Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No cup holder in 992

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 03:11 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Clutchplate, I noticed the Penn State seal on your Excite o Meter graphic. Is there a significance? I'm a State College resident and Penn State alum.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
All the more reason to not drink in the car. If people would simply plan accordingly they would never need to consume food or beverages while operating or sitting in a vehicle.
That's hardly reasonable. The car exists to serve me, and not vice versa.

If your goal is to design a high-end road car that consumes hundreds of miles of asphalt at a time while keeping the driver fresh, alert, and engaged, you are simply not doing your job by neglecting human factors. You might as well go back in time and try to use the same argument to convince the Europeans to give up their ashtrays.

The cup holders in the previous gen cars are perfectly suited for the exception or rare instance where it's somehow necessary. It's only our American mentality "busy on the go" with a fashionable beverage in hand nonsense that demands and considers these cup holders to be a necessity.
The old ones were fine, except for the business about mounting one of them directly over the console switches. I take that as a subtle reminder that the car is supposed to be more about driving than drinking. That's fine. I don't mind a bit of passive-aggressive attitude from the engineers now and then, as long as I think they know what they're doing. What I do mind is incompetence.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:04 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That's hardly reasonable. The car exists to serve me, and not vice versa.

If your goal is to design a high-end road car that consumes hundreds of miles of asphalt at a time while keeping the driver fresh, alert, and engaged, you are simply not doing your job by neglecting human factors. You might as well go back in time and try to use the same argument to convince the Europeans to give up their ashtrays.
I don't agree that it's ignoring human factors and quite the opposite actually. With distracted driving being the number one cause of automobile accidents in the US perhaps it's time we stop treating a 3k lb. weapon as a mobile office or restaurant and put the focus back on the only task that should be at hand behind the wheel.

I think that ashtrays are also stupid and that they should be removed for a number of reasons.

Humans are not meant to consume hundreds of miles at a time without stopping to take a break, eat or DRINK and use the bathroom, smoke etc. That's how a driver remains fresh, alert and engaged.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Clutchplate, I noticed the Penn State seal on your Excite o Meter graphic. Is there a significance? I'm a State College resident and Penn State alum.
No. I doubt they would have taken my kind.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:29 PM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

So any word on whether Porsche is planning on fixing this for those who already have their cars ordered?
Old 05-26-2019, 09:39 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
I've said it before but the tiny gearshift nubbin next to the huge elevated cup-holder just didn't look too great in an otherwise wonderful looking interior (to my eyes). I think most people would have taken out the cup holder insert anyway to use the more flexible open cubbyhole for phones, wallets etc. Glad to see it can hold drinks reasonably well too...
So what does the smoker’s package look like?
Old 05-26-2019, 11:33 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
It looks something like this...... ( sorry I couldn’t resist)

Old 05-26-2019, 12:33 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk

Regular cup holder

Cupholder with ashtray insert

Interesting point that if cupholder no longer available then does that mean the no-cost ashtray option is gone too?
Old 05-26-2019, 12:41 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor

Regular cup holder

Cupholder with ashtray insert

Interesting point that if cupholder no longer available then does that mean the no-cost ashtray option is gone too?
IMO, they’re both ugly so actually better without. But there should be some sort of flat lid for the cubby hole like in previous models to create a “finished” look.

Of course having no cup holder for THE DRIVER is annoying. I assume Porsche will fix this even before 992.2.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:36 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

The cup holder has now become a crumb holder. Take it from me, I (erroneously) went without the smoking package in my GTS. I oped for the smoking package in my GT3T. The smoking package in my Touring is now mission control for my laser jammer/radar detector (pictures to follow in another thread).
Old 05-26-2019, 04:52 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

I drove a 2015 Cayenne and it had a hand brake. What a shame!
Old 06-28-2019, 02:02 AM
porkribs17
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a letter from Porsche GB asking car to be taken in for a porsche central console refitting for a 3 hour appointment. Anyone heard anymore and any piccies ?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:06 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

I asked my SA directly about the cup holder here in Switzerland. He responded:

“Dear James. Don’t worry, your car will definitely have a cup holder. There were indeed issues about the position of it but this was solved.”

My car is due end September. We’ll see then.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:46 AM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Absolutely! They were very clever, well engineered and felt special and worthy of being in a Porsche. Most importantly, when not in use they were hidden from view and not the main focal point of the center console.
I like the cupholders in my 991 turbo and I especially like the fact that they're completely hidden from view when not in use. But my full leather dash has a few scuff marks on it in that area from my fingernails hitting the leather above where you push to reveal the cupholders.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:11 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by JHesketh
I asked my SA directly about the cup holder here in Switzerland. He responded:

“Dear James. Don’t worry, your car will definitely have a cup holder. There were indeed issues about the position of it but this was solved.”

My car is due end September. We’ll see then.
This has to be one of the funniest comments ever, about a brand new $150-ish world class sports car.

Quick Reply: No cup holder in 992