Sponsored by:

No cup holder in 992

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 08:19 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Three auto execs are arguing on a golf course about the nature of the Devil.

Alfa Romeo executive: "The devil is obviously an Alfa engineer. Otherwise I'd have to admit that the Giulia was my fault, and I'd probably be fired." Tesla executive: "Clearly the devil is a Tesla engineer. When someone wrecks one of our cars, the same firefighters who rushed to the scene on 9/11 start running the other way." Porsche executive: "Ach, nein. The devil is a Porsche engineer. Who else would put a cupholder right next to a parking brake?"
As someone who owns an Alfa, a Tesla and soon a Porsche this is hilarious
Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember that in my 2014 Alfa you couldn't fully pull up the handbrake when the armrest was down
Old 05-08-2019, 06:16 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

It might sound kind of silly, but the design of the cupholders in the 981 (and 991) make my car really endearing to me.

(not my car btw)

Just the thought that someone took the time to design all this, just to hold my cup, is really cool.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (06-28-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
I remember that in my 2014 Alfa you couldn't fully pull up the handbrake when the armrest was down
In my '99 Miata (5MT) you can't change gears if you put a drink in the 'cupholder' which also requires the armrest to be fully up when using it...
Old 05-08-2019, 10:42 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by various cheeses
It might sound kind of silly, but the design of the cupholders in the 981 (and 991) make my car really endearing to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqGK43jMDxY (not my car btw)

Just the thought that someone took the time to design all this, just to hold my cup, is really cool.

Absolutely! They were very clever, well engineered and felt special and worthy of being in a Porsche. Most importantly, when not in use they were hidden from view and not the main focal point of the center console.

The 992 cup holder placement is just flat out unoriginal and lazy much like the rest of the cars design...
TurboS_GG (06-28-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by various cheeses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqGK43jMDxY (not my car

This cupholder is even more risky than the one in the 992. If you spill coffee it is going to go all over the center console switches, not just the parking brake.

Plus it is to flimsy. I have put a bottle of water in there and sometimes it goes flying out of the cupholder which is why I always keep the lid on.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Americans and your cupholder fetish...hilarious!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:47 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Americans and your cupholder fetish...hilarious!
We do what we can.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Seems like a lot of drama over a minor change because:

1) You can just put your cup in the existing hole, and
2) If you want a cupholder, I'm sure aftermarket will have one available shortly.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:01 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

I'm much more interested in where the car rates on the excite-o-meter. Everyone looks so studious and serious in the video reviews. Are they having any fun?

Old 05-08-2019, 02:01 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
This cupholder is even more risky than the one in the 992. If you spill coffee it is going to go all over the center console switches, not just the parking brake.

Plus it is to flimsy. I have put a bottle of water in there and sometimes it goes flying out of the cupholder which is why I always keep the lid on.
I think it works well and have had no problems with it. I make sure there is a lid on the cup, but I’ve never had any drinks fly out. The holder can be tightened around the drink. I would not use it on the track though.😄

I like that the holders are hidden, rather than out in the open like most other cars.
TurboS_GG (06-28-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:07 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Seems like a lot of drama over a minor change because:

1) You can just put your cup in the existing hole, and
2) If you want a cupholder, I'm sure aftermarket will have one available shortly.
Agree there is a bit too much drama, but this IS the iconic 911 we’re talking about and a car over 120K should come with the option of a driver’s cup holder.

In response to your 2 comments:
1) If you have a thin water bottle (a common drink), it’s not going to fit well in the cubby hole though.
2) You’re probably right, but should the buyer of a new 911 really have to bother with that? Time is valuable. I don’t want to deal with that.

My guess is Porsche will fix this soon, even before 992.2.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:09 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

All the more reason to not drink in the car.

If people would simply plan accordingly they would never need to consume food or beverages while operating or sitting in a vehicle.

The cup holders in the previous gen cars are perfectly suited for the exception or rare instance where it's somehow necessary. It's only our American mentality "busy on the go" with a fashionable beverage in hand nonsense that demands and considers these cup holders to be a necessity.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
Agree there is a bit too much drama, but this IS the iconic 911 we’re talking about and a car over 120K should come with the option of a driver’s cup holder.

In response to your 2 comments:
1) If you have a thin water bottle (a common drink), it’s not going to fit well in the cubby hole though.
2) You’re probably right, but should the buyer of a new 911 really have to bother with that? Time is valuable. I don’t want to deal with that.

My guess is Porsche will fix this soon, even before 992.2.
Yes, you are right, but I'd rather they spend time delivering a $120K car that is rattle free. I've had Lexus and Hondas that i've kept for many years that had zero rattles, but my brand new 911 - am chasing some down after just 2K miles. Anyway, that's off topic...
Old 05-08-2019, 02:54 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

I actually use the passenger cupholder 100% of the time because of this - if it jostles around or spills the worst that happens is it gets on the door. I never actively drink while driving anyway, so having it be all the way over there is fine.

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I'm much more interested in where the car rates on the excite-o-meter. Everyone looks so studious and serious in the video reviews. Are they having any fun?
The general consensus I've gotten from reviews is that it's a bit too capable at street driving - you get only a little excitement unless you're really pushing it.
I'll probably have to put mine on a drag strip simply to get it over 100 legally - can't buy a 911 and be happy with going the public road speed limit :P

Quick Reply: No cup holder in 992