Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   Longevity of automatic door handles in the 992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1129356-longevity-of-automatic-door-handles-in-the-992-a.html)

captainkirk 02-15-2019 12:41 PM

Longevity of automatic door handles in the 992

Hi,

I was watching some videos of old Tesla S, and in the video the reviewer even said that after a while the automatic mechanical door handle breaks needs to be replaced. This is quite annoying as the 992 has it. I do not have any experience with door handles like these. What happens in an emergency, and you need the door open?

Just surprised that no one is really talking about this in depth

Thoughts

InTgr8r 02-15-2019 01:09 PM

I noticed in some review vids, it looks like the doors can be opened without activating the extending feature.
Unlike Tesla's, there is still a hand hole that you can get your fingers under the handle.

Psorcery 02-15-2019 02:39 PM

No one cares because these 992 cars, and cars today in general are no longer keepers. They're rentals.

gary.lee 02-15-2019 04:58 PM

they look flimsy. you can break it if you pull really hard

OHWHATDA 02-15-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by gary.lee (Post 15641468)
they look flimsy. you can break it if you pull really hard

I tried them at the LA Auto Show. They didn’t feel flimsy. But they did feel like they maybe required too much force to pull, like they were sprung slightly too hard. The door was locked though so I’m not sure if that affects the feel of the door handle.

captainkirk 02-15-2019 05:35 PM

Still trying to figure out if the doors can be opened in an emergency easily when there is no power etc. I went through some major stuff many years back, opening the door in an emergency was key (long story, will share it someday).

Boggles my mind why Porsche over engineered a door handle; it is absurd - there really is no benefit to this.

FrenchToast 02-15-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by captainkirk (Post 15641543)
Still trying to figure out if the doors can be opened in an emergency easily when there is no power etc. I went through some major stuff many years back, opening the door in an emergency was key (long story, will share it someday).

Boggles my mind why Porsche over engineered a door handle; it is absurd - there really is no benefit to this.

Over-engineered, yes.

Benefit - potentially some negligible aerodynamic benefits, and it looks like Tesla. Everybody likes Tesla, for some reason. FWIW, I've heard that the rear doors on the Tesla have no way of being opened in the event of an electrical system failure. You have to climb to the front, where there is a manual release latch.

Ignoring the driveline of the Tesla, I would never want one based on the above, if it is indeed true.

That said, I imagine that the doors can be manually opened in the event of an electrical failure. I would be shocked if TUV, DOT, JWL, etc., did not mandate that at least two opposing doors in all vehicles must be able to be opened via a mechanical system. It should be all doors, but obviously not as Teslae are sold in many countries.

IIRC the new Acura NSX has electronic brake pedal, but has a redundant mechanical system. Or the engineers wanted an electronic pedal, but couldn't due to regs? Something like that.

Same with electronic-input steering. In a failure, some sort of vacuum system connects a mechanical shaft in cars that have electronic steering input.

gary.lee 02-15-2019 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by captainkirk (Post 15641543)

over-engineered to nth degree. door handles wont improve aerodynamic that much. you need to get rid of rear mirrors to get noticeable difference

Noah Fect 02-15-2019 08:12 PM

Germans gonna German. :crying:

Porsche911GTS'16 02-15-2019 08:30 PM

Change for the sake of change, but to the detriment of the overall look of the car, in my opinion. I think the 991.2 door handles look great and function perfectly. The sign of a good door handle? One that you do not have to think twice about how to use it when opening the door.

Noah Fect 02-15-2019 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1347795

captainkirk 02-16-2019 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Noah Fect (Post 15642065)

I can not read any of it on my computer....

gary.lee 02-16-2019 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16 (Post 15641890)
Change for the sake of change, but to the detriment of the overall look of the car, in my opinion. I think the 991.2 door handles look great and function perfectly. The sign of a good door handle? One that you do not have to think twice about how to use it when opening the door.

could not agree more. they changed a bunch of things for the sake of change.

poverty spec 02-16-2019 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by captainkirk (Post 15642257)
I can not read any of it on my computer....

That’s the joke.

captainkirk 02-16-2019 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by poverty spec (Post 15642423)

That’s the joke.

lol....omg...I totally fell for it.