied? Paint jobs from the factory are often not that great. And speaking from experience with PTS, they can be quite awful.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
New Xpel Ultimate Plus I feel has the clarity of the Suntek but with Xpel durability. Just had my TTS wrapped all edges wrapped and full rear quarter so no visible seams.
I feel Xpel is the best right now after moving from Suntek.
Car was fully paint corrected and CQuartz finished.
Looks amazing!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:25 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
My concern with ticking the PPF box is how do you know the paint will be fully corrected before the PPF is applied? Paint jobs from the factory are often not that great. And speaking from experience with PTS, they can be quite awful.
Don't assume anything. Choose a great detailer that can perform a proper paint correction and then enlist a great PPF installer. Good installer will remove headlights, emblems on wrapped area and wrap all possible edges. Don't do it at the port.
Esoteric_Detail (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Don't assume anything. Choose a great detailer that can perform a proper paint correction and then enlist a great PPF installer. Good installer will remove headlights, emblems on wrapped area and wrap all possible edges. Don't do it at the port.
That's the thing, I don't assume anything. I always have my detail team do full paint correction before I have my PPF team do full XPEL Ultimate Plus installation, then ceramic coating. I would be way too nervous ticking the PPF box on the configurator as I'd fear they'd be protecting a subpar paint job (on top of being nervous that the PPF installation wouldn't be quite right).
Esoteric_Detail (10-09-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 06:43 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
+1

my biggest concern for this would be the post care. Installation at factory or port assures Porsche QC and we hope that’s on par with the brand.

but what happens if in 6 months you need to replace film? Who’s now responsible and whose the installer? You’re no longer dealing with the same person that actually installed the original film
Old 10-12-2019, 10:14 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I saw and test drove a 992 at my local dealer. They are having PPF installed locally to customers spec.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

For the price Porsche is charging I would expect a paint correction followed by a custom (wrapped edges wherever possible) installation to the highest standard.
The "factory" install is just another profit opportunity for Porsche and I'm sure they sub it out at the port to hopefully a quality installer who is likely not doing any paint correction and definitely using a precut pattern (and probably getting paid half what Porsche is charging).
An expensive but also a convenient option instead of dealing with it right after delivery when you'd rather DRIVE!
Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 PM
cr-997
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
For the price Porsche is charging I would expect a paint correction followed by a custom (wrapped edges wherever possible) installation to the highest standard.
The "factory" install is just another profit opportunity for Porsche and I'm sure they sub it out at the port to hopefully a quality installer who is likely not doing any paint correction and definitely using a precut pattern (and probably getting paid half what Porsche is charging).
An expensive but also a convenient option instead of dealing with it right after delivery when you'd rather DRIVE!
The obvious solution is to drive it for a couple of weeks. Then paint correct and wrap it.. assuming done properly.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film Quality