Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 05:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film Quality

Has anyone posted pics or described the fit and finish of Paint Protection Film? Does it show edges or wrap them? Anyone know the brand being used? If you have it please show pics and comment. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Michael Wrapper (10-07-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:28 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Has anyone posted pics or described the fit and finish of Paint Protection Film? Does it show edges or wrap them? Anyone know the brand being used? If you have it please show pics and comment. Thanks
You can get the wrap either way. I have mine over cut so all edges can be wrapped. I personally don’t like the die cuts that leave all the edges exposed to the eye. I used XPEL Ultimate on my C7 and 911 C2S. Great product....but the installer is the key ingredient. I had it on a Torch Red Corvette and now in a Sapphire Blue 911. No one can tell it’s on the car if you do full panels and hood. Luster and everything matches perfectly between covered and non covered parts. I could send a pic but you wouldn’t be able to detect it.
JacJen911 (10-09-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:33 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

G650 (10-07-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 AM
jayson
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 142 Posts

Suntek presents clearer but doesn’t have as good protection as xpel. Those are the only two brands to go with.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:18 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

I believe OPs question was with regards to the factory optioned PPF
Old 04-30-2019, 07:53 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by slc4s
I believe OPs question was with regards to the factory optioned PPF
Right. Sorry i was not more precise with my question. I am wondering about the details of the Porsche option for paint protection film for the 992.
I have and am happy with the Expel on my 991 and Macan and am thinking about a 992. The cost looks competitive with the better installers in my area.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:21 PM
jayson
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 142 Posts

Right. Sorry i was not more precise with my question. I am wondering about the details of the Porsche option for paint protection film for the 992.
I have and am happy with the Expel on my 991 and Macan and am thinking about a 992. The cost looks competitive with the better installers in my area.
Is factory optioned truly applied at the factory? Or is it done out the back door of the dealership/port of entry when the car arrives.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:29 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Objective Measurement of Paint Protection Film

The end result of any paint protection film work is completely driven by the quality of the person(s) installing the film. While film is important, a quality installer can take mediocre film and make it look fantastic. Unfortunately, most installers are mediocre (it is a young, but growing industry), so you must do the research to find someone who you trust and who does excellent work. Check out the video below for what average film installations look like, compared to what best practices can deliver.

Originally Posted by jayson
Suntek presents clearer but doesn’t have as good protection as xpel. Those are the only two brands to go with.
This is not true, at all. From a clarity perspective, Stek (not to be confused with SunTek) is the clearest and least-textured. Next is Xpel Ultimate Plus, then ClearGuard Nano, then SunTek. See this article for a full breakdown of how we are measuring film (or paint) to make these claims. Using measurement tools like a multi-facet gloss meter cuts any subjective dialogue out of the equation and makes it purely based on numbers. Stek is the clearest film on the market; period.

All films on the market are 8 mils thick and have the same ability to protect as any other (there are some films that are 10+ mils thick, but are only meant for heavy-duty vehicles). There is no objective difference in how any one film protects versus any other film.

One other aspect of the films is how hydrophobic they are, and/or how well they repel dirt and debris from adhering to the surface of the film. Stek is the only manufacturer that produces their top urethane layer of the film, so they are able to embed a hydrophobic and self-cleaning characteristic into the chemistry of how the film is made. All other films with anything like this are buying their urethane from a third party and then applying a top coat on top of it. Top coats do not last nearly as long, and because the other manufacturers cannot control the manufacturing of the film, the quality of the film is not as consistent as what Stek can produce.
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Is factory optioned truly applied at the factory? Or is it done out the back door of the dealership/port of entry when the car arrives.
Good question. My Macan was a Porsche zone rep's car that I bought from Porsche. He told me it had its partial PPF installed in the US on arrival at the port. It was well done but with exposed rather than being fully wrapped. I am curious to know what the new 992 with that option selected will actually have.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:56 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,089 Posts

My TT Exclusive came with a full Xpel PPF. Interestingly, most of it was completely wrapped with no edge detectible (rolled over or under). The a-pillars, mirrors, roof, spoiler and engine cover were from templates with the edges detectable.

As mentioned above, it is the installer's skill set that makes the greatest difference. I am impressed with the workmanship on my car.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Esoteric_Detail
The end result of any paint protection film work is completely driven by the quality of the person(s) installing the film. While film is important, a quality installer can take mediocre film and make it look fantastic. Unfortunately, most installers are mediocre (it is a young, but growing industry), so you must do the research to find someone who you trust and who does excellent work. Check out the video below for what average film installations look like, compared to what best practices can deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFdk2GkIFkc

This is not true, at all. From a clarity perspective, Stek (not to be confused with SunTek) is the clearest and least-textured. Next is Xpel Ultimate Plus, then ClearGuard Nano, then SunTek. See this article for a full breakdown of how we are measuring film (or paint) to make these claims. Using measurement tools like a multi-facet gloss meter cuts any subjective dialogue out of the equation and makes it purely based on numbers. Stek is the clearest film on the market; period.

All films on the market are 8 mils thick and have the same ability to protect as any other (there are some films that are 10+ mils thick, but are only meant for heavy-duty vehicles). There is no objective difference in how any one film protects versus any other film.

One other aspect of the films is how hydrophobic they are, and/or how well they repel dirt and debris from adhering to the surface of the film. Stek is the only manufacturer that produces their top urethane layer of the film, so they are able to embed a hydrophobic and self-cleaning characteristic into the chemistry of how the film is made. All other films with anything like this are buying their urethane from a third party and then applying a top coat on top of it. Top coats do not last nearly as long, and because the other manufacturers cannot control the manufacturing of the film, the quality of the film is not as consistent as what Stek can produce.
Thanks for this informative reply.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Jhomas11
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. My Macan was a Porsche zone rep's car that I bought from Porsche. He told me it had its partial PPF installed in the US on arrival at the port. It was well done but with exposed rather than being fully wrapped. I am curious to know what the new 992 with that option selected will actually have.
I agree. I have been told that the install is done at port. Kind of scares me and I feel like I would rather have the dealer do it so that they are responsible if there is an issue with it rather than having to contact PCNA for a blemish etc. Plus the dealer usually has someone to do it that costs less.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:38 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jhomas11
I agree. I have been told that the install is done at port. Kind of scares me and I feel like I would rather have the dealer do it so that they are responsible if there is an issue with it rather than having to contact PCNA for a blemish etc. Plus the dealer usually has someone to do it that costs less.
The price for PFF in the configurator seems competitive with high quality film and install in the DC/Baltimore area- for "template" (exposed edge) bumper cap, headlights/mirrors. I was wondering if it was installed at the factory during assembly where all that would seem easier to wrap edges.

Local installations that entail paint correction, disassembly of various parts, fully wrapped lights, frunk etc., or additional body parts that some folks get done can cost more. Not a complaint: time and talent cost, and a job well done is well worth it.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Good question.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

New Xpel Ultimate Plus I feel has the clarity of the Suntek but with Xpel durability. Just had my TTS wrapped all edges wrapped and full rear quarter so no visible seams.
I feel Xpel is the best right now after moving from Suntek.
Car was fully paint corrected and CQuartz finished.
Attached Images     
G650 (10-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film Quality