Sponsored by:

Longevity of automatic door handles in the 992

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
It's a well known issue, just youtube tesla door handle frozen.

Tesla owners are too busy saving the earth to file a lawsuit.
Just googled Tesla door in winter - wow so many hits about doors being frozen during the crazy polar vortex.

I know Porsche tests their cars in the frigid winters, I hoping for the best here for these 992 door handles.

What is funny for years (since I was a kid), I never worried about door handles, it just worked in every car. Now all of a sudden, I have to talk and wonder about door handles.

I guess it is hard to be simple these days.

Simplicity is always the best design
Old 02-17-2019, 11:38 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Just googled Tesla door in winter - wow so many hits about doors being frozen during the crazy polar vortex.

I know Porsche tests their cars in the frigid winters, I hoping for the best here for these 992 door handles.

What is funny for years (since I was a kid), I never worried about door handles, it just worked in every car. Now all of a sudden, I have to talk and wonder about door handles.

I guess it is hard to be simple these days.

Simplicity is always the best design
Checked the configurator for PHDH option. Not there yet. How could they miss this chance?
Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

You mean the ones that freeze in the cold spectacularly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqD8CqAdyo0
Probably what inspired Elon Musk to start manufacturing flame throwers.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

...like I said, why on earth would Porsche want to associate it's flagship vehicle in any way with Tesla? I'm not saying Porsche copied Tesla's design but just the fact that they look similar is enough for people to associate one with the other.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:18 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

You mean the ones that freeze in the cold spectacularly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqD8CqAdyo0
Like with any tech... I'm sure things will get better with time. I saw a Land Rover testing video where they covered the car with ice and the handle punched thru the thin layer of ice.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ST BERNARD
We only have 27 Post discussing the Door Handles. There must be another 50 people who want to comment on the handles who have never either seen the door handles or tried them. After reading about all the door issues I am thinking about canceling my 992 order and buying a Ford. They apparently have good door handles.
Good one....LOL
Old 02-17-2019, 03:46 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

The 992 Cup car will have an outside mechanical door release. Might be able to be retrofitted? If so, might confuse the central-locking software.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
I think they have to have a back up system. I know some cars have a separate mechanical lever and others have a system where if you continue pulling the electronic handle it becomes a mechanical latch.

After getting some extensive hands on time with a pre production 992 I can say that the handles are quite complex and that they release both electrically AND mechanically, here’s what I observed :

The exterior handles fold out when first unlocked and remain extended until all the doors, hood and engine lid are closed.

The exterior and interior door handles have two stages.

The first stage from either handle actuates an electric latch that releases and pops the door open exactly the same as C6+ gen corvette.

If either handle is pulled further past that first stage it releases the door latch mechanically in the conventional manner. This means that if the battery is dead or if there was a malfunction with the electic latch the door can still be opened conventionally.

The exterior handle can be opened in either the retracted or extended position though more difficult in the retracted position of course.

After learning that they are electrically released I wonder why they didn’t just opt for an exterior electric switch in a very small cutout of the door to achieve the cleaner look they desired without the added complexity of the pop out handle.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 514 Posts

Tesla cars have had tons of repairs on their handles......I spoke to a Tesla taxi owner in Europe and said he replaced them 13 times in a year!
Old 02-17-2019, 06:36 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by limegreen

After getting some extensive hands on time with a pre production 992 I can say that the handles are quite complex and that they release both electrically AND mechanically, here’s what I observed :

The exterior handles fold out when first unlocked and remain extended until all the doors, hood and engine lid are closed.

The first stage from either handle actuates an electric latch that releases and pops the door open exactly the same as C6+ gen corvette.

If either handle is pulled further past that first stage it releases the door latch mechanically in the conventional manner. This means that if the battery is dead or if there was a malfunction with the electic latch the door can still be opened conventionally.

The exterior handle can be opened in either the retracted or extended position though more difficult in the retracted position of course.

After learning that they are electrically released I wonder why they didn’t just opt for an exterior electric switch in a very small cutout of the door to achieve the cleaner look they desired without the added complexity of the pop out handle.

Very fascinating post

Originally Posted by abiazis
Tesla cars have had tons of repairs on their handles......I spoke to a Tesla taxi owner in Europe and said he replaced them 13 times in a year!
I will go insane if I have do that. Seriously!!! all my cars till date had no door handle fail, this is something I never even think about.

This is just asking for unnecessary headaches and time waste to get door fixed that much . Holy crap. There is no excuse for this. Definitely gonna wait for 2021 992 models and see what the reports come out for 992 2020 owners.

My time is way more valuable than to beta test doors.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

The exterior handle can be opened in either the retracted or extended position though more difficult in the retracted position of course
So why the unnecessary complexity?

Also, do you have to pull the bumper to do an oil change?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Most of you guys must be a lot younger than I am if you have no recollection of door handles that easily fail. My first car was a '59 Austin-Healey 100/6. The door handles were made of white metal. They were only attached at the rear, so you had to pull the little "wand-like" handle straight out, then back 90 degrees toward the rear of the car. If the mechanism became stiff for any reason the handle would simply break off in your hand. After replacing a few of these I threw the last one as far as I could, slid the plexiglass side curtain forward, then reached inside the door cavity and pulled down the wire which was the inside door release. At least it made the car that little bit harder to steal.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:39 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by kwikit356
Most of you guys must be a lot younger than I am if you have no recollection of door handles that easily fail. My first car was a '59 Austin-Healey 100/6. The door handles were made of white metal. They were only attached at the rear, so you had to pull the little "wand-like" handle straight out, then back 90 degrees toward the rear of the car. If the mechanism became stiff for any reason the handle would simply break off in your hand. After replacing a few of these I threw the last one as far as I could, slid the plexiglass side curtain forward, then reached inside the door cavity and pulled down the wire which was the inside door release. At least it made the car that little bit harder to steal.
Wow!!!! Yes, I am way way way younger to you. '59 Austin-Healey 100/6 is your first car....that is amazing. What did you do back then to get a car like that? That is a car is babe magnet, if I had that in high school or in college, the my popularity with the ladies would have surged to all time high

Crazy, door story....but I can see that happening in the classic cars.

I guess with the new tech, the doors are coming full circle in a weird way. Reading about the Tesla door handles in cold - all these door stories of 2019, 2020 will sound super old school well in about 30-40 years from now.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:56 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

So why the unnecessary complexity?

Also, do you have to pull the bumper to do an oil change?

Good question!

I believe the oil service procedure will be identical to the 991 where the compartment vent fans need to be removed in order to gain access to the oil filter.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Good question!

I believe the oil service procedure will be identical to the 991 where the compartment vent fans need to be removed in order to gain access to the oil filter.
Right. The fans and shrould lift right off to reach the oil filter.

The intercoolers were moved from the wheel wells to over the engine, but I suppose the rear bumper cap still needs to be removed (a 15 min job for the experienced but a PIA for the DYIer) to change the air filters ever 40k miles or so.

Quick Reply: Longevity of automatic door handles in the 992